ICE in my GTI

T6

Ok guys, finally found some time to post this one. As my ride is blessed with space for a 2din head unit, decided to use a touch screen Alpine unit.

(Note: Click on the individual photo to see a larger photo :wink: )

First, some mysterious shots in the dark:

Ok, here is a brighter shot: (sorry head unit looks abit dusty coz been driving with sun-roof open this past few nites)

Then power it on (can use any of the buttons to power on. Need not strictly click on the dedicated "Source" button). The LCD can be set to auto-sensing and brightness will be auto adjusted depending on external lighting:

And this is how the screen slides when u press eject to load/unload DVD, VCD, CD, MP3 and tonnes of other types of discs:

This is how the various sources are selected:

Let's try DVD (available even with car on the move. Of coz it is meant for the passengers). U can also buy optional remote control if u think your kids behind gonna watch them more:

Ok, now for the mode that most people keen to know and see..... IPOD (damn similar to what I see on my own IPOD screen):

Many other functions to play with in this headunit ... but I thot I better let the LCD screen have a break.... that are alot more screens (e.g. for tuning) that u can go into, but here are some general ones:

And since all the speakers are more or less hidden, will show abit of the boot:

A bling light is provided such that when boot is open, the light will bling on the amps in the boot:

Ok, the last bit.... reverse cam.... well dun expect Cybershot quality but I am pretty satisfied, needs a bit of getting used to and I admit I rely more on the parking sensors than the reverse cam. Frankly I treat this more as a gadget. Anyway, here is the pic with the cam switched on in a basement carpark:

And this is the toggle switch that allows me to view the reverse cam even when the gear is not in Reverse (the switch is the one on the extreme right):

And finally, what the heck, might as well throw in a pic on where I have mounted my Garmin Nuvi 310 (can't mount it at the ideal spot between the A Pillar and the IU because that place has been occupied by my tweeter. The advantage of this Nuvi position I have placed is that my passengers get to see it as well.

That's all folks! :D

Re: ICE in my GTI

WOW!!! swee swee la bro!!! can you come pick me tis Sun? haha.. i bring some DVDs and can watch in ur car liao....

Nicely done up... guess there is more to come.....

T6 sweet! you can actually put a Garmin GPS GNV52 and your Alpine becomes a touch screen GPS immediately!

lmk;137700 said:
T6 sweet! you can actually put a Garmin GPS GNV52 and your Alpine becomes a touch screen GPS immediately!

Tks lmk. I gather you are referring to the GVN 52 and not GNV 52. http://www.garmin.com/products/gvn52/.

Somehow, I prefer the portability of the Nuvi and the supplied Spore maps which allow me to search HDB flats by block number and landed properties by their house number. At $1k, the GVN 52 is not cheap. The portabiliy of the Nuvi means I can bring it with me when I travel even when I leave my car behind in Spore :) The Nuvi GPS syetem is a quantum leap over the Bimmer in-car GPS system I used to have.

andy.
swee swee. :) are you putting a front camera also?

i've also become a new nuvi newbie last weekend :)
picked up a 310 w singapore map.

swing the cam up can take more unique photos

Wow. Really nice. I thought the GTI came pretty loaded already but you've thought of some great mods still!

Can pm me where you went to get this done and approx. cost (head unit and reverse camera)? Will it go on an e46? Cheers!

bugaboo;137707 said:
andy.

i've also become a new nuvi newbie last weekend :)
picked up a 310 w singapore map.

Congrats Meng. U shd go download the malsing maps. They are damn nice to use. The supplied Garmin maps are kind of behind time. E.g. they still do not have the Portsdown Highway and even the famed windy South Buona Vista Rd they also do not have.

Last Fri, I tried the malsing maps from S'pore to Sepang and they are really good. I think I now can also be convoy leader liao :lol2: . Then on Sun, I went to animal santuary NANAS in Johor, Pontian area and the malsing maps again pleasantly surprised me as even some of the dirt roads are shown. When I switched over to the Garmin supplied Johor maps. it showed me bashing through no man's land.

bugaboo;137707 said:
andy.

Meng,

If u manage to find a good infra-red cam for the front that is pretty heat resistent, let me know yah. I found one at Sim Lim. Not expensive but huge like a light bulb so no go.:)

yes, the infra red cam are huge. even those 12v russian made ones are like 2-3 in diameter.
hehe...most of us are Nuvi users...malsingmap is very good especially in malaysia.
did you install the SGP/MAL poi address search? very useful.

lmk;137789 said:
yes, the infra red cam are huge. even those 12v russian made ones are like 2-3 in diameter.
hehe...most of us are Nuvi users...malsingmap is very good especially in malaysia.
did you install the SGP/MAL poi address search? very useful.

Only gone so far as to download the "normal" malsing maps. Will certainly get down to downloading the POIs soon. Heard they are very useful.:)

Lmk, if u are coming for this Sun's meet-up, can u look-out for me pls (easier for u to find me coz one GTi vs many bimmers). Need to check with you on the infra-red cams. Thanks.

i may not be able to make it this sun.
but if i do have gtg with those E60 guys, i will PM you.

lmk;137949 said:
i may not be able to make it this sun.
but if i do have gtg with those E60 guys, i will PM you.

Ok. Thanks bro. :) ................

I like yr pix in the dark concept Andy... pretty kinky! :p

Nice setup... woot!

Just a note on the windy South Bouna Vista road...lately some idiots even on weekday nights are clowning around this road...racing, overtaking other cars when you can barely see into the next corner...if there is another oncoming vehicle thats it...just yesterday night coming back from the airport saw this 'zhnged' civic trying to perform some stunt going up Kent Ridge Park from the winding road...knn...end up he didnt have enough power rolled back down...my passengers all laugh like hell...but we been pissed lately at these idiots in the area..
Just a note...do take care all...

lmk;137700 said:

Actually touch screen would have no effect on the new Garmin GVN52, it merely project the image to the screen via composite video and line level audio out. So, there is no interface to allow input from screen to the control unit.

From Garmin website

The GVN 52 is operated by the included RF remote control. When the GVN 52 is connected to a touchscreen display, the included RF remote control is still required for unit operation. Touching the display screen will not operate the features of the GVN 52.

But it is still cool to have it fully integrated into one screen. It has TTS and uses StreetPilot software.

call police !!!!!!

idiots like these should be put off the roads for good... worse is if they cause other people harm..

KT;138580 said:
Actually touch screen would have no effect on the new Garmin GVN52, it merely project the image to the screen via composite video and line level audio out. So, there is no interface to allow input from screen to the control unit.

From Garmin website

But it is still cool to have it fully integrated into one screen. It has TTS and uses StreetPilot software.

true, no touch screenn for other lcd touch screen, only Kenwood OEM with the N52 can have touch screen function.

My virgin post here in this Folder...
Ok T6, we need to talk ...I wanna do something to the bluewhale..

Jack your blur whale would probably need sound deadening material to insulate against outside noise for you to actually enjoy your music. The material is very heavy will weigh the whole car down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abcdbetjogos
Back