HPFP Failure!

Re: HPFP Failure!

kenn will be banned from PML... heehee

Hi all,

Decided to feedback here since the bros have been helpful in assisting on this matter. Went to PML and the CSA said they have run tests and the way he explained is like there is this fault code but when they reprogram it, the fault goes away. And his analogy seems to be that there is a problem but the failure rate is like 10-20%. And as this failure rate is too low(does not mean their minimum failure rate), they cannot replace under warranty. My dealer argued for quite some time but to no avail.

Anyway, I got the car in the end as my dealer brought it back to BVO to have another test and this time there are no fault codes found. (dunno true or not cos I din go down)
Been driving the car for one week plus and so far no problem (touch wood) jus that on the 2nd day I couldn’t start the car. Had to try like 3mins before the car could be started. Read the forums later and realized that I had to depress the brake pedal harder.

Hope everything goes well and thanks for the advice.

Dude, just y 2 cents worth. If I was you, I would be banging the tables a little harder at PML. The fact that the car does not start normally, is not something you should live with. It's not normal and the HPFP failure is imminent. 10% failure is still a failure. Don't wait until you lose power while on the road like me. It can be dangerous.

Got my HPFP replaced during warranty too, although it was after it had resulted in loss of power on the road and drove back to PML still with the same condition.

Think hard and do the right thing.

Thanks for your reply bro.

I am not in a position to bang table that day becos technically i haven bought over the car yet so i leave the hassling to my dealer. However, the impression the CSA gave me was that no matter how hard we bang table or even bring it up to management, his solution will be to go through SOP and do the programming one more time.

And if it still does not meet their criteria, they will not replace. Anyway, i will continue to monitor and will feedback with them on this issue on my next servicing.

Thanks bro..

skins;516173 said:
Thanks for your reply bro.

I am not in a position to bang table that day becos technically i haven bought over the car yet so i leave the hassling to my dealer. However, the impression the CSA gave me was that no matter how hard we bang table or even bring it up to management, his solution will be to go through SOP and do the programming one more time.

And if it still does not meet their criteria, they will not replace. Anyway, i will continue to monitor and will feedback with them on this issue on my next servicing.

Thanks bro..

dun waste time
ask the dealer to change it.

$1300+

Hi all.. Just an update. Over the wkend encountered engine fault reduced power 3 or 4 times. Yesterday brought it to pml n they have agreed to replace the hpfp for me .got back car today.. Now have to monitor performance of car n hope the problem does not come back.
Apparently pml does not issue written papers indicating this replacement but they will input it in their system though.
Thanks to all for your kind advice.

Hi all,

The latest HPFP part number is 135 17 594 943

This replaced the old part number 135 17 592 881

BMW really tries very hard to improve HPFP, revision over revision :(

Take note.
Hope all of the 335s no need to go through this route :)

Is there any other reason besides HPFP that the CEL light will come on?
Few days back, had the same engine fault, reduced power message again despite changing the HPFP at PML abt 2 weeks back.

This also occurred few times over the wkend when i try to rev to 3500-4500rpm. But though the CEL popped out, the reduction in power was not greatly felt as compared to the 1st time i encountered this problem prior to the HPFP replacement.

Will bring it to PML again.. this is giving me a headache man.....

For the benefits of N54 owners, perhaps PML should note the incidences:

"In at least the US market, the N54 engine has been characterized by a very large number of High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) failures, leading to many BMW NA vehicle Lemon Law "buy backs" and reduced customer goodwill. On some engines the HPFP was replaced four times within the first few years of service. BMW has instituted a 10-year, 120,000 mile warranty on the part, but only for 2007 and 2008 model year vehicles with the N54 engine. Other model years, to include 2009 models, continue to report HPFP failures. As of late 2009, the low pressure fuel sensor has become suspected of causing some premature failures of the HPFP by engine tuners such as AMS and CP-E."

BMW N54 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bimmerissues, before you buy a new E92 or E93 3 series BMW

skins;524600 said:
Is there any other reason besides HPFP that the CEL light will come on?
Few days back, had the same engine fault, reduced power message again despite changing the HPFP at PML abt 2 weeks back.

This also occurred few times over the wkend when i try to rev to 3500-4500rpm. But though the CEL popped out, the reduction in power was not greatly felt as compared to the 1st time i encountered this problem prior to the HPFP replacement.

Will bring it to PML again.. this is giving me a headache man.....

there could be many reasons.

best is let the system scan, highlight ur fault code,

Got back my car last week. According to PML, they say its some vacuum leak with my hoses and they have since replaced the hoses. So far still no issues but i seldom drive hard so cant really tell...Now just trying to hope i do not see the stupid failure message again...

skins;527299 said:
Got back my car last week. According to PML, they say its some vacuum leak with my hoses and they have since replaced the hoses. So far still no issues but i seldom drive hard so cant really tell...Now just trying to hope i do not see the stupid failure message again...

did they charge you?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawnloh1221
Back