KW V2 having weird noises....

fergo

my almost 3yr old coils are making weird noises recently. not all the time though...

is it the infamous "tok tok" syndrome which i had on my old ride running on Tein's?

Feels like watever arms are loose or worn... even heard a "peng" sound once. sound like the spring got out of position and snaps right back after a bump on the road.

Just wanna check if any bros out there experienced this before? any solution?
checked with my workshop and they mentioned its nothing serious. just remove, some cleaning and re-greasing it will solve the problem.. till now still havent got the time to send it in for a check.

anyone?
and also, is there anything i can do to make the ride feel more solid? (Eg. less 'loose' noise while driving?) like changing lower arm bushing or watever?

Thanks a million...

Re: KW V2 having weird noises....

my less than 1.5 years old kw v1 gave me tok-tok sound on the front especially going thru bump, manhole, up/down mscp carpark, etc. it's the strut mount
after various diagnostic, the best one was to jack up the front wheel, the mechanic will shake the wheel and use finger to feel the strut mount.
if there is a gap or loose end, obviously the strut mount up lorry liao.
just a suggestion. strut mount up lorry prematurely is a common result from using coilover

31336760943_upper_strut_mount_E82_E90_E60_E63_E83_BMW_fits_most_sm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

fergo;652048 said:
my almost 3yr old coils are making weird noises recently. not all the time though...

is it the infamous "tok tok" syndrome which i had on my old ride running on Tein's?

Feels like watever arms are loose or worn... even heard a "peng" sound once. sound like the spring got out of position and snaps right back after a bump on the road.

checked with my workshop and they mentioned its nothing serious. just remove, some cleaning and re-greasing it will solve the problem.. till now still havent got the time to send it in for a check.

anyone?
and also, is there anything i can do to make the ride feel more solid? (Eg. less 'loose' noise while driving?) like changing lower arm bushing or watever?

Thanks a million...

Hi Fergo,

what's the mileage on your ride now? Sound from front or rear? or all?

cheers

It seems that my ST V1 coilovers also encounter such noises recently but mine is only used for a few months?!!

snowmanyee;652072 said:
It seems that my ST V1 coilovers also encounter such noises recently but mine is only used for a few months?!!

Noises are heard thru doing hard cornering?

cheers

ac323;652065 said:
Hi Fergo,

what's the mileage on your ride now? Sound from front or rear? or all?

cheers

just passed 25k. see mood one leh... but most obvious one is front right. "peng" sound is front left. heard it 3 times already. just happen again this morning...

fergo;652134 said:
just passed 25k. see mood one leh... but most obvious one is front right. "peng" sound is front left. heard it 3 times already. just happen again this morning...

hope there's no oil leakage.................i think is better to send back to the workshop and let them drive it to see and hear where the actual sound is coming from.

* wt_know could be right too................mounting
cheers

wt_know;652051 said:
my less than 1.5 years old kw v1 gave me tok-tok sound on the front especially going thru bump, manhole, up/down mscp carpark, etc. it's the strut mount
after various diagnostic, the best one was to jack up the front wheel, the mechanic will shake the wheel and use finger to feel the strut mount.
if there is a gap or loose end, obviously the strut mount up lorry liao.
just a suggestion. strut mount up lorry prematurely is a common result from using coilover

31336760943_upper_strut_mount_E82_E90_E60_E63_E83_BMW_fits_most_sm.jpg

i had issues with my Tein Flex last time. it was because the spring wasnt sitting snug enough with the top mount. hence got tok tok sound.

so what my mechanic did was he force a rubber tubing into the top portion of the spring before putting back the top mount. works like magic. simple but tedious job.

not too sure what happen to my KWs now...

hate all these unwanted sound n noise when driving!! tire and exhaust sound cant be helped. but those dash rattling, coils making noise i cannot tahan!

i need help!!

ac323;652135 said:
hope there's no oil leakage.................i think is better to send back to the workshop and let them drive it to see and hear where the actual sound is coming from.

* wt_know could be right too................mounting
cheers

yes bro.. will do that! thanks... but finding time to is difficult. :roll:

fergo;652136 said:
i had issues with my Tein Flex last time. it was because the spring wasnt sitting snug enough with the top mount. hence got tok tok sound.

so what my mechanic did was he force a rubber tubing into the top portion of the spring before putting back the top mount. works like magic. simple but tedious job.

not too sure what happen to my KWs now...

hate all these unwanted sound n noise when driving!! tire and exhaust sound cant be helped. but those dash rattling, coils making noise i cannot tahan!

i need help!!

can try this as my 2 friends did (rubber tubing thingy) on their KW V1 too yesterday....(brand new set)

cheers

any place to recommend?

i prob go get my coils check out first... den do this rubber thing to prevent further noise from happening.

cheers

fergo;652157 said:
any place to recommend?

i prob go get my coils check out first... den do this rubber thing to prevent further noise from happening.

cheers

Hi fergo,

Boss Motorsports..........

cheers

ac323;652177 said:
Hi fergo,

Boss Motorsports..........

cheers

ok.. thats easy. my car is done up there as well. Thanks!

fergo;652189 said:
ok.. thats easy. my car is done up there as well. Thanks!

Bingo.................

* let me know when maybe i can drop by to say hello...........
cheers

ac323;652192 said:
Bingo.................

* let me know when maybe i can drop by to say hello...........
cheers

sure bro.. thanks!

fergo;652048 said:

anyone?

Thanks a million...
Hi Fergo, m on similar set-up as you & indeed I've heard that 'png' sound before.

As I do alil' of spirited driving at times & to have a piece of mind, hoisted the car to check. No leak & bushings were fine though.

I changed the setting & raised the height of the car to 11/2 fingers front & 1 finger rear which eliminated the sound.

Hope this help.

Best, Mac

Mac, you damn good with fingers !!! MW say one.

thanks mac.... will take note of that!

cheers

kenntona;653111 said:
Mac, you damn good with fingers !!! MW say one.
Yea, coz Sean loves the way I do it, ai korek mai?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hema
Back