Is it normal?

Re: Is it normal?

jetspeed88;1065103 said:
Just took in to WS and was diagnosed that similarly my Vacuum pump and Rocker Cover Gaskets need to be replaced. This apparently was the cause of my topping up of 1L EO every 1500km. No smoke and no other symptoms other than oil loss. Anyone else have this issue?

I've the same problem with oil loss too. Mine can see the oil stain on the tray, and engine block. I had the rocker cover gasket replaced and o-rings etc and still losing oil.

The next step will be to replace valve seals. You can find a thread by bro Aaron on this topic. If after replacing the rocker gasket and still losing oil, then its very likely the valve seals needs to be replaced.

BTW, my car is 2006 E90 with 140,000km mileage.

redline15;1065449 said:
If after replacing the rocker gasket and still losing oil, then its very likely the valve seals needs to be replaced.

Not true. It could also mean the workshop screwed up the valve cover gasket replacement. Common, not every workshop is an expert on BMWs. Many of us learnt this the hard and painful way.

Site sponsor workshops rock....

seanskye;1065465 said:
Not true. It could also mean the workshop screwed up the valve cover gasket replacement. Common, not every workshop is an expert on BMWs. Many of us learnt this the hard and painful way.

Site sponsor workshops rock....

OEI!!!! bro, u bring up my painful memories huh????? hehe

seanskye;1065465 said:

True, one way of testing their knowledge is to ask them whats the torque specs for the bolts.

OP, you may also want to check that the valve cover is not warped. Did you consider DIY? It's pretty doable if you take your time: DIY E90 N54 Valve Cover Gasket

redline15;1065449 said:
I've the same problem with oil loss too. Mine can see the oil stain on the tray, and engine block. I had the rocker cover gasket replaced and o-rings etc and still losing oil.

The next step will be to replace valve seals. You can find a thread by bro Aaron on this topic. If after replacing the rocker gasket and still losing oil, then its very likely the valve seals needs to be replaced.

BTW, my car is 2006 E90 with 140,000km mileage.

I've just had my vacuum pump and rocker cover gaskets replaced... Along with some O-rings. Will monitor oil consumption for a bit first.

Normally if valve guide seals worn, you will get other symptoms like blueish exhaust.

jetspeed88;1065948 said:
I've just had my vacuum pump and rocker cover gaskets replaced... Along with some O-rings. Will monitor oil consumption for a bit first.

Normally if valve guide seals worn, you will get other symptoms like blueish exhaust.

Damn... all replaced and oil still being consumed at rate of 1 litter per 1000km. Checked all over and found no more leaks... workshop deduction is that piston rings and all internal gaskets need to be replaced.... damn!

jetspeed88;1076091 said:
Damn... all replaced and oil still being consumed at rate of 1 litter per 1000km. Checked all over and found no more leaks... workshop deduction is that piston rings and all internal gaskets need to be replaced.... damn!

How about going back to pml?

jetspeed88;1076091 said:

Bro, what did you replace besides vacuum pump, rocker cover gaskets, o-rings? I had that replaced because of external leaks. But still I was losing oil. I too didn't think I needed to replace valve seals since there was no oil stains or white smoke from the exhaust. After those replacement, I was still topping up 1l every 600 - 800km!!!

In the end, I decided to bite the bullet and replace the valve seals and this solved my problem. I've done 4000km since the replacement and EO is fluctuating between 3/4 to Full.

Its not expensive to have it replaced. Just the downtime depending where you choose to do it. Thanks to Bro Aaron for his thread which is a sticky.

Just my 2cents...

Leaking valve seals may not have any external signs only excessive oil consumption which can be detected by checking exhaust pipe. Rod checked and couldn't find any external leakage so he changed the valve seals and so far so good.

easy;1076668 said:
Leaking valve seals may not have any external signs only excessive oil consumption which can be detected by checking exhaust pipe. Rod checked and couldn't find any external leakage so he changed the valve seals and so far so good.

Valve seals changed and no more excessive oil consumption. 10k without topping oil at all.

However, I still get the sweet burning smell almost daily and steam coming from under bonnet during a heavy downpour.

Mine had the same burning smell, smoke from bonnet & exhaust.

Changed Engine Valve Cover / Valve Cover Gasket, apparently problem is gone. Already clocked 4K km since i serviced and EO level still remains at 3/4.

I will consider changing the valve seals next since it's not that ex, probably just doing a Preventive Maintenance thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
i9bet9club
Back