MAS Imposes Financing Restrictions on Motor Vehicle Loans

Re: MAS Imposes Financing Restrictions on Motor Vehicle Loans

how about used car ???
Car dealers can actually convert a new car into used car (a few months old) and then allow buyer to loan 100% with 0 down payment, right ?

????

stevenwu said:
how about used car ???
Car dealers can actually convert a new car into used car (a few months old) and then allow buyer to loan 100% with 0 down payment, right ?

????

I think it applies on used cars too. But yes, there will be tricks the used car dealers can employ.

Example quoting a much higher transaction price to the bank for loan approval and then under-invoice the actual sales contract.

Applies for locals. But since when its only locals in SG ? Don't forget about the 6.9m people plan.

kenntona;960410 said:
De-leverage is not a bad thing.

Combine this measure with the complaints on congested roads and high COEs - what better measures than to curb leveraged-demand?

Knowing that car prices and/or COEs will be trading lower, it is a definite good news for those owners (or owners-to-be) with some cash savings. As with many policies, it does not kill ultra-rich with both the additional ARF or the 50% cash-upfront.

Do note that you can still afford a car even if you have only $50K cash for upfront payment, or $30K or $20K. Though it kills the dreams of many owning a continental car. But there is an easier access to cars, now that car prices dropped. In this aspect, many prospective buyers should be happy. Having cash means you are better off than before on lower prices. Not having enuff cash means you get to drive but have to content with a smaller badge. Prudence.

If you do not have any cash saving, government is sending the message that you should save up before committing.

Comparing this method against curbing COEs (supply side, sorry to those gurus who projected a $100K COE), I think these measures make sense.

So how is this bad if one should not have too much leverage to begin with?

But if people who would normally be buying a bigger CC car now go for smaller CC cars to avoid higher prices due to increased ARF, won't the COE for below 1600cc stay high and still make car ownership to expensive?

Will we see more big engine cheap cars? like Korean, China or even Indian made ones?

Red_Bean_Bun said:
Applies for locals. But since when its only locals in SG ? Don't forget about the 6.9m people plan.

The rules apply for all, no?

I don't see how the foreigner issue creeps in here, but let's say it does.

Rich Chinese or ang mor foreigner pays 50% downpayment for a F458. He gets to drive the car. You don't. And that's an issue?

Middle cohort foreigner pay 50% downpayment for a BMW 320i, of which many of us can afford. Why is that an issue?

The banglas and the pinoys are not even relevant in the discussion.

eggz said:
But if people who would normally be buying a bigger CC car now go for smaller CC cars to avoid higher prices due to increased ARF, won't the COE for below 1600cc stay high and still make car ownership to expensive?

Will we see more big engine cheap cars? like Korean, China or even Indian made ones?

The 50% down payment kills a lot of buyers, EUG.

Many people do have savings but to plough $100-150K cash down payment (on top of monthly instalment) on a car, it takes a cold reality check.

If you amortised the increase in ARF over a period of ten years... it's quite insignificant.

I think the 50% cash outlay would be a major dampener.

It will be interesting to watch how low can the COE go down. That will really be an indicaticative on the true wealth of Singaporeans. If you are not affected by it, then this policy is well intended and serve its purpose, ie if you can afford it, by all means and in fact the gahment make it cheaper(lower COE) for you to buy.

But, looking at the forums sent to the papers and discussion in the forums, I believe alot of genuine buyers but with limited funds will be affected.

Cheers!

Cash rich people would rather go for properties instead of buying cars. Property will huat more.

kenntona;960435 said:
The 50% down payment kills a lot of buyers, EUG.

Many people do have savings but to plough $100-150K cash down payment (on top of monthly instalment) on a car, it takes a cold reality check.

100-150k cash... i think can pay about 50% of a condo in bkk... Or pay 100k for condo, 50k, buy a old Porsche park there.

Mockngbrd said:
100-150k cash... i think can pay about 50% of a condo in bkk... Or pay 100k for condo, 50k, buy a old Porsche park there.

Hence the reality check.

Much like the average working ladies carrying Hermes Birkins on zero-interest instalment credit cards scheme.

Would you not think that the dealers will brain storm to come out with overtrade packages in cushioning the 50% down payment requirement?

The Guardian said:
Would you not think that the dealers will brain storm to come out with overtrade packages in cushioning the 50% down payment requirement?

Partial for sure, but not the full impact.

Rule applies to all is the point.

If the population you are trying to apply a policy on is static. Should work.

When the population is dynamic ...... Who knows what will happen.

20k people come to Singapore to work. Ok....maybe some will buy cars. Maybe 1% of those people per year. No biggie.

When 2m people come to Singapore and 1% of those people per year buy cars and the other 99% takes the MRT. 1% of those plus local demand is enough to stuff the roads again. So what would happen to the COE ?

Can anyone guarantee that 0% of the "new population" would not buy cars ?

kenntona;960431 said:
The rules apply for all, no?

I don't see how the foreigner issue creeps in here, but let's say it does.

Rich Chinese or ang mor foreigner pays 50% downpayment for a F458. He gets to drive the car. You don't. And that's an issue?

Middle cohort foreigner pay 50% downpayment for a BMW 320i, of which many of us can afford. Why is that an issue?

The banglas and the pinoys are not even relevant in the discussion.

Red_Bean_Bun said:
When 2m people come to Singapore and 1% of those people per year buy cars and the other 99% takes the MRT. 1% of those plus local demand is enough to stuff the roads again. So what would happen to the COE ?

Can anyone guarantee that 0% of the "new population" would not buy cars ?

If that is true, should the measure to curb demand not shown its merits? Curb all demands before it spirals upwards?

people who bought new cars in 2011 and 2012 when coe were sky high are farked.
because coe will drop to 20k and new cars will be cheaper than them.

Darth Vader said:

Why farked? Someone told them COEs will not come down much?

even einstein cant solve this 50% downpayment equation.

The Guardian;960442 said:

Darth Vader;960446 said:
Since COE was implimented decades ago, this would seem to be the 2nd cycle... or is it the 3rd?

when i told people that coe will drop and i waiting for $20k coe, i was kenna ridiculed and laughed at.
now i can laugh back and ridicule them.

kenntona;960447 said:
Why farked? Someone told them COEs will not come down much?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aw8llc
Back