Official 2012 BMWSG Sepang Track Day Thread

Racebred

Core Group Members
Guys, the 2012 schedule for our BMWSG Sepang track day bookings are out.

1) 4 Feb 2012 Saturday 9-12pm (3 hours)
2) 8 April 2012 Sunday 12-4pm (4 hours)
3) 2 June 2012 Saturday 9-12pm (3 hours)
4) 19 August 2012 Sunday 12-4pm (4 hours)
5) 26 October 2012 Friday 9-12pm (3 hours)
6) 14 December 2012 Friday 10-1pm (3hours)

Please take these dates down in your calendars.

I tried to get all saturdays, but even as early as Q3 this year, many dates have already been reserved, so these are the most convenient dates that I can secure, while keeping a nice 2 month break in between each session, and avoiding major public holiday NSH jams.

Re: Official 2012 BMWSG Sepang Track Day Thread

As a continuation of our discussions from the 2011 thread, I would like to summarise these points of considerations. I will come out with some suggestions, and then after your inputs, we can adopt them as guidelines for the registration process for our 2012 track days.

- Rollover of track fees to next track day. We shall stop all roll-overs of track fees till the next track day. This is because as the track days went by, we have a bigger and bigger block of participants automatically getting a slot in the next track day, and a huge % of spaces are blocked out the moment the regstration starts. Thus, those who cannot make it will have their fees forfeited, or refunded, or passed on to next guy according to whether we have > or < 40 cars. However for this final 2011 track day, as I'm closing out the account, I endeavoured to refund every single guy who pulled out of the TD. Remember we had about 60 cars, we now have 40. This process was extremely tiring for me, especially when I only have a maximum number of online transfer accounts I can leave in my internet banking acc, meaning I have to constantly delete and add new payees. Thus, I will try to minimise refunds until towards the end of the year. However this also means that even if you have funds with me, you will have to re-register for the next track day as if it is totally unrelated to the previous one, but the only difference is that you need not pay again. This would work, but you will need to trust me with holding onto your track fee.

- Block registering. We have had people coming in to block register for their friends. This fills up the list pretty quickly too. Collectively how do we feel about this? Should we hae a limit on how many people can one member register for? And if yes, then will it be 2, 3, or any other limit?

- Eligibility. We have had observations on people who only come to our TDs and are usually not part of our overall bigger community. To touch on this point, we need to reexamine our purpose of organising this BMWSG track day. We are doing this on a non-profit basis to benefit our club members with activities, and also to introduce BMW owners to the sport of track driving. If this was done like a profitable business then eligibility will not be an issue, but because it is not, we need to reexamine the group of participants who are benefitting from this voluntary event. There are several different groups of participants currently:

a) Active members of BMWSG.
b) formally active members of the forum, or not active in the forum at all, but have consistently been around for events and activities like track
c) friends of BMWSG members but are not active in the forum, but have consistently supported the track day organisations from 7-8 years ago when it was in dire need of support.
d) friends of BMWSG active members, who are not active in the forum, but are recently joining our track days only and no other events.
e) New forummers who drive BMWs.

My view is to include a, b, c , e. What are your views? Please give me your thoughts. Remember we do need to balance demand and supply. Too much contriction of demand will also have a detrimental effect on the viability of the continuation of the TDs. Everyone who has joined us previously all played a part in keeping this exercise alive.

Also, how do we enforce this? If a relative stranger signs up for the track day in time and pays up in time, then if we at that time have some eligibility criteria, then how do we enforce it after we carefully read through the list?

- 4 hour track days. I have managed to secure 2 x 4 hour track days. The cost is still the same per hour, at 6000rm/hr. So the track fee should be simply upped by a third. With 4 hours, we have some flexibility. How do we want to use this? There are a few ways, which are
a) a simple 4 hour track day
b) segregating the hours into portions where we can do low-car-count session, time laps, other activities like mini races, drags or drift sessions, newbie coaching and orientation, or simply squeezing more participants into the track day without feeling overcrowding because of longer time. Any other ideas? Just keep in mind the hourly rate, and the segregation cost can be easily calculated.

- Cost. I'm toying with the idea of upping the charge by S$5 per pax to S$200 (instead of $195). The extra $5 is to cover some of my costs, especially nowadays I'm just travelling up to Sepang without tracking my own car, but just to facilitate the event. The ringgit equivalent is 450rm. It's already a nice round number so I dont want to touch that. And everyone has the freedom to choose which currency to pay in. For avoidance of doubt, should the track fee be entered into our reserves, I will enter $195 instead of $200. Is that alright with everyone?

- Payment. Because our situation has somewhat changed since 2 years back when I took over the running, from an oversupply to one of overdemand, the original purpose of securing a registration slot by payment is now redundant. I will still require pre-payment to be safe, but from 2012, we will have 2 weeks to make the transfer. So that I dont inconvenience you guys by requiring everyone to rush to make payment, but 2 weeks should be comfortable enough for everyone to find time to make the payment.

- Block payment. From the other thread, there's a suggestion for regular trackkies to pay for upcoming sessions (and possibly for the whole year's) in one shot. It sort of goes against the idea of preventing rollovers because they block out chunks of seats. But this is something we can explore too, perhaps with no refunds. But if the trackkie cannot make it, this might block out one proper slot should the guy not be able to make it, because it's not a matter of $ here, but rather making good use of the slot for as many members to enjoy as possible. What are your thoughts? I am totally neutral to this idea.

I'm not going to make any decisions. The decisions will be made based on comments posted here in this thread. I will forward some suggestions (like those above) if there are none, and or, to facilitate discussion, but decisions will be collectively made. We have quite a bit to discuss and agree on over here. The original track day registration for Feb 4, 2012's session was on 12th December 2011, 12pm. I have tried to establish some regularity on the opening of the registration of the track days, on days and times where most people will have access to a computer and also have some time, which is on the monday immediately after the last track day. But since there are quite a lot to discuss and agree on, I will push the registration one week later to 19 December 2011, 12pm, just for this once. Please take note of this date, and also please inform your friends about it.

occasional drag/ drift race days i think are pretty fun to watch and participate as well.

My thoughts :
Rolloever fees to be kept by you is fine by me. Should cut down a lot of your work. We trust you :0
Block register should be kept to a max of 2 or 3. To be fair to all those who sit by their computers at 12pm on a busy Mon morning.
For eligibity, I am inclined to agree with you...a,b,c, and e only. Easily sorted out by looking at their posts and / or join dates. Maybe need to be a forum member for at least 6 mths / attend at least 1 meetup or 50 posts before being allowed to join? Or for new owners evidence of BMW ownership.
Keep it simple and keep 4 hour TDs
Cost increase and 2 weeks payments are fine.
I am against the idea of block payments for it deprives others who wish to join at certain dates or those who get their cars late into the year.

Juz my 2 cents

Cancelling auto-rollovers makes sense.

No block registering makes sense too. If overseas then ask a friend to register for you and in brackets put the reason down. At most it should be self and 1 friend who cannot register himself.

Eligibility...toughest... need anyone who tracks more than once a year with BMWsg, or any active BMW forummer or driver who has wanted to attend but been denied a chance two or more times, to vote on it. A named-voter online vote is the easiest to arrange.

I agree strongly that drivers who have never contributed to the forum, to events, but just turn up to use trackdays should be last to gain access. Doesn't matter if they've been using trackdays for 1, 2, 3, years. If they've been just using trackdays, they are non contributors. Especially the ones who don't even drive BMWs, no one knows who they are or how they got into the trackday and they come with other types of cars to prove points at trackdays, drive aggressively and push and pressure other slower cars around at trackdays. And on top of that go around and hawk product at trackdays.

After the vote the enforcing will be the ugliest most unpleasant bit and I wonder who is going to be willing to do that job. It is very necessary though.

4 hour session run grouping I think can be used best by everyone. The slower cars don't want to be pressured and in the way of the faster ones, and the faster ones just want a few clean laps instead of running up on traffic constantly.

$200 to cover some of your costs I think everyone agreed to long time ago, just not effected yet.

2 week window to make transfer after getting spot is great.

Block payment with no option of refund is great idea. Also, if the slot falls into disuse more than once per year, then that person should not be allowed to block pay anymore in future. Paying a premium for block payment can also be looked at as it makes it more convenient.

===

Also has there been any change as to what cars can be tracked at BMWsg trackdays since the last vote http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/track-section/43999-trackcar-racecar-vote-99.html ? Because depending on how things go it might affect what type of trackcar people purchase, and others who have been denied entry before may wish to return.

Well done, lots of thoughts put in to it and definitely will be a successful 2012 track days ahead... can't make everyone happy!

1. i agree drag races would be fun to participate and watch :)

2. would it be feasible to have low count TD as well? like 25 car days? how much would it be? about 300-350 would be feasible?

How about follow TCC style? For 4hrs TD, use the STARTING of the 3rd hour to do a CCT after everyone had their share of track in the first 2 hours.. If i'm not wrong Sepang don't allow cars to be stopped on the main straight (Shaun need to check with them)..

Use rolling start as a guide, once hit start line, everyone goes all out and into TURN 1.. Guess this will only be applicable to those who are really use to tracking and must have at least 3-5 TD's with BMW.SG..

Maybe a do a DRAG RACE starting from 50km/h?(if Sepang doesn't allow vehicles to stop on the main straight).. If Sepang does, it'll definitely be fun to see some pick ups!!

Just some opinions!!

Cheers,
Nigel

Here's my 2cts -

a,b,c,e sounds fair. Auto-roll overs shouldnt be the case. $200 for ur effort is certainly fair IMHO :)

As for 4hr trackdays, I kinda agree with Shaun, maybe split into groups for different speed groups. They do that too for trackdays overseas so that newer less experienced drivers don't feel intimidated and faster ones get a clear lap. Maybe 30mins each group.

Doubt it'll work for a 3hour slot though ... Or else some drag would be great once in awhile, not sure how many will particular though. I'm personally not a big fan of CCTs. Too hard on the car and kinda risky.

Simple time attacks would be cool, but tough to manage .... Unless we make it really simple

Otherwise you're doing a really great job :)

Cheers!

1) Yes, CCT while OK, but kind of high risk for road cars. For wheel to wheel action, nothing beats karting

2) Rolling 50 kph drag races on the main straight will be something different, but needs to be tightly organized to avoid wasting time

3) Perhaps the best of both worlds is allocating slots for a mini time-attack. So each driver has his / her fair share of getting a clear track for timings. And all participants to have Pbox mandatory -- so you can compare lap times and straight line acceleration (same outcome as a rolling drag race)

Elite;717540 said:
3) Perhaps the best of both worlds is allocating slots for a mini time-attack. So each driver has his / her fair share of getting a clear track for timings.

But most drivers don't care about time and just want to get laps and practice in without pressure, having to constantly look out for faster cars and compromise their lap further by reducing pace to facilitate as quick and safe a pass as possible.

Track doesn't have to be empty or near empty for clean laps, just 3 or so broad classes and cars flagged off at appropriate intervals within each class will do. As long as everyone is honest about declaration, there's no chance of running into or obstructing traffic for many laps.

Mandatory loggers are also too expensive and cumulatively too much trouble and time consuming an idea; most aren't interested.

IMO CCTs are usually needlessly high risk in the first couple of laps, and the separation across the field is large to the point that outside a handful of cars, it quickly turns to solo lapping anyway.

So I think simple free lapping within 3 or so broad time classes (20-35, 35-50, 50 and higher) flagged off at say 10 sec intervals in each class (quickest to least) is the most efficient and simplest use of the track.

Ok a summary from the feedback I have gathered from above...

I shall focus on the registration portion first. We can decide on the 4 hour track day later as they are several months away.

1. No rollovers. However those monies that are still with me will be publicly recorded to be used for future registrations should you be able to get a slot.
2. BMWSG track days have always, through the years, stated that priority will be given to our members. It's just that it wasn't thoroughly enforced. The priority will be given to these groups of people:
a) Active forummers who are regular trackkies.
b) Active forummers (online and/or events)
c) Old Birds: Formally active forummers and groups(like some in PCS) who supported the track in its early days and made it possible.
d) Newbies to the forum who drive BMWs to the td.

The above are not in any order of preference. The priority choices will come into play when there are more than 40 interests registered. Those who are non-contributor to the forum will not get a confirmed slot immediately. If the interest is

Last edited by a moderator:

Additional points, as brought up above, and what I have observed, to be discussed will be:

1) review of type of cars allowed
2) 4 Hour track day usage
3) Latecomers to the track day

I've had a question asked to me: anyone against Junos for our track day? It's like an atom with a 2L honda engine with slightly different body panels. It's run for 2 track days flawlessly so I dont see anything wrong with it. so how?

Racebred;718469 said:
I've had a question asked to me: anyone against Junos for our track day? It's like an atom with a 2L honda engine with slightly different body panels. It's run for 2 track days flawlessly so I dont see anything wrong with it. so how?

The Juno is far from an Atom.. it is a heavily aerodynamic car that is in the prototype class and much faster than any 211 or Atom. that are in the 2:20s range. With a 2L engine and increased aero efficiency over formula cars, you would expect F2000, or better, performance in the 2:02 - 2:07 range. This is around, and even slightly faster, the times that the GT3 class Porsche RS, RSRs, Ferrari 458 racecars run.

While most current Junos are 2L I4, there are also larger engine versions..V6 , etc., so have to be clear about which versions are coming. Performance for these bigger engines, again with higher aero efficiency vs formula cars, a 3L version is looking at around 1:53 - 1:58 range laptimes. This is much faster than Super GT GT300, about as fast as GT500, and faster than GT3, GT4 racecars... around GT1 - GT2.

CG heights for these cars are also much lower than an Atoms. Performance is in a different world.

I'm not sure why if the community voted mere months ago and came to clear consensus as shown by the numbers, why the trackday is moving against the collective decision towards inclusion of cars that are such far outliers in terms of performance. Do the votes not matter?

Are you sure you want to run 1:55 range cars that low and fast and light, next to a pool of 2:55 - 3:10 full weight full size cars with newbies in them? 30+% difference in laptimes, huge speed and mass differences.... an extremely bad idea IMO.

Racebred;718469 said:

The Juno is far from an Atom.. it is a heavily aerodynamic car (high downforce, low drag, high ground effect). That Atom has the exact opposite 3 properties. The Juno is officially classed as prototype - just a class or two below the Le Mans Protoype class 2 cars you see running around the worlds biggest endurance races. It is much faster than any 211 or Atom which typically are in the 2:27 range.

With a 2L engine and increased aero efficiency over formula cars and tire compounds equal, you would expect the Juno to run F2000 or better, times in the 2:05 range. This is around the times that the GT3 class Porsche RSR, Ferrari 458 racecars run and some 20+ seconds a lap quicker vs an Atom.

While most current Junos are 2L I4, there are also larger engine versions..V6, V8 etc., so have to be clear about which versions are coming. Performance for these bigger engines, again with higher aero efficiency vs formula cars, a 3L version is looking at around 1:56 laptimes. This is much faster than SuperGT GT300, marginally faster than GT500, and faster than all other GT classes in the world.

I'm not sure why if the community voted mere months ago and came to clear consensus as shown by the numbers, why the trackday is moving against the collective decision towards inclusion of cars that are such far outliers in terms of performance. Do the votes not matter? Or is there going to be a re-vote every time one of the regular group goes ahead and purchases a new racecar with massive performance some 30-40% (literally) better than the best roadcars that make up 95% of the usual trackday population?

Are you sure you want to run 1:56 range cars that low and fast and light, next to a pool of 2:55 - 3:10 full weight full size cars with newbies in them? 30+% difference in laptimes, huge speed and mass differences.... an extremely bad idea IMO. I don't think anyone can find any reputable high performance driving event organizer anywhere in the world that runs spreads over 30% in the same group, mixing experienced drivers with newbies.

Racebred;718469 said:

am ok with it........

TD rocks
cheers

I was the one that messaged Racebred to ask if Junos will be allowed. Normally I would not ask as I knew how the last vote went. But at the last trackday, a Radical went on track and I was wondering if there was a change in policy or acceptance within the community.

For the record, what Shaun mentioned about the Juno is correct. The car is massively fast. I have driven it at 2 trackday events with no issues. Once with Nova and the day after with TCC. No red flag , complaints or incidents caused by the Juno. And there were plenty of newbies at both events.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2wPJ3pb0L0&context=C335c61bADOEgsToPDskJdNTsBNA-jxstZlsMvMuv_"]Here is a video of Denis driving the car.[/ame]

During the brief, drivers were just told to drive their line, even during warm down and it is the overtaking car responsibility to not cause an incident. There were times that we braked very early as we did not want to scare other drivers by aggressive overtaking.

BTW, Denis did a 2.08 in that video, I only did a 2.19 as the car required more balls than I had. I drove the car so safely that I did not spin out or go into the run off area once.

I am ok with not taking the car to BMW's trackday, I am also ok with taking the car to the trackday and stop going out if there is a complaint against the Juno by one of the other drivers.

A fast car does not make a dangerous driver. There are drivers doing 3 minutes that are more dangerous in my opinion. They do not know the lines and they weave all over the place. But that was where I started too, and because of that, I respect their right to be on the track and am mindful to give them the track space to learn their stuff.

As always, I am not here to start a pissing contest, I just want to drive :laughlik:

cool shit darth. how much to run these things? paddle shifts some more! ok i like.

Back