HPFP Failure!

Re: HPFP Failure!

Guys,

i totally agree with jaskin comment. We should seek Kenn to take the lead... Kenn, what's ur opinion?

Raingod said:
We should seek Kenn to take the lead... Kenn, what's ur opinion?
At least gather those with HPFP issues and write to BMW Asia for claims?

This link shows the letter from BMW USA for HPFP extended warranty. Fyi. I have changed my HPFP once and may be in the process to change the second time next week. I collected my car earlier this week and they found some "error codes" that need more time to resolve the CEL. So I have sent it to PML again next week. PML didnt want to comment or confirm if it is the HPFP issue but something on the SA's checklist seemed to indicate that it could be the HPFP. PML is likely to say as a precaution, they will change the HPFP again. Let's see. This has to be resolved with BMW than PML, my 2 cents.

Just received a letter from BMW today... - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com

Max88;447118 said:
This link shows the letter from BMW USA for HPFP extended warranty. Fyi. I have changed my HPFP once and may be in the process to change the second time next week. I collected my car earlier this week and they found some "error codes" that need more time to resolve the CEL. So I have sent it to PML again next week. PML didnt want to comment or confirm if it is the HPFP issue but something on the SA's checklist seemed to indicate that it could be the HPFP. PML is likely to say as a precaution, they will change the HPFP again. Let's see. This has to be resolved with BMW than PML, my 2 cents.

Just received a letter from BMW today... - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com

i understand the HPFP has been revised a few times..maybe worthwhile to check that PML can provide you with the latest or more reliable version..

Anyone know how much does the HPFP replacement cost? Really scared to go PI route with this happening.

Guys ,i have a problem with my car,my power steering leakage,sent to workshop for replacement as my car is under TWM known as khatc auto as well at sin ming .i have extended the warranty but they say got to submit claim wait for spare parts then can do and pass me a bottle of ppower steering oil for standby to top up,i start to wonder their professional services again,how come you pple dun wanna sent to their workshop for warranty as dun have to pay for alot of things under their warranty care and instead vote for favourite juzz for car and BVO,just curious that all,can anyone enlighten me,thank you

Just kena HPFP replacement. Car went into limp mode while on expressway. Happended when I was trying to accelerate normally...car vibrates then loses power. Does not stall, but just low power and speed. The check engine light comes on and the idirve indicates "Engine Fault, Power reduced." So I just cruised the rest of the way to work at 60kmh to 80kmh.

Brought to PML today and SA says its a common occurence for 335's even over here. I thought it was a US based issue based on feedback on E90post.com

Anyway, full warranty replacement. No charges and no questions asked. SA says the new revised HPFP which has been installed will not fail as quickly. Please note that this is a common failure in the N54 engines (135, 335 etc.) and a BMW recorded repeated failure point hence BMWUSA has extended warranty on this HPFP part to 10 years for cars sold in the US. Does not apply to our cars though.

For those who want to get 335's from PI, the cost to replace the part(s) outside warranty or without warranty is over $5k, so you may want to factor that in to help negotiate a lower price :).

Will update more when I collect the car later this week. I'm already suffering from twin turbo withdrawal syndrome ... :-(

camelot88 said:
For those who want to get 335's from PI, the cost to replace the part(s) outside warranty or without warranty is over $5k, so you may want to factor that in to help negotiate a lower price
The part cost of the HPFP from Eng Soon is only about $800+, labour another $300-400, so once again, PML is telling you stories about the cost of the HPFP. No way it is $5K..........

RealOEM.com   BMW E92 335i High-pressure pump/Tubing

HI Bro,

Thanks for the pricing. SA was referring to HPFP + LPFP + injectors and sparks plus the usual PML supersized premium I suppose.....

Good to know when the HPFP fails again after warranty I can get it from Eng Soon...

You can get this replaced at BVO or Boss at $1,300 thereabout for sure.

on average, how long can the HPFP last? 1 year?

anyone changed more than once?

Sorry to bring up this issue. I am about to buy a pre owned e92 335. Brought to BVO for pre purchase inspection. Diagnostics show 2FBF, 29F1 and 29F2. I then got dealer to bring to PML. Now PML just saying that they going to do some programming and thats it. No need for HPFP replacement. Is that right? Can this problem be solved without replacing the pump?

Thanks in advance.

2FBF code is "fuel pressure on-release injection, pressure too low"

Hardware issues cannot be resolved by softwares lah......

kenntona;512513 said:
2FBF code is "fuel pressure on-release injection, pressure too low"

Hardware issues cannot be resolved by softwares lah......

Thanks man for the advice.. wow.. haven buy car yet but PML already chut pattern ah.. then like tat i get my dealer to insist to change the HPFP before i go ahead with the purchase.

SITUATION I

The customer may complain of the following:

* "Vehicle loses power while driving" or "Vehicle runs poorly".
* The Service Engine Soon light may be illuminated.
* GT1/DIS diagnosis shows fault code 29DC (Cylinder injection cut-out, pressure too low in high-pressure system), and/or 2FBF (Fuel pressure on-release injection, pressure too low); in some cases, also in conjunction with 29F1 (Fuel high-pressure, plausibility) and 29F2 (Fuel high-pressure, fuel pressure undershot).
* In some cases, misfire faults for various cylinders (e.g., FC 20D1, 29CF, 29D2, 29CE, 29D0, 29CC) are also stored in MSD80.

Important:

If fault codes 29F1/29F2 only are stored in the DME, refer to SI B12 16 06 (November 2006).

SITUATION II

The customer may complain of:

* Excessive cranking time before the engine starts (5-6 seconds) on a cold start or after a hot soak.
* In most cases, GT1/DIS diagnosis shows fault code 29DC and/or 2FBF.

CAUSE

Possible causes may include:

* Sensitivity of an injection pump (HDP) diagnostic software.
* Internal failure of a high-pressure injection pump (HDP).
* Failure of an electric fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter.
* Failure of the low or high-pressure sensors.
* Failure of a volume control valve.
* Defective fuel injector.
* Intermittent electrical connection problem (wire and/or connector) in the fuel delivery system.

CORRECTION

On a customer complaint basis only, and when the fault codes listed above are stored in the DME memory:

On E90 and E92 vehicles

1. Check the vehicle's integration level.
2. If the integration level is found to be "E089-06-09-540" or lower, then reprogram and/or recode the complete vehicle using PROGMAN V24.02 or higher (target integration level "E089-06-12-510" or higher).
3. Test drive the vehicle after programming to verify the effectiveness of the repair.

On E93, E60, E61, E82, E88 and E71 vehicles or on E90 and E92 vehicles with the integration E089-06-12-510 or higher, where fault codes 29DC and/or 2FBF/29F1/29F2 are found to be stored in the DME:

1. Use the current DIS/GT1 diagnosis software (V53 or higher).
2. Perform all applicable DIS/GT1 test plans, starting with B1214_DI6KNDR (Low Pressure Fuel System test plan). This test module may be accessed using the following path: Function selection / Drive / Motor Electronics / Low-pressure fuel system / Test Plan.
3. The low pressure fuel test module requires comparison of the pressure reading from the low pressure sensor with the actual pressure value read via DIS/GT1 with the 25 bar pressure transducer.
4. Remove the front underbody panels.
5. Disconnect the fuel supply line and install special tool 135 270 (PN 83 30 0 491 310), indicated as number 2 on the attached illustration.
6. Connect the 25 bar pressure transducer (1) with the DIS tester or GT1 with MIB. (Remember that the displayed pressure value includes 1 bar of atmospheric pressure – always deduct 1 bar to obtain a correct fuel pressure reading.)

IMPORTANT NOTE:

The special tool PN 83 30 0 491 310 (M62 fuel pressure adapter hose) was previously sent via the Automatic Tool Shipment Program (SI B04 09 97).

The E9x/E6x N54 Repair Instruction RA13 31 029 (Checking fuel feed pressure N53/N54) incorrectly indicates that the special adaptor tool 136 030 should be used during this procedure. The repair manual instruction will be corrected with the next DIS software release.

7. Perform all applicable steps of the Low Pressure Fuel test module B1214_DI6KNDR. Pay attention to all questions being displayed during diagnosis and answer them correctly.

After completion of all diagnostic steps, end the test module and enter the "fault feedback" screen. Enter the result of a diagnosis process into the DiagnosisCode dialog box and obtain a "Diagnostic Code".

In case no failure can be currently detected in the low pressure fuel system, enter the last option "No fault found" into the dialog box. The obtained Diagnostic Code should be included in the comment section of the warranty claim.

8. After completion of the Low Pressure Fuel test, perform the High Pressure Fuel System test B1214_ DI6KHDR . This test module may be accessed using the following path: Function selection / Drive / Motor Electronics / High-pressure fuel system / Test plan.

9. Perform all applicable steps of the High Pressure Fuel test module B1214_DI6KHDR. Pay attention to all questions being displayed during diagnosis and answer them correctly.

Important Note:

When comparing the measured fuel pressure with the engine running at idle speed, make sure to let the fuel pressure stabilize for approximately 60 seconds prior to the final reading. Otherwise, an implausible value (around 150 bars) is going to be entered into the test, resulting in inaccurate diagnosis (defective high-pressure pump).

10. After completion of all diagnostic steps, end the test module and enter the "fault feedback" screen. Enter the result of a diagnosis process into the DiagnosisCode dialog box and obtain a "Diagnostic Code".

In case no failure can be currently detected in the high-pressure fuel system, enter the last option "No fault found" into the dialog box. The obtained Diagnostic Code should be included in the comment section of the warranty claim.

Important Note:

When entering the test results into diagnostic feedback, make sure that you scroll down on the selection screen to be able to view all available options. For example, option "(5) Fuel pump defective" refers only to the electric fuel pump failure; option "(8) High-pressure pump defective" provides the right diagnostic code for HDP failure.

11. Make sure that FASTA data is transmitted after the completion of all appropriate test modules.

12. In case the high-pressure injection pump needs to be replaced, use the updated part P/N 13 51 7 592 881, which incorporates the latest improvements to internal sealing. For the pump replacement procedure, refer to RA 13 51 017, found in BMW TIS.

Important:

When following the RA 13 51 017 replacement procedure, disregard a recommendation to replace an HDP inlet line which has a soldered holder with the one equipped with the "elastomer type of holder". The line replacement applies only to the N53 engine, which is not available in the US market.

13. After replacement, clear the adaptation values of the high-pressure flow control valve in the DME by selecting the path:

* Service Functions

* Drive

* Motor Electronics

* Adjustment Programs

* Clear Adaptations, and then Test plan

* (2): Reset adaptive values.

IMPORTANT PARTS ORDERING INFORMATION

1. It is NO longer required to submit a PuMA case when encountering HDP failure as described in this Service Bulletin and diagnosed with DIS/GT1.

2. HDP fuel injection pumps (P/N 13 51 7 592 881) are available from PDCs without any special Technical Hotline authorization required.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
For information only.

The DIS test plans B1214_ DI6KNDR and B1214_DI6KHDR for both low and high-pressure fuel systems must be competed before a high-pressure injection pump (HDP) is replaced.

Warranty claims may be denied:

1. If not supported by diagnostic test plans (transferred via FASTA). Make sure to include the "Diagnostic Code" in the comments section of the warranty claim.

2. If the latest diagnostic software is not used.

FYI, that was "SI B 12 55 06 Engine Electrical Systems September 2008 Technical Service" which supersedes "SI B12 55 06 dated June 2008." PML should know this bulletin.

SUBJECT = N54 - Diagnosis for DME FC 29DC/2FBF

kenntona;512517 said:
FYI, that was "SI B 12 55 06 Engine Electrical Systems September 2008 Technical Service" which supersedes "SI B12 55 06 dated June 2008." PML should know this bulletin.

SUBJECT = N54 - Diagnosis for DME FC 29DC/2FBF

Hi Bro,

really appreciate your prompt advice on this issue.. will print out and probably show to PML/dealer if necessary. Thanks..

skins said:
really appreciate your prompt advice on this issue.. will print out and probably show to PML/dealer if necessary. Thanks..
Basically, with that, you are telling them what to do..... wahahahahahaha......... they will be pissed.

kenntona;512522 said:
Basically, with that, you are telling them what to do..... wahahahahahaha......... they will be pissed.

if they get pissed you bring along Kenntona...then right dude to show them some gangster pattern.

Wow.. I rather they be pissed than me if i get the car ma... cos was seeing other owners in the same thread stating that they gt the hpfp replaced under warranty so i thought it was a pretty straightforward affair.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nn88lol
Back