Mark X vs E46 320

Re: Mark X vs E46 320

autotrons;88163 said:
i am also facing this same problem as your friend.
personally, i drove the Mark X in china and have experience the power. it's definitely a Powerful engine but lacking in the handling. suspension is weak. (fast pick-up)
it's definitely not a family sedan.

However, in terms of handling & prestige, a pre-owned 320 E46 will be a much wiser choice.
Will any 320 owner advise me on the maintenance damage?

Hi Autotrons.... You must have Driven the REIS of China aka "Rui Zhi".
It's a Mark X but it's Assemble in China. Facing minor recall issues.
It's kind of different from the JDM Mark X. Some of the UNder Braces doesn't even fit out Local Mark X. One of our member liaise with the Market there and some of them source compatible parts and gadgets from there... There are difference from REIS and Mark X in some aspect.
Feel free to find out more from Mark X Club if you are curious....

China are really going for anything.......... Even the previous ROver 75 has actually been replicate into ROEWE 750 there.......... Interesting.....

pruxli;88064 said:
Hi guys,
A friend of mine is looking at the above 2 model and ask me for opinion, so wondering if you guys can provide some feedback. He's looking at new Mark X and a pre-owned E46 320.:whipper:

Oopsss.. Side Track too much.
Back to Main Discussion......
So, Man from Pru aka Pruxli........ Have your friend come to a conclusion ??? What about you, what's next after your G9 ?

SafetyCar

Me and a friend had the chance of meeting an owner of a brand new Mark X. We were given invitation to explore the car including a spin. We are impressed with the interior, layout and the overhead lights panel dotted with LED. Everything were getting more attractive until we finish oggling at the engine. "Tunkzz"... the way the engine hatch closes has put a stop to our enthusiasm. We thank the owner for the invite and gave excuses simultaneously that we needed to rush off giving the drive a miss.

That's was about my encounter with the Mark X so can't say much about the engine or car performance.

LOL.... That's true...
I don't like the Sound of the "Tunkzz" too... BUT judge the car on that.. Eh............ Must be a Perfectionist.

digging up an old thread, haha Hi Guan, seen u on the rd a couple of times, must say ur Mark X looks really gd.
Act on the power and handling of the Mark X, I've had experience with it, not driving it but against it.
And I must say, it's pretty darn gd in the hands of a gd driver, vis-a-vis the price n all.
as for the sound of the bonnet closing, haha, Jawsg, I'm sure we'll be hard pressed to find smth that sounds like a beemer..

jason3s;162033 said:
digging up an old thread, haha Hi Guan, seen u on the rd a couple of times, must say ur Mark X looks really gd.
Act on the power and handling of the Mark X, I've had experience with it, not driving it but against it.
And I must say, it's pretty darn gd in the hands of a gd driver, vis-a-vis the price n all.
as for the sound of the bonnet closing, haha, Jawsg, I'm sure we'll be hard pressed to find smth that sounds like a beemer..

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ALAMAK...... Who is this ???? Scary that everytime I don't know who prompt me...
Kindly enlighten me ya...... :lol2:

wah piang, haha, I'm mage on the old mark x forum.
Went for one of ur meet ups a long time ago in my black e36.
don't know if u still remember me man, but nice ride u got there~!

Cheers
Jason

Oh No........ Eh....................................

haha jialat,
no worries, tt was ages ago, i'll pop by the mark x meet one of these days to say hi
haha

Cheerios
J

Err.. please don't be mistaken. We were not judging the car as both of us probably won't consider buying one (can't afford and my friend has just bought his 4th E36 last month.. so we are the die hard type).

It's just that while we are very much impressed with the look both exterior and interior and accidentally drop the bonnet as we would with our cars, that sound was really a put off. It's like when you are just about to have that very tempting dish to find a fly in the soup feeling.... well sort of. It's probably just the 2 of us.. we did feel a little sheepish later on.

I ve sat in all 3 - e46 320i, mark-x, IS250. Frankly In terms of looks the e46 is slowly getting a bit dated with the e90 running ard. But the 320i is a very good driving machine. The mark-x and IS250 are more suited like passenger cars. The passengers will feel better, comfortable n like it more bcos of space, quietness, etc....but not the driver. To me the mark-x and IS250 drives the same(ok forget those gadgets for now), and they are indeed the same engines, anything seemingly different is just psychological. I ve seen a few very nicely modded mark-x with great rims. From the exterior I find them nicer but thats my taste. Otherwise if u are prepared to fork out like $30-40k more for the IS250( which to me is not worth the premium), then u are buying for whatever status u think that goes with the Lexus brand, which I wouldnt buy as long as Lexus share Toyota parts, in this case the engine. I think whatever status/prestige the Lexus brand may indeed have will just drop several notches immediately the moment people realise it shares the same engine with a much cheaper sibling. To me its juts like POSB Bank and DBS Bank, ie = LPPL. Also I cannot stand the acronym for LEXUS-a name describing a car sold in USA. At least I know Toyota = Toyota, BMW = BMW = Bavarian Motor Works. But lets exclude the IS250 anyway since it is not in yr question.

I would say get the Mark-X

Try me, I ve not only sat in the e46 & Mark X but also own both cars. To be exact, I've sold my e46 for the Mark X. Honestly, both cars are just too different to compare alongside and probably because I wasnt driving the 325 or 330 back then.

On the steering and cornering alone, both cars already feel worlds apart. I always felt "closer to the ground" in a bm which gives me more confidence when cornering, the beefy steering in the bm portrays the true spirits of a sports car. But the much assisted power steering of the Mark X is also highly precise and that helps heaps in parking & when making 3 pt turns (with a single hand!)

I wouldnt deny to some points raised by the bros in the earlier posts esp since I ve been on both sides of the coin. At least for now, I am enjoying the smoothness of the torquey Mark X. It would've been nice if I could experience the driveability of the 523 or 530 alongside the Mark X since both cars measure up closer in terms of weight, gears and engine capacity. (Price tag aside OF COURSE..)

Let's see if I strike Toto in the next draw..

ivo

Mr. AhBengdriver, I see that you have a strong bias against Japanese rides. My circle of family has cars that include 2 new Camrys (BM), an IS250, a 523, an E90 320, a SC430, a C180, a new Suzuki swift and a few Altis and Corollas. I have tested all these rides (yes in the shortest time!). It's really OK to own what your money can buy. If anyone of us relatives are like passing jeering remarks at Lexus or Toyota, there will not be any reunion dinners again.

IMHO, the our 3 series is just an entry-level luxury car just like the IS250. The Mark X is probably a rung below. Image is what you make of it. Trust me, whatever image Lexus is exuding, it is a very comfortable and luxurious ride. Performance goes to my favourite Bimmer though....Oh out of curiosity, what if Toyota buys over BMW one day, what if.....

Back to the topic, go for the Mark X. It's newer, prettier and alot more powerful. If you are a die-hard like alot of us here, trust me, go for the E46...

Wow.... So much for the difference of Opinion...
Just like Bellisimo.... I swop cars to drive sometimes for fun. Think my Mark X is the most affordable in my family. Surely, I don't compare my Mark X to the 750i in my family but I guess after trying all the various rides in my family.... Mark X is indeed a Good Drive.
My uncle is also a die hard Beemer fan too but humbly and faithfully keeping and Driving his 3 series - two of them ( Die Hard). He fell in love with my Mark X when he drove it too...
For me... I enjoy the New Camry ... Hey.. that's so spacious and comfy, comparable to the S Class we have too. Of course, the Merc is much more stable and sturdy..
So much for all the different feel.... But tracking back to the starter of the topic: " 3 Series or Mark X ?"

May I offer the thread starter a solution:- "After reading all the opinions - bias or not...., why not get a test drive and buy something you like? There is no perfect car.. only an ideal car. I am sure you have got not a single worry over financial affordability like us... since monies is not an issue.... then let your heart decide. Sometimes after listening so much to others, the best bet is to listen to your own heart. Buy and Drive it with No Regrets ya......"

I am sure you can test drive a Beemer easily, I am also sure that you can have a chance to feel how it feels in a Beemer under a powerful overtaking and cornering situation in your friend's car. If you need to test the Mark X too.... you can approach us for help too.
Hope you can find the car that your heart is after..... very soon. Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SafetyCar

me thinking of buying a mark x too...where can i test drive one? should i buy a second hand mark x?

s7923332;498481 said:
me thinking of buying a mark x too...where can i test drive one? should i buy a second hand mark x?
bro this thread is 3 yrs old.

in any case, dun think u can test drive Mark X. it is a PI car. only chance is if ur friends have it.

mark X very fast and smooth..woohoo..im impressed when i first sat in 1..good ride..slam it and put 20" rims..sickkkk

///M3;498494 said:
mark X very fast and smooth..woohoo..im impressed when i first sat in 1..good ride..slam it and put 20" rims..sickkkk
is it smoother than an IS250?

save the money... get the E46, throw out the 2litre, and slot in a 3litre iL6 and replace all the wear and tear parts. you'll have one of the best drivers' cars around.

10yrs down the road, i'm sure the E46 will still be a sought after car, the Mark X.. hard to say

Back