Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups

Legal to clamp and collect release fee?

papbear77

Have a Qn for the more learned bros/sis....better still lawyers...

If a car blocks the driveway of a terrance/semi-d/private dwelling...
...is it legal to clamp the offending vehicle and demand a release fee...
...failing which, the house owner calls a tow-truck to tow away the car and brings the car owner to court to claim costs etc...

(must a "clamp sign" be placed in front of dwelling?

Anyone can enlighten?

Re: Legal to clamp and collect release fee?

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/eat-drink-man-woman-16/$500-wheel-clamp-fine-legal-wor-4327440-16.html

Pengful, u got wash car?

If someone puts a big block of metal infront of the door of your flat, do you have the right to move it?

Yes. Move it but not clamp and ask for money.
If the car handbrake is down, you have the right to move it too.
Or even push into the sea.

Thanks so far for the replies
...MW and Pengful links seems to suggest that precedence has already occurred and it can be done....legally....the front of the gate up to a 2m boundary line belongs to owner?....so can do....plse correct me if wrong?

...seansky...yes. seriously

...yellowhandman, rvt response indicates that the owner can and have the legal right to do something about the car

let's see what else comes about...

papbear77;1023838 said:
Thanks so far for the replies
...MW and Pengful links seems to suggest that precedence has already occurred and it can be done....legally....the front of the gate up to a 2m boundary line belongs to owner?....so can do....plse correct me if wrong?

...seansky...yes. seriously

...yellowhandman, rvt response indicates that the owner can and have the legal right to do something about the car

let's see what else comes about...

Without prejudice, my unqualified opinion is no. If you had read the discussions carefully, the subject owner had reportedly bought over the road in front of his house and hence he has ownership of the road. He is hence free to, literally and legally, impose specific conditions upon his road provided he serves reasonable notice to drivers and it is not against the laws and regulations etc etc. In your case, you do not own the road (I assume) and it is a public road governed by the laws and regulations. Therefore, you do not have rights to impose/enforce on a public road your own conditions.

As to a car blocking your driveway, I would wear a ninja suit, take the neighbour's trash can and pour it on his car, make sure I'm not captured on his in-car cam, and run far far away.... Kidding.

The basic problem here is that people see something that looks like a road, and take their chances to park there because they think LTA or TP won't come. But what looks like a road may really be private property, simply because the owner is not obliged to build his gate right up to the limits of his property, nor to put any markings or signs to clearly show where his property is. And since it's his property, he's also not obliged to put any sign up to warn people - do you put up a sign in your toilet to day that only residents can use it?

Bottom-line - if you park considerately and don't block anybody, then you should be fine. If you don't, or if you take chances and block 'a bit', then don't complain if something happens.

If the neighbour's fcuking mangy pet cat keeps trespassing into my backyard and sometimes even my courtyard, do I have the legal right to set up cat traps and barbecue the freaking beast when it's caught?

wobbles;1023851 said:
If the neighbour's fcuking mangy pet cat keeps trespassing into my backyard and sometimes even my courtyard, do I have the legal right to set up cat traps and barbecue the freaking beast when it's caught?

Throw your wifey's lew lian kak and cactus at the cat. Tell your neighbour the cat stepped on the cactus and durian shells itself. Kill two birds with one stone.....

Last edited by a moderator:

pengful;1023863 said:
How do you control pussy?

You don't. Pussy controls you.

Except if you're Kennaconda. In that case, snake eats pussy. In more ways than one *wink*

wobbles;1023865 said:
You don't. Pussy controls you.

Except if you're Kennaconda. In that case, snake eats pussy. In more ways than one *wink*

Wise man wise words. Respect.

Back