How to impove hall wifi signal to room

Re: How to impove hall wifi signal to room

just sharing...

got this local brand, sineoji, from challenger as recommended by the salesperson. a pair of 600mbps gigabit homeplug av2 going at a member promo price of $115. one unit works fine but the other unit keep reseting on an average time of ~10mins. did a firmware upgrade for the sineoji but still the same reset issue (some powersave timing duration thing when internet speed is low???). returned the items the next day and opted for the aztech gigabit powerline 600mbps. sineoji is "supposedly" to be using the qualcomm qca7450 av-based ic (which is quite stable).

the aztechs are "so far okay"...

discovered this vid comparing the both (but no audio...)... [video=youtube;48O9ziFaMBQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48O9ziFaMBQ[/video]

the repeater option is not stable. Bandwidth may get dropped occasionally. Red bean summarized options well, and I feel access point and relocating router the best ways to solve this.

home plug will lose speed. i am using az now... but for normal surfing and email is ok. when play online games will suffer.

Try an apple router and u might not need a repeater for the same floor. I'm using the latest apple AirPort Extreme.

Even my previous 5yr old apple router penetrates wall better than the Asus N66U provided by the ISP.

Can someone advise which option gives better speed?

Option 1
Connect to hall router using Wi-Fi.

Option 2
Connect to hall router through wire to room power adapter / wire from hall power adapter to router.

Thank you.

nivlac;1094126 said:
home plug will lose speed. i am using az now... but for normal surfing and email is ok. when play online games will suffer.

IS250C;1096307 said:
Can someone advise which option gives better speed?

Option 1
Connect to hall router using Wi-Fi.

Option 2
Connect to hall router through wire to room power adapter / wire from hall power adapter to router.

Thank you.

Think no standard answer. Depends on distance, no. of walls, etc. best bet is to borrow and try den decide which works best. :)

True true.
Never fixed the variables.

How about :
1) 2 metres from laptop to tip of antenna without anything in between using WiFi.
2) 2 metres from laptop to LAN 1 port of router using cable.

nivlac;1096364 said:
Think no standard answer. Depends on distance, no. of walls, etc. best bet is to borrow and try den decide which works best. :)

WIFI Repeater is he best, u should check hardwarezone might help you out better.

Sure or not.
I heard using repeater will reduce speed by half because the repeater will need to receive the signal from the router and then broadcast out again.

Hashir;1096377 said:
WIFI Repeater is he best, u should check hardwarezone might help you out better.

Repeaters are not necessarily good. Technically there are many types of repeaters. Some are simple client + AP, some needs to participate in WDS and it can get complicated. You should also survey your area for interference, e.g. microwave oven, neighbours, etc.

Rather than experimenting and spending money on random hardware, I suggest you get somebody to do it right. It can be quite frustrating because I helped a relative in a big house set one up, it was a LOT of work.

Do you want somebody to help you, i.e. pay a professional to do it. I'm sure there's somebody in this forum who can help.

Last edited by a moderator:

IS250C;1096379 said:
Sure or not.
I heard using repeater will reduce speed by half because the repeater will need to receive the signal from the router and then broadcast out again.

This is correct. Technically the bandwidth is halved by every repeater added. The better solution is to get a second AP wired to the first.

zeee;1093997 said:
just sharing...

got this local brand, sineoji, from challenger as recommended by the salesperson. a pair of 600mbps gigabit homeplug av2 going at a member promo price of $115. one unit works fine but the other unit keep reseting on an average time of ~10mins. did a firmware upgrade for the sineoji but still the same reset issue (some powersave timing duration thing when internet speed is low???). returned the items the next day and opted for the aztech gigabit powerline 600mbps. sineoji is "supposedly" to be using the qualcomm qca7450 av-based ic (which is quite stable).

the aztechs are "so far okay"...

discovered this vid comparing the both (but no audio...)... [video=youtube;48O9ziFaMBQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48O9ziFaMBQ[/video]

Be careful with homeplug adaptors. In HDB and condo where it is just a single phase power, it will work without problem. But in big houses where there are multi-phase power, the homeplug adaptor cannot reach another socket that's on a different phase.

Bought a repeater, everything worked fine until I accidentally powered it off. Now the Wifi signal sucks. Anyone can help advise?

Back