Help: Remove Lexus Headrest

kiss29

Hi,
Got a new GS300 recently.
Need to install a LCD on the front seat headrest.
Seems like the front seat headrest can extend fully upwards, but cannot be removed.
Its the normal headrest with two vertical rods.
Anyonw has the front seat diagram, so that I can know how to remove the headrest to install the LCD screen?
I know the RX and IS headrest can be removed easily.
But this GS300 seems to have an internal lock/stopper that is preventing the headrest from taken out fully.

Anyway knows how to remove it?

Re: Help: Remove Lexus Headrest

i believe u might have to bring back to dealer for it to be removed. is the headrest electrically operated?

for my e65, its also electrically operated so based on that u need to open the back cover of the seat, but need to be careful bc can damage the seat and break the clips. u need to check if u can add the screen like that, for the e65 the dealership told me its an active headrest or something so u cant place inserts into the headrest. could be the same for the lexus

Last edited by a moderator:

Not sure whether its electrical or not. But its the normal luxury version not the high-end super luxury GS300.
Did not see any buttons to move up or down at the seat control, so most likely its manual.
When I press the clip, I can pull the headrest up and down easily. The only problem is it just can;'t come out fully, due to some lock/stopper somewhere.
Bring back to the delear to take out, just so I can install the LCD bracket......aiya...so leychey...
Will see got any more tips from forumers here or not.
If not then no choice but to get it done at AD during the 1000km servicing lah.
Thanks.

kiss29;517406 said:
Not sure whether its electrical or not. But its the normal luxury version not the high-end super luxury GS300.
Did not see any buttons to move up or down at the seat control, so most likely its manual.
When I press the clip, I can pull the headrest up and down easily. The only problem is it just can;'t come out fully, due to some lock/stopper somewhere.
Bring back to the delear to take out, just so I can install the LCD bracket......aiya...so leychey...
Thanks.
the button/ clip is to release and lock the headrest, that might have to come off if there is a stopper at the bottom of headrest legs. seems like a big risk to yank it out. might cause permanent damage.

kiss29;517406 said:
Thanks.

Manual or electrical u need to release the clip, and to access the clip u need to open the back cover of the seat.

kiss29;517373 said:
Hi,
Got a new GS300 recently.
Need to install a LCD on the front seat headrest.
Seems like the front seat headrest can extend fully upwards, but cannot be removed.
Its the normal headrest with two vertical rods.
Anyonw has the front seat diagram, so that I can know how to remove the headrest to install the LCD screen?
I know the RX and IS headrest can be removed easily.
But this GS300 seems to have an internal lock/stopper that is preventing the headrest from taken out fully.

Anyway knows how to remove it?

kiss, who is your SE at lexus?
call him/her and ask or F him/her for not explaining it to you when you pick up the car

to remove, adjust the headrest for the driver side of the GS, its abit more tricky.

for the passenger side, you just have to push in a clip of sort at the base on one of the vertical rods, and while holding it down, lift it high enough till the entire headrest is remove.

but for the driver side, there's no such clip on the vertical rod. instead, what you have to do is to locate this round dot/symbol that has been sorta embossed onto the leather. where is this located? its at the flat/horizontal part of the backrest. i don't think there's a term for it so its abit hard to describe it to you. you can also think of it as the part where your headrest sits, come into the contact with the rest of the seat.

you should be able to see the circular mark there, its very small, slightly less than 1cm in diameter. once u found it, that's it. press down on the circle itself (its a marker), u can feel a pin of sort underneath it, thats your clip. just pressed on it and remove the entire headrest

it was the case for the 07/08 GS, hope its the same for your 09 :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the tips, will try it out this evening.

My wife collected the car herself lah. As long the car can drive and the SE helped set the memory seats to link with her key, and thats all she wants in a car.

Not the fault of the SE lah, since we never asked SE about it.
Our previous two lexus, IS and RX, both headrest can take out easily.

Now need to transfer the LCD holder to this new GS, is where the issue arised.

The passenger side got no locking? Weird, as I tried squeezing the clip (that holds the vertical rod at various height), but the headrest simple just cant' be pulled out. There must be additional lock on the base of the two vertical rods!

not that i know of kiss29.

as long as u r able to squeeze the clip and adjust the height of the headrest, u shld be able to remove it completely, unless they made a change to the 2009 model?

give it a try, otherwise, just give your SE a call and ask for him/her to guide u how to do it over the phone

joshdway;517830 said:
not that i know of kiss29.

as long as u r able to squeeze the clip and adjust the height of the headrest, u shld be able to remove it completely, unless they made a change to the 2009 model?

give it a try, otherwise, just give your SE a call and ask for him/her to guide u how to do it over the phone
might be an isolated incident where kiss's headrest is spoilt

Headrest spoilt? Alarmak, hope its not tha serious lah.

Will try to locate and then activate the secret dot on the horizontal part of the seat as described by joshdway.
Maybe both front seats now has the secret button to remove the headrest for the 2010 GS300.

When did you take delivery of your new GS300?

Of what I know, the latest batch of GS300 comes with the new "Active Headrest". It means the headrest of the two front seats are each attached electronically to a solenoid built in the chair. The purpose is, in the event of a rear collision, the in-built solenoid and sensor will push your headrest forward electronically to minimize whiplash. Probably it's due to this electronic wiring that the factory restricts the owner from pulling out the headrests.

I could be wrong.

Back