Questions: Servicing

doggie

When should i go for my 1st servicing? Called PML they told me 12k .. read some thread it says 5k . Pls. help .. very confused . Just got my ride last month now already 2k . My 1st time buy new car. from mw knowledge Jap car 2k 1st servicing.. So when should i go ? Should i bring down my own 5 L Mobil Fully Syn to PML ? what rating is advisable?

Re: Questions: Servicing

Oh there is a thread also same as yours last month. If i still remember that Thread It says........For Continental car is diff from jap car. so for your BMW can do the 1st servicing at 12k or maybe 11k....But still there are some ppl do their 1st servicing on 5k. So still depend on you , i think??? Or you can try to find the thread and get more info frm there.. sorry can't help you much but i also just got my car abt 1.5 mth, for me think i will do my 1st servicing at around 11k.

doggie;376377 said:
When should i go for my 1st servicing? Called PML they told me 12k .. read some thread it says 5k . Pls. help .. very confused . Just got my ride last month now already 2k . My 1st time buy new car. from mw knowledge Jap car 2k 1st servicing.. So when should i go ? Should i bring down my own 5 L Mobil Fully Syn to PML ? what rating is advisable?

Bro, it's 12k.
Next time you on your car, look at your OBC, it should tell you how much km left to servicing date. For your case, it should show 10k more to servicing date.

I've done 6k over 3.5mths and has not done any servicing yet.

Another thing is, pls use ron 98. I tried to see if there's any difference by alternating between 95 and 98 twice and 98 definately makes the car feels even better to drive.

If I spent over $100k on a car, i would do at least an oil change at the first 2k. Then at 5k, then every 10 after that.

Ive done an oil change on an engine after 1 hour on the dyno. Dont muck around with new engines and oil

no need to waste money on so many oil changes.

just follow your condition based indicator. the new setting is more than adequate to meet sgp driving condition. the old setting of about 25k is questionable.

phil;378736 said:
If I spent over $100k on a car, i would do at least an oil change at the first 2k. Then at 5k, then every 10 after that.

Ive done an oil change on an engine after 1 hour on the dyno. Dont muck around with new engines and oil

Well, as per what you will have read, if you had done a search on the topic ! hahaha

Anyway, there are 2 schools of thought:-

1) You paid so much for the car, don't save on nitty gritties. Change oil at 1k, 5k, and then either every 5k or 10k thereafter. Afterall, the driving conditions of the car is rather different from where it was made. Take good care of your car, it will serve you well.

2) follow the OBC's recommendations, and service as and when needed. So first service is approximately 12k, and second service is approximately 19k later. (according to my last service) You don't have to service it regularly, just do it as and when the OBC determines that you need to change oil.

So different folks different strokes, some points to consider is, how long you gonna keep your car for, what kind of owner you are...etc...etc...

I don't think anyone is wrong here.. just depending on how "anal" the owner is.

If you are bringing your own oil for the services, a 320i needs 4.2 litre of oil, so you will need to bring 5 litres for them to use. The rating required is 10/40. i think.... i am using 0/40 and they told me no issue. I also find that my car burns less oil with the mobil ones compared to the BMW oil, which is actually Castrol, manufactured by BP oil.

First service (12k) from PML will cost your about $220 or so. if you bring your own oil, it should be about $70. They will tell you they need 1 day... mine took 2 days for a normal servicing.... crap.. hammer them hard, you will get your car back in 0.5 days.

Henry,

I agree with you on servicing time. I asked firmly and got my car back in the afternoon. Sent it in at 8:30am, got a call at 2pm telling me it is ready.

Hey guys thats for the help its been really helpful . Since my ride is alreadi at 2.3k guess i will wait till 5k for my 1st servicing. As for the Oil will try to get my hands on mobil 1 10/40 since thats recommended.

2 days for servicing... thats damn long lar.... anyone tried brining in on Sat Morning and its done by afternoon ? hahah ... that'll be much easier! dun have to take leave just to bring car for check up !

to keep the warranty, just follow the service indicator and change it at PML... the in-betweens, you can do it outside and PML wont have a clue... unless they really want to check engine oil grade etc etc... if you are worried, use either BMW or Castrol oil...

Can go R2D and look for Rodney...Oil cxhange...etc can be done there.. He is good...

Hi, ur service indicator will prompt u for servicing in due course... 1st service around 10-12km or after 1 year coz some owners do not clock high mileage. hope it's a useful advice. cheers.

Went for my first servicing appointment at Sime Darby Centre.

Got to wait more then half an hour past the appointment time for the Service Agent to attend to me and more then one hour past the promised time to collect my car. Is this normal at Sime or the same for all 3 PML svc centres?....Any Bro care to share as i am sure no one likes to wait so long for this $300 oil change....

HI Vicool, maybe the advisors were tied up? Suggest if next time u go for servicing, can do a drop off service if u do not need to speak wif advisors. Means u leave the car key & instructions to the reception and the advisor will ring u when he receives ur car. Expect some waiting time at all centres if the advisors are tied up.

Nicole 3858;386619 said:
HI Vicool, maybe the advisors were tied up? Suggest if next time u go for servicing, can do a drop off service if u do not need to speak wif advisors. Means u leave the car key & instructions to the reception and the advisor will ring u when he receives ur car. Expect some waiting time at all centres if the advisors are tied up.

Nicole. guess you're working for Performance?

I followed the old school and have my ride 1st old change at 2,000; and another at 7,000 and the car always felt so smooth. Did it at J4C, can't remember price but have the impression that it is not very expensive. Already spent that much bo buy a brand new BMW, why petty about relative small sum to keep the car in excellent condition and more importantly, peace of mind?

Nicole 3858;386619 said:

Would advise against the drop off service actually. I did that recently, and collected my car, only to find a small ding in one of the doors. And of course the CSA disclaimed any responsibility as they did not inspect the body condition at the handover.

I have to say that there are some CSAs who are genuinely dedicated to their work, but they are so stretched day-to-day they are perpetually flustered and make you wait a long time, even with an appointment.

PML should really consider hiring more staff, especially since they've sold so many cars here.

I'll make an appointment, be there 15min early and inform the CSA when making the appointment that I will be waiting for my car and for them not to wash the car. Good that my car is too low to go up the washing bay too.

Don't mind if I hi-jack the thread a little? Just sent in my car for servicing (btw, its a 7 year old 7 series E38) and the came up with a complete lists of items that required immediate attention and the bill amounted to 7K plus in parts and 4k plus in workmanship. Most of the items were wear and tear items like bushings, tie rods, cracked rubber gaskets, O rings, air condenser fan unit and pumps. Also was my power steering which had a little problem because of leakage and not to forget the double wishbone suspension. All in all, the repair and replacements of old parts including labour charges would amount to 12k....I'm really not keen on paying this price but I guess its the price you pay if u leave things unattended for too long especially so when I've already done 121,000 km on the car. Was wondering if there are any reputable workshops around that does full servicing and parts replacement for a price cheaper than PML....

razer;390755 said:
Don't mind if I hi-jack the thread a little? Just sent in my car for servicing (btw, its a 7 year old 7 series E38) and the came up with a complete lists of items that required immediate attention and the bill amounted to 7K plus in parts and 4k plus in workmanship. Most of the items were wear and tear items like bushings, tie rods, cracked rubber gaskets, O rings, air condenser fan unit and pumps. Also was my power steering which had a little problem because of leakage and not to forget the double wishbone suspension. All in all, the repair and replacements of old parts including labour charges would amount to 12k....I'm really not keen on paying this price but I guess its the price you pay if u leave things unattended for too long especially so when I've already done 121,000 km on the car. Was wondering if there are any reputable workshops around that does full servicing and parts replacement for a price cheaper than PML....

Don't mind me saying this... 12k repair for a 7 years old car... you might be better off selling the car, add in the 12k to the selling price, and get a 5+ to 6 years old 7 series?

Back