Polishing/protection - Brand New Car

sw25

Tried searching, but couldnt find a topic on it.

Taking delivery of a new car in 2 weeks. Any thoughts if I should send for polishing immediately after collection, or any other paint protectors?

Car will be in white.

Appreciate any input from bros.

Re: Polishing/protection - Brand New Car

Previously there was an article on paint protection under exterior section but this section has since closed shop.

On my personal opinion and experience, there is this sonax nano paint protection system which I find it reliable.

Where to get it? There is one under the sponsor here but I have done mine at AMK autopoint.

PM me if you need contact.

sw25;815611 said:
Tried searching, but couldnt find a topic on it.

Taking delivery of a new car in 2 weeks. Any thoughts if I should send for polishing immediately after collection, or any other paint protectors?

Car will be in white.

Appreciate any input from bros.
Do not polish. Reason, below r simple facts:

Waxing: Adding on a layer of wax... unfortunately 'wax protection' has low heat and water resistance, therefore it will 'melt' or 'washed' away by heavy rain respectively.
Polish: Effectively removing a layer from the multi-layer coating your ride has. After couple of polishing your ride's paint will begin to loose it's shine and will eventually become dull.

Best is get your ride's body coated by one of e less than 5 good brands/companies out there e.g. Sonax and Revol get good reviews by forumers. Although I personally like Sonax, I never go to them because I have confidence in my current mobile grooming service known as Green Genie (been their customer for 8 years). Well, I might check them out for their Import Night's Specials LOL

It is not poilishing nor waxing, it is just a biodegradable product and it applied with water where it removes dirt while adding a coat of protection. It is resilient to rain and sunshine. They charge 1st time grooming at S$120-180 (small to large) depending on vehicle size. Recommended frequency of grooming maintainence is once per 3 months (we can opt for monthly too), each subsequent groom after 1st is at 50%. When we wash e ride, we only need water wash to maintain e protection, shampoo not recommended.

No membership, cash, pay per grooming, will meet at your venue or his. Only serves Eastern SG. If u want his contact, u can pm me.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

It really depends on your priorities. A proper polish will help remove paint defects and swirls, if any, and prepare for application of a wax or protectant. The wax / protectant part is just a layer on top of your paint work to guard against contaminants. Very different things. Personally, I think it's a waste to apply expensive protectants on badly prepared paintwork so unless you're OK with swirls and holograms, just go ahead with a wax / PPS. If cost is a concern, consider a DIY job. High performance coatings are very easily available at your supermarkets and online and in many cases, can match or surpass what many pros offer. You will be surprised at the results a little time and elbow grease can give you.

However, if you're fussy about the paint finish, then it's not a matter of whether or not to polish but who does your polishing. The swirls and holograms from bad polishing jobs are simply uneven sections of clear coat which do not reflect light uniformly. Someone with proper skills can remove most, if not all of these through a proper, staged polish process which, in effect, evens out the clear coat. Yes it does wear down the overall thickness of the clear coat but this really is a minimal percentage vs. overall clear coat thickness. What is more dangerous for your paintwork is a rotary polisher in the wrong hands. A few seconds too long or a little too much pressure can work right through the clear coat. Sadly, very few shops get this part right and instead, try to sell magic coatings that claim to last years!

New cars require much less work than weathered specimens but if you are fussy (again, it's all about your own expectations), best to send it to a professional who can do a once over with a fine polish to flatten out the clear coat and help recommend you a good wax or PPS to use. And yes, new cars do often come with paintwork swirls.

As with all things - caveat emptor!

2012f30;818460 said:
Any comment on Diamond Brite?

Tried it after kena hard-sell. Does what it's supposed to - bead water, protect etc etc but nothing over and above what any other synthetic product does.

Save your money. A bottle of Meguiar's NXT from Giant costs less than $50, lasts longer, performs better and most of all, doesn't tell you all kind of grandmother stories about how good it is.

Definitely helps but also depends on how much you want to spend...

am considering to groom mine since it has lost is shine and wet look, am thinking of Detail Lab or Revol and inputs/advice . Diamond Brite or Swissvax is better as both groomer use different products, I has seem Detail Lab on my friend black car and the paint correction and surface preparation work are very detail.

It is more worthwhile to save all the grooming and go for colour spray every 2.5 years.

Samuel Tan See Teng;818984 said:
It is more worthwhile to save all the grooming and go for colour spray every 2.5 years.
Dun disagree but some pple like to see the car shiny shiny all the way... And some pple dun drive so long till re-spray... Some also welly rich, car seldom drive, under shelter in own porch...

KEKE...

Samuel Tan See Teng;818984 said:
I beg to differ because based on my grooming regime, it would work out to be [1x S$150 + (3x S$70)] + [8x (4x S$70)] = S$2.6k excluding water wash for 9yrs+... think still cheaper than a new coat of paint every 2.5yrs excluding price of washing.

My previous ride had the same coat of paint for 9years+ before I exported it.

Last edited by a moderator:

anvillyson;818958 said:
am considering to groom mine since it has lost is shine and wet look, am thinking of Detail Lab or Revol and inputs/advice . Diamond Brite or Swissvax is better as both groomer use different products, I has seem Detail Lab on my friend black car and the paint correction and surface preparation work are very detail.

Have not used Revol so can't comment there but would highly recommend Detail Lab.

Ben, the owner, personally works on every car and knows his stuff really well so he can recommend what's best for your car and also clearly explain why, if you're interested. Key thing for me is that he is clear about work and charges and does not try to up sell the latest and greatest "nano technology" or whatever they're calling it these days.

No complaints about the PPS package I've chosen - my cars have never looked newer & more delectable, and Carbon Black is a real bitch to maintain, so I'm thankful Revol's been doing a good job thus far.

At the end of the day, I reckon one PPS is the same as another - they all claim to do what they promise - I guess it's how they do it that will make the difference, and as bro hamsup has said, a personal touch or personal attention would obviously be a plus point, because someone is taking personal responsibility for our vehicles.

Insofar as that point goes, I am pleased with the personal attention to detail that Gavin at Revol's been demonstrating thus far, to my cars, as well as to the cars of the many bros here that utilize his services.

I mean, if squatting down & spending a good 3 to 4 hours in undoing a door dent isn't personalized, I don't know what else to call it (and yes, the door dent removal service is included in my PPS package).

Every groomer has his own products which will lay claim to heaven and earth kind of shine or paint protection, its up to the discerning consumer to find which one he wants or DIY...

If I am a total DIY freak like Terry, I would not go for PPS or grooming sessions as I would do everything myself..hence the phrase DIY Freak..but as I am a half-baked DIY fella, I prefer to have a brand new car paint protected, and then maintain it regularly with DIY OTS products like Meguire

NO CAR can look like brand new if you don't do your part by taking care of it and and it would be grossly unfair to blame any groomer or PPS product for failing to do its job when the owner does not even wash the car or take care of it..Wobbles I never say you hor even tho u ask ur maid to wash car....I am saying some forummers here whom I KNOW FOR A FACT goes to PPS or grooming and then do not wash or wipe dirt off the car for months and then come in here complain and bitch tat all PPS or groomers are con men OR even say reviewers like me and wobbles con them into going for a particular groomer etc... con ur cow dung face

Eh, eh, I am now washing my own car (well, at least the F13)... I also make sure I wear super short shorts, so when I squat down, I mimic a rambutan plantation & get all the Leticias sexcited... I learn from the guru MW.

U need to also wear skimpy half torn singlet....show cleavage and one nipple type...even the MILFs will kay kay walk by and back and by again pretending to look for something they dropped...

/wobbles busy scribbling notes....

Hi guys, i am new here and have just gotten a preowned silver BM. I want to do a one time polishing to clear my paint defects as the feel of the paint is not really smooth. After that, i will get a wax to protect the paint. I am considering 2 options,
1) go revol to polish my car and buy Collinite 845 to wax(DIY)
2) go tough seal to settle everything

Cost is definitely a factor but the more carnuaba look on my silver car ismore important to me. Anyone can advise? Thanks!

I was actually looking at the Williams F1 paint protection, but have been told it has since closed down. Can anyone comment if the Revol product is similar?

Chagrin;823207 said:
I was actually looking at the Williams F1 paint protection, but have been told it has since closed down. Can anyone comment if the Revol product is similar?
Wow, e brand certainly behaves like a F1 i.e. biz up fast fast and folded fast fast too :lol2:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bet78art
Back