Intermittent Battery Light

hcsiow

I had a problem today with my E46. The red battery light came on intermittently. Changed the battery straight away as I still had my original battery but the problem did not cease. Any ideas anybody? Faulty alternator maybe? Car is 3 yrs old.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Re: Intermittent Battery Light

Yes its a tell tale sign that your alternator is going bust soon. Get it replaced ASAP before it stalls!

hcsiow;166730 said:
I had a problem today with my E46. The red battery light came on intermittently. Changed the battery straight away as I still had my original battery but the problem did not cease. Any ideas anybody? Faulty alternator maybe? Car is 3 yrs old.

Alternator

Once changed, must change the V-Belt also. V-Belt is 50+ or 60+ dollars, can't recall.....

V-belt not covered under warranty if you are claiming for warranty for the alternator.

Your old battery might still be in good condition actually......just FYI...

Cheers!

russo;166936 said:
Yes its a tell tale sign that your alternator is going bust soon. Get it replaced ASAP before it stalls!

Thanks will do that

Hmmm... I have had the same symoptoms. Battery charging light came on (red in colour) And it was a faulty alternator. 62000km and running some ICE.

hcsiow;166730 said:

funny..i had the same problem ONLY once. i got scared and Bernard recommended changin battery. I have yet to replicate the problem. But mine was both engine and battery light came out with no power to the eingine. Had to switch off an don then OK. Dont think anything that serious but i would like to know what you guys think. Mines an 02 320i I6.

ice does burn out your batt and alternator faster... think if one goes stock all the way, alternator should be able to last 80k km or 7-8 years depending on usage...

elmariachi;167121 said:
funny..i had the same problem ONLY once. i got scared and Bernard recommended changin battery. I have yet to replicate the problem. But mine was both engine and battery light came out with no power to the eingine. Had to switch off an don then OK. Dont think anything that serious but i would like to know what you guys think. Mines an 02 320i I6.

Got it checked today and it WAS a faulty alternator. Apparently only putting out 10V instead of usual 13. If it happened just once, I wouldn't worry about it..BMWs are tempermental in that regard.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8may88vip
Back