Overhaul Transmission - Sep 2006 E90 320 PFL

Re: Overhaul Transmission - Sep 2006 E90 320 PFL

Hi pengful, please share with me the cost and workshop. Thanks :)

pengful;782806 said:
Pretty fast hand, fast leg the workshop I must say. Dropped off at around 11 am and picked up at 5.30 pm... half a day's work!

One thing that is obviously missing is the JERK! Car no longer jerks when coming to stops but because I have been feeling those jerks for so long, no jerks feel so unreal. The transmission runs smooth now, no intermittent breaks between gear changes and no ERROR CODES! Then again, I will continue to monitor for a few more weeks. It is like a huge stone taken off my shoulders as I had always feared that the transmission will kaput and leave you in the middle of the road when you least expects it. With the money spent, I will not look at the new 3 or 5 until the next few years (I hope) or until the COE comes down to a reasonable level, like $15K for Cat B. What goes up must come down, right?

Before I left the workship, I was shown the old innards of the transmission assembly; seals, clutch, solenoids, oil pan seperator panels, etc, which were either hardened or worn out. At least, all that were replaced with new ones. Warranty given was 6 months but they will extend another 6 months if you go back for an oil change before the 1st 6 months is up.

That's all folks. If you need the contact, pm me.

Some bros mentioned coding. Is it necessary to re-code the gearbox?

I don't think my workshop did any re-coding, since it is mostly mechanical, but I'll ask the boss again.

Update
I called them up and they did the recoding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Samuel;782906 said:
Glad to hear that all's well Derek. Hopefully, the problem doesn't re-surface again. Good luck! :)

Sam, so far the drive is good. I'll contact you later.

Pengful, I want to know too. Pls PM me the cost n workshop.
Tks.

Wonder they replace or repair the Mechatronics?

All the best bro!
Hope u enjoy the ultimate driving machine again!

Do pm me the workshop and price pls! Thanks

My 06 320i transmission was also overhaul with mechatronics replaced last month, after gearbox refuse to change gear on the road (stuck at 2nd gear). Car was towed to workshop.
All jerkyness is gone and gear change is smooth and more responsive.

Hi Pengful,

Please PM me the workshop and cost. Thanks :)

TohTo;783217 said:
My 06 320i transmission was also overhaul with mechatronics replaced last month, after gearbox refuse to change gear on the road (stuck at 2nd gear). Car was towed to workshop.
All jerkyness is gone and gear change is smooth and more responsive.

Thanks for sharing. This is the kind of scenario I was trying to avoid.

Likewise, after everything replaced, the car is now more enjoyable and peace of mind really.

Please PM me the workshop and what it cost you for the job. Thanks.

my car was always jerky when moving off... can feel the gear change. last weekend did atf and filter change. reset gearbox adaptation. now ride feels very smooth. hardly can feel gear change. hope it stays this way.

Thanks for sharing Pengful. I also encountered the similar back in early 2011 which was later diagnosed to be the Mechatronic unit.
I am driving a E90 320i A N46 with steptronic gearbox, M steering, BMW Pro Radio unit & M knob (will get back to this later)Was at that time driving on North South Highway before CNY and when i accelarated above 120km/h to overtake another car. The gear warning light came on. first time ever seen it come on so just thought nothing of it and continue at 110km/h until abt 30mins then the temperature warning also came. so decided to slow to 90 km/h. Noticed that it was only running at a specific gear ratio. Then at Malacca came upon a rest area and switch off the engine.
After re-starting the car, found alarms gone and car gear ratios engaging normally.
On the 3rd day on CNY, drove back to Sg. again same thing like above happened midway. When reached JB, stopped at petrol station to top up the car. After that re-started the car, but this time the gear warning light didn't go off and shit!! Cannot engage the gear. On Park only. Cannot shift. That being a sunday, called a mechanic friend and tried troubleshooting with him over the phone.
Can't call tow truck because can't engage gear means cannot put neutral to push the car also.
Finally found the emergency bypass lever to disengage the gear from Park position and could put to drive and slowly drove back to Sg hoping no jam!
The next day sent to the workshop and left it there.
When they checked and gave me a call to confirm to go ahead with the replacement. Apparently when the previous Owner fhad the M gear knob fitted and connected to the g/box, the wiring was wrong and the knob was continuously lighted up even when the car was off. This caused a continuous stream of small current to go through the Mechatronic unit which ultmately lead to it's demise...
The workshop told me i was lucky the steptronic g/box was still in 1 piece. So they replaced the oil pan with strainer since the mechatronic unit was there. re-programmed the EGS and upgraded my software ...
That time they did a diagnostic check and told me that some error codes indicated mis-firing and could be the coil but they told me to see if it still was there when i was next back for service. Unfortunately, the coil went along with the starter and battery about a month ago ....
Just sharing the problems i encountered so far...

Bro pls pm me the name of workshop.thks

pabloiceman;787445 said:
Thanks for sharing Pengful. I also encountered the similar back in early 2011 which was later diagnosed to be the Mechatronic unit.
I am driving a E90 320i A N46 with steptronic gearbox, M steering, BMW Pro Radio unit & M knob (will get back to this later)Was at that time driving on North South Highway before CNY and when i accelarated above 120km/h to overtake another car. The gear warning light came on. first time ever seen it come on so just thought nothing of it and continue at 110km/h until abt 30mins then the temperature warning also came. so decided to slow to 90 km/h. Noticed that it was only running at a specific gear ratio. Then at Malacca came upon a rest area and switch off the engine.
After re-starting the car, found alarms gone and car gear ratios engaging normally.
On the 3rd day on CNY, drove back to Sg. again same thing like above happened midway. When reached JB, stopped at petrol station to top up the car. After that re-started the car, but this time the gear warning light didn't go off and shit!! Cannot engage the gear. On Park only. Cannot shift. That being a sunday, called a mechanic friend and tried troubleshooting with him over the phone.
Can't call tow truck because can't engage gear means cannot put neutral to push the car also.
Finally found the emergency bypass lever to disengage the gear from Park position and could put to drive and slowly drove back to Sg hoping no jam!
The next day sent to the workshop and left it there.
When they checked and gave me a call to confirm to go ahead with the replacement. Apparently when the previous Owner fhad the M gear knob fitted and connected to the g/box, the wiring was wrong and the knob was continuously lighted up even when the car was off. This caused a continuous stream of small current to go through the Mechatronic unit which ultmately lead to it's demise...
The workshop told me i was lucky the steptronic g/box was still in 1 piece. So they replaced the oil pan with strainer since the mechatronic unit was there. re-programmed the EGS and upgraded my software ...
That time they did a diagnostic check and told me that some error codes indicated mis-firing and could be the coil but they told me to see if it still was there when i was next back for service. Unfortunately, the coil went along with the starter and battery about a month ago ....
Just sharing the problems i encountered so far...

Hi, sorry to hear about your problems. I had the M gearknob fitted as well, and noticed after switching off and locking, the knob lights up after a few minutes. Not sure how long it stays lit but by the next morning the car is is full "sleep" mode and the light is extinguished. Wonder whether this is any cause for concern? The knob has been fitted for some 3 years plus without incident.

Hi Bro,

Can PM me the workshop and damage for the overhaul of the gearbox?

Thanks alot in advance :)

hi, can pm me the name of workshop and cost as well?

i have the same problem, not sure if i want to repair it, or live with it

Back