Hi all + Question

prelude4

Hi all,

Newbie here and sure feels first day in school for my introduction.

My wife was complaining to upgrade her car due to our family expansion and I was tasked (more like instructed) to look out for a suitable model.

I had a Subaru and subsequently Honda previously but gave it up few years ago myself ( i have strong reason to believe that is the reason why my search for a family car always ended up with something totally unrelated).

The thing is, I stumbled onto an E36 conversion to 46 which looks decent and it is those moments when you start having risky ideas... I think when I see something that makes me smile, it is a good start.

I think the I6 engine is a good base platform to start but I have a few questions. Sorry to hijack this room but i tried posting in 3 series unsuccessfully.

1) How much does it cost to convert to manual gear box and can i mount it onto the engine directly? I was hoping that I can still use the auto diff but might still require manual prop,bearing, pedal box+clutch etc..

2) How much does it cost to convert back to auto? (forward planning here, in case i need to convert back to sell in future).

Appreciate if there are any suggestions from the gurus here. Thanks and have a great day alll.

jasen

Re: Hi all + Question

Hi and welcome to the forum....

first question....ARE YOU MAD??!!!

you are suggesting buying an E36 and converting to E46... then auto box convert to manual gear box then eventually convert to auto gear box before selling car.... etc etc??

plus you have young kids.... and its going to be daily driver for wife....??

what is your budget to buy a car anyways??

have you considered other continental brands? merc, VW, audi etc?

or do you just have to have a BMW?

jasonmaxima;795941 said:
Hi and welcome to the forum....

first question....ARE YOU MAD??!!!

you are suggesting buying an E36 and converting to E46... then auto box convert to manual gear box then eventually convert to auto gear box before selling car.... etc etc??

plus you have young kids.... and its going to be daily driver for wife....??

what is your budget to buy a car anyways??

have you considered other continental brands? merc, VW, audi etc?

or do you just have to have a BMW?

Hi,

Not bad considering i posted, quick exit to washroom, back and got some response. Bro, your initial response sound so much like my wife I'm suspecting if it is her posing as someone else...

Probably will get another MPV, like what you suggested, for the kids and mother. As I said, Im looking at something for myself.

The car is already facelifted to e46. Its on sale in sgcarmart. A 1992 320 coupe. Im not sure if its nice to post it here but you can search. I was thinking of converting it to manual as it could be more fun to drive considering the e36 coupe is a rwd. The conversion back to auto is only a possibility as Im weighing the options and abit of forward planning as mentioned.

You are right im on a budget as im playing with the idea of a car I can enjoy and tinker with in my personal time. I looked around other makes and models but I think this car makes better sense overall. I cannot imagine buying a car depreciating more than 8-10k a mth (no offense to anyone, its my wallet talking..). The cost/utility spread isn't worth it for me.

thanks!

jasen

bro... 1 hour in the toilet is a long time.

ok... back to your topic.

if the car is for your own personal use.... then by all means buy whatever your heart / wallet / head pleases you.

I think your price range is around 45k thereabouts.... a quick check on sgcarmart shows

suzuki swift sport to 2006 wrx / 2002 evo 7 and everything in between... the choices are very wide and varied.

if its gonna be a daily driver for your wife to ferry kids.... best bet is a used jap mpv....

Hi and welcome to the forum..dont think i can help much but stay tune for more advices...im pretty sure more will come along...:)

Hi prelude,

welcome onboard.............

cheers

Buy e class!

jasonmaxima;796021 said:
bro... 1 hour in the toilet is a long time.

ok... back to your topic.

if the car is for your own personal use.... then by all means buy whatever your heart / wallet / head pleases you.

I think your price range is around 45k thereabouts.... a quick check on sgcarmart shows

suzuki swift sport to 2006 wrx / 2002 evo 7 and everything in between... the choices are very wide and varied.

if its gonna be a daily driver for your wife to ferry kids.... best bet is a used jap mpv....

Wish????????

cheerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs

Hi all,

Thanks for the warm greetings. Yeah we are looking at a 2nd hand Odyssey for the kids and mother. The other MPVs seems abit tight and not that spacious.

Maybe someone can help me to post the questions on manual conversion to the 3 series forum? I think newbies still have no permission to post.

prelude4;796205 said:
Hi all,

Thanks for the warm greetings. Yeah we are looking at a 2nd hand Odyssey for the kids and mother. The other MPVs seems abit tight and not that spacious.

Maybe someone can help me to post the questions on manual conversion to the 3 series forum? I think newbies still have no permission to post.

you will need at least 10posts before you can posts.........

so POSTssssssssssss
cheerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
i9bet9club
Back