Official 2012 BMWSG Sepang Track Day Thread

Re: Official 2012 BMWSG Sepang Track Day Thread

Hi Ken! That's a real cool car, and you're a super cool guy and a big help. Sorry I just had to speak my mind, it's nothing personal and you know that. Would love to run at a track day, or even just a run group with you, where the cars are all under 700kg, all small and light, all under 2:30. It may be possible soon with an increase in the number of these types of cars.

Yes there was a Radical running at the most recent BMWsg trackday and indeed it does show how easy it is to get onto a slippery slope if the community does not stick to its agreement and goes by whim instead. Shortly we could be running GP2 and LMP1 cars right next to road cars lol. Again it's nothing personal... I see Liam almost every week at the track and have massive respect for his humility, despite being very experienced as a driver and racer, passionate and fast, and the only guy so far in 2 years to challenge and trade lead multiple times and cleanly with Paul in the master class of a sanctioned race.

I agree with you fast car doesn't always equate to a dangerous driver or situation, but all else equal, it does raise risks. It's the nature of it all - small, low, light, high closing rates. The concern isn't purely with the faster car either, but the fact that a hesitant or forgetful newbie that changes his line abruptly, or doesn't see you and turns in on you. In the last year there've been at least 3 cases of sudden brake failure in full size high power cars with no brake ducting, so T boning is a very real possibility too even if both drivers make no driving error. In a bad contact, the concern is for the physical well being of the driver in the much smaller, lower, lighter car.

Anyway that's just my opinion. You know I like focused cars like these... just have to speak mind about them being run in roadcar trackdays. Most Singaporeans, especially the less confident ones like newbies, etc. are not going to speak up even if they're kind of spooked by a much faster car that they did not actually see, blazing by them. At 2 vs 3 mins, that's lapping them every 3 laps. It's kind of natural to think that those with fancy expensive cars are big shot experts and to complain risks things getting personal, etc. so best keep quiet. You know that kind of thinking...

Which perhaps brings us back to the topic of A and B spec trackdays, or run groups....

totoseow;718849 said:
cool shit darth. how much to run these things? paddle shifts some more! ok i like.

Glad you like it :D It is an awesome car to drive and easy too. I was not able to overcome the mechanical grip and I know that I should be going faster just so that the aero comes into play. Takes a whole paradigm shift to drive this car. Turns 5 and 6, and 10, 11, 12 and 13 feels completely different.

As for the running cost, I am not sure yet. This car is a 2008 car and we have discovered some issues with it that will need rectification. After that, I expect it to be as reliable as the Atom and able to do at least 40 laps each trackday.

I expect the tires to last about 120 laps. Oil change after 2 trackday sessions. Brake pads is an unknown for now.,

Tires cost about USD1400 per set delivered to Singapore.

So the running cost should be about USD600 per track session. This is before petrol cost.

This car would be good practice for the Super Trofeo ;)

Hi Shaun. No worries, I know it is not personal. In fact both of us were surprised when we saw the Radical on the track and were talking about it.

I understand your POV and also understand that this is a non profit club event that hopes to promote a TD culture within its members. And you are just voicing out what the silent majority's
(minority?) concerns.

My hope is that by exposing more people to these cars, first the Ariel and now the Juno, that people will realize that there is a viable alternative to tracking their daily car and it does not cost that much if shared by a few friends.

I think that as the TD scene matures, we would see more and more of such cars. In the not too far future, we may get to see 3 Atoms running together at a BMW trackday ;) Ariel owners call that a Molecule :D

I will abide by whatever the club decide.

Shaun;718863 said:
Hi Ken! That's a real cool car, and you're a super cool guy and a big help. Sorry I just had to speak my mind, it's nothing personal and you know that. Would love to run at a track day, or even just a run group with you, where the cars are all under 700kg, all small and light, all under 2:30. It may be possible soon with an increase in the number of these types of cars.

Yes there was a Radical running at the most recent BMWsg trackday and indeed it does show how easy it is to get onto a slippery slope if the community does not stick to its agreement and goes by whim instead. Shortly we could be running GP2 and LMP1 cars right next to road cars lol. Again it's nothing personal... I see Liam almost every week at the track and have massive respect for his humility, despite being very experienced as a driver and racer, passionate and fast, and the only guy so far in 2 years to challenge and trade lead multiple times and cleanly with Paul in the master class of a sanctioned race.

I agree with you fast car doesn't always equate to a dangerous driver or situation, but all else equal, it does raise risks. It's the nature of it all - small, low, light, high closing rates. The concern isn't purely with the faster car either, but the fact that a hesitant or forgetful newbie that changes his line abruptly, or doesn't see you and turns in on you. In the last year there've been at least 3 cases of sudden brake failure in full size high power cars with no brake ducting, so T boning is a very real possibility too even if both drivers make no driving error. In a bad contact, the concern is for the physical well being of the driver in the much smaller, lower, lighter car.

Anyway that's just my opinion. You know I like focused cars like these... just have to speak mind about them being run in roadcar trackdays. Most Singaporeans, especially the less confident ones like newbies, etc. are not going to speak up even if they're kind of spooked by a much faster car that they did not actually see, blazing by them. At 2 vs 3 mins, that's lapping them every 3 laps. It's kind of natural to think that those with fancy expensive cars are big shot experts and to complain risks things getting personal, etc. so best keep quiet. You know that kind of thinking...

Which perhaps brings us back to the topic of A and B spec trackdays, or run groups....

discom;718922 said:
In the not too far future, we may get to see 3 Atoms running together at a BMW trackday ;) Ariel owners call that a Molecule :D

Hahah that's a good one! Mate we'll make something like an Ethane molecule ;) Mark my words!

discom;718894 said:
Glad you like it :D It is an awesome car to drive and easy too. I was not able to overcome the mechanical grip and I know that I should be going faster just so that the aero comes into play. Takes a whole paradigm shift to drive this car. Turns 5 and 6, and 10, 11, 12 and 13 feels completely different.

As for the running cost, I am not sure yet. This car is a 2008 car and we have discovered some issues with it that will need rectification. After that, I expect it to be as reliable as the Atom and able to do at least 40 laps each trackday.

I expect the tires to last about 120 laps. Oil change after 2 trackday sessions. Brake pads is an unknown for now.,

Tires cost about USD1400 per set delivered to Singapore.

So the running cost should be about USD600 per track session. This is before petrol cost.

This car would be good practice for the Super Trofeo ;)

thanks ken...all high speed corners. looking at the video, it looks like a mega high speed go kart. gonna take a lot of fitness to drive that thing without fear. respect. make exotic drivers look like sissys...

totoseow;718849 said:
cool shit darth. how much to run these things? paddle shifts some more! ok i like.

I think you should source 2008 F1 car, it is 1.37 timing one.

TripleM;719468 said:
I think you should source 2008 F1 car, it is 1.37 timing one.

i think u shud gimme a blowjob right now...n ass rim at the same time...after which i will cum on ur frog face n yank ur hair n video u slumped onto a public toilet bowl. :ultrasho:

Shaun;719028 said:
Hahah that's a good one! Mate we'll make something like an Ethane molecule ;) Mark my words!

Knowing what you have planned, I look forward to seeing how you are going to achieve it. And if you achieve it, will that particular Atom still be allowed on BMW track days? :laughlik:

totoseow;719030 said:
thanks ken...all high speed corners. looking at the video, it looks like a mega high speed go kart. gonna take a lot of fitness to drive that thing without fear. respect. make exotic drivers look like sissys...

Yeah, fitness for sure. Had to wear a full race suit, I almost overheated while waiting for a red flag incident to be resolved.

One disadvantage about this type of cars is that strapping in takes a while and once strapped in, I am unwilling to unstrap again if it means strapping in again in 10 minutes.

Sissys? Don't think so...it takes balls to drive an exotic full on.

discom;719499 said:
Knowing what you have planned, I look forward to seeing how you are going to achieve it. And if you achieve it, will that particular Atom still be allowed on BMW track days? :laughlik:

Heahha if going faster means being unable to drive at BMWsg trackdays, I'll gladly leave it in a much slower state. As absolute proof, can even limit the tire type and width for BMW trackdays, unbolt aero, so no matter what it's always severely limited. :thumbsup:

discom;719515 said:
One disadvantage about this type of cars is that strapping in takes a while and once strapped in, I am unwilling to unstrap again if it means strapping in again in 10 minutes.

That's where your race queen comes in to assist, esp with the lowest 2 belts on the harness... hehhe.

Time to get a cool suit :thumbsup:

Shaun;718620 said:
I'm not sure why if the community voted mere months ago and came to clear consensus as shown by the numbers, why the trackday is moving against the collective decision towards inclusion of cars that are such far outliers in terms of performance. Do the votes not matter? Or is there going to be a re-vote every time one of the regular group goes ahead and purchases a new racecar with massive performance some 30-40% (literally) better than the best roadcars that make up 95% of the usual trackday population?

When online, you are really a very rude person. While I appreciate that your info in this particular thread add on to our collective knowledge, I dont appreciate your tone.

The poll that you started cited Touring, GT and Formula cars. Some cars that didnt fall into any of these categories like the radical, atom and 2-11 even had their own category. To my limited knowledge, the Juno is not a touring car. It is not a GT class car. It is not part of any formula series. More than half the forummers don't know what it is, I bet. That's why I asked it in a discussion forum.

Who here knows it'll run 1.56 in Sepang? I certainly didn't.

What's wrong with you shaun? Can you don't be like that or not? Everytime you go onto the internet you become a different person. I'm irritated.

totoseow;719489 said:
i think u shud gimme a blowjob right now...n ass rim at the same time...after which i will cum on ur frog face n yank ur hair n video u slumped onto a public toilet bowl. :ultrasho:

:whythis: :errrrrrr::screwedu:

Racebred;719753 said:
When online, you are really a very rude person. While I appreciate that your info in this particular thread add on to our collective knowledge, I dont appreciate your tone.

????? The questions are genuine.. meaning to say... prototypes are massively fast cars, as fast or faster than Formula cars, 211s, Atoms, etc. all 3 of which are cars or classes of car that were voted on as specific options in the last poll.

The question about voting is.. are they to take place periodically like every 3 months, 6 months, year, 2 years, etc. Or does a new vote take place when a regular buys a new monster car (20 - 40% faster than basically all the cars that attend). For example after this Juno which is basically an LMP3 car, say Jeremy retires and wants to get a monster GT1 car for fun. The possibilities are endless and lots of people want to get cars way faster than current. So.. time based or event based polls..this is something the trackers can also discuss and decide correct?

I don't see what's wrong with asking those questions to active trackers and why you are turning it personal?

The poll that you started cited Touring, GT and Formula cars. Some cars that didnt fall into any of these categories like the radical, atom and 2-11 even had their own category. To my limited knowledge, the Juno is not a touring car. It is not a GT class car. It is not part of any formula series. More than half the forummers don't know what it is, I bet. That's why I asked it in a discussion forum.
Yah it's great to open up the discussion, no doubt about that. So why are you angry with me if I add information so people can make a decision in case they think they're adding a car that is something like a much slower 211, which is like an Atom with different bodywork? And that it is really 30+% faster than the fastest roadcars that I thought the trackday was for? How is that rude?

Who here knows it'll run 1.56 in Sepang? I certainly didn't.
I'm not even saying it'll run 1:56 for sure, just saying it'll be in that range given equal tire to Formula V6 cars. Getting it more into the ballpark so people can decide better.

What's wrong with you shaun? Can you don't be like that or not? Everytime you go onto the internet you become a different person. I'm irritated.
I would ask exactly the same questions in real life man.. word for word...really.. Are you sure you are not reading things wrong because it is plain text and not in real life? What does attacking me personally and publicly just because I ask 2 questions accomplish?

Last edited by a moderator:

I am a new BMW-SG member. This will most probably be a first post. Recently purchased a new bmw ride. Really keen on track days with the BMW club. However the existence of exotics and cars which are much faster intimidates me.

Mitsubishi track days are full of evos and mivec lancers. Honda track days are full of typeRs and DC5s.

Yet, our BMW track days are filled with Porsches? Lambos? Atoms? Junos?

Are BMWs allowed on Porsche track days? Are we welcome on Honda track days?

Why are we different? Why are we the dumping ground of track days?

If we have 40 BMWs confirmed for every track day, or if we have even 20 BMWs that are willing to pay $400 for every track day confirmed, I will make it a BMW-only track day. Come join us if you are interested in the sport; it will certainly be good to up the BMW count. I have no say in PCS or honda track days, but it's clear that the decision to not make this a BMW-only TD is purely economical, not political.

On the other matter, is the intimidation real or perceived? An M3 GTS makes more power than a Modena. How?

anggarda;728087 said:
I am a new BMW-SG member. This will most probably be a first post. Recently purchased a new bmw ride. Really keen on track days with the BMW club. However the existence of exotics and cars which are much faster intimidates me.

Mitsubishi track days are full of evos and mivec lancers. Honda track days are full of typeRs and DC5s.

IMHO odds of someone in a honda/mitsubishi forum owning a lambo/porsche etc is lower than a bmw forum so perhaps thats why you see more exotics from this forum?

there is only one reason. n thats because this is the friendliest and safest track day.

anggarda;728087 said:

u r new..u wun understand.

It's very easy to solve this problem. If it is acknowledged that the member section is accessible by those who in general are more known to the community (have attended meetups, know most of the old timers, have been referred and approved by at least 2 mods etc.), then run staged signups where the first 2 weeks the trackday is posted to members folder to let all the members and BMW drivers fill it up as much as possible. If 12 slots remain, then these get posted in the public track section so the larger population can take them up.

That way you don't get situations where old members and/or BMW drivers want to attend, but can't because some non-bmw guy who no one in the regular community knows anything about, non contributory on the forum, has never been to meetups, has taken the spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8may88vip
Back