N42 valvetronic, oil leak near headers?

mikeygar

Guys,

My car is a November 2004 318i. I was cleaning the engine today and saw a buildup of oil residue. felt it and it feels like old oil, partially dried up. Should I be worried with this? Could this be because I've travelled at 200+kph for more than 10 minutes at a time at full throttle? Car is stock as of this writing BTW.

Please see attached picture. (How do i use the /IMG tags to display it in the thread?)

Thanks!

Re: N42 valvetronic, oil leak near headers?

mikeygar said:
Guys,

My car is a November 2004 318i. I was cleaning the engine today and saw a buildup of oil residue. felt it and it feels like old oil, partially dried up. Should I be worried with this? Could this be because I've travelled at 200+kph for more than 10 minutes at a time at full throttle? Car is stock as of this writing BTW.

Please see attached picture. (How do i use the /IMG tags to display it in the thread?)

Thanks!

If ur car still under warranty, bring back to PML. If not wrong, it called "valve cover" (its a header gasket). else u can go to workshop that listed in BMW.SG.
it not supppose to leak... no matter u 200+kph or wat coz ur car can take 220..
ask PML to answer !

Dude

I suggest you go get it checked at PML and find out what's that??? I mean, it may not be related to your full throttle for more than 10 min experience but doesn't look too right in the pix.

By the way, I read somewhere that most of our road cars can't handle prolonged full throttle drive in maxed-out situations like you mentioned. Speed's not the issue but going redline or probably close to redline and holding on for more than 10 min.??? Eh......N42 not so "iron-clad" I think?

Keep us updated.....

Hope nothing serious.

Cheers!

TobyNik said:
Dude

I suggest you go get it checked at PML and find out what's that??? I mean, it may not be related to your full throttle for more than 10 min experience but doesn't look too right in the pix.

By the way, I read somewhere that most of our road cars can't handle prolonged full throttle drive in maxed-out situations like you mentioned. Speed's not the issue but going redline or probably close to redline and holding on for more than 10 min.??? Eh......N42 not so "iron-clad" I think?

Keep us updated.....

Hope nothing serious.

Cheers!

bro, 200+ haven reach redline yet ! heheheee.. not related to 10 mins thingy.
N42 still ok lar... dun say until ur N42 CMI type.. hahahaaa
btw, mikeygal... ur car accident before ?

Bro

Hehehe.....Sorry....No lah.....I actually think our N42 quite alright with the right mods, especially those that you taught me one.....

BTW, how to look out for the leak mentioned above har? Which part in the engine bay? left or right? Front or back? Top or bottom?

Just wanna be sure.

KAMSIA!

TobyNik said:
Bro

Hehehe.....Sorry....No lah.....I actually think our N42 quite alright with the right mods, especially those that you taught me one.....

BTW, how to look out for the leak mentioned above har? Which part in the engine bay? left or right? Front or back? Top or bottom?

Just wanna be sure.

KAMSIA!

bro, look at above extractor there..

Hey guys,

Car has never been in an accident, and car has only 7000 kilometers on the tach. Oil is on the left side of the engine, just below engine cover. The clear part is the oil that i wiped off. I hope its not a factory defect, though I do not feel any driveability issues with my car so far. It's running at its usual power, no more, no less. Anybody experience anything like this?

mikeygar said:
Hey guys,

Car has never been in an accident, and car has only 7000 kilometers on the tach. Oil is on the left side of the engine, just below engine cover. The clear part is the oil that i wiped off. I hope its not a factory defect, though I do not feel any driveability issues with my car so far. It's running at its usual power, no more, no less. Anybody experience anything like this?

normally this happen only when u open engine header cover before. but since it so new, why not u just bring back to PML, they will do the job for u. no worry at all. this doesn't related to ur high speed for 10 mins or wat. just tell them to rectify it.

I actually intend to this weekend :D will tell them that i noticed it some time ago and that they should do something about it! For the amount of money these cars cost, they better have a good answer for this... Will keep you guys updated on this so if any of you encounter, you'll know what to do :) thanks!!!

Just came from my dealer! They said the leak in the picture was from the valve cover gasket, and will be replaced under warranty. AND, they also found my power steering pump to be leaking as well (warranty service also)! COME ON BMW!!! Paid so much for the car and 7500 kms into owning it, I get this??? Good thing car is still stock. Imagine the headache if I modified anything?

maybe the car was not "run in" before u whacked up to 200km/hr??

Same thing I first thought, but car was broken in upto 5000 kms. Well, i asked the head mechanic and according to him, I was not the first to return the car with this problem... Hopefully, after they fix it, it'll be my last trip to the dealer for problems like this... :D

Hmmm....u noe what....lotsa my kakis also ever mentioned that the N42 do have leakage problems. Hopefully it will be the last trip for you there.

Good Luck!

Back