Help!! Has this happened to you before?

Gonzo

Hi guys,

This morning, my dad was filling up petrol at the station. At the same time, he asked the pump attendant to check the car's (E60) fluids. The amazing thing happened next, the attendant pulled out the floating indicator in the coolant reservior, thinking it was some foreign object!!! He tried putting it back but the floating indicator "sinked" into the coolant reservior and could not be seen from the outside.

Has this happened to anyone? I think my dad is the first to encounter such a thing!!

Could this affect the coolant flowing to the radiator. Could any of the sensors be affected?

Please advice. The car is about 1.5 years old only!!

Thanks in advance.
Adrian

ps: I swear never to let the pump attendant does anything except pump petrol to the car.

Re: Help!! Has this happened to you before?

You mean the attendant opened the coolant reservior when it was hot? Wow.

Anyway, there is a floating level for the coolant reservior. When you open the cap,it's supposed to float up, so that you can check the level against the opening, i.e., squat down so that you are eye level with the coolant reservior opening neck, you should see this this float thingie bobbing up and down, and it should be within the "normal" range. If you can't see it bobbing up and down, it probably means your coolant level is too low.

But I'm surprised when the attendant opened it when hot. You mean nothing spilled out?

I guess so from what my Dad told me!! Maybe the attendant is trained in Iron Fist!!!

Yes that was the floating thing that the guy pulled out!!!

just put it back (the right way) and fill it up totally with water. if the thing bobs out like normal, good. if not, go PML let them have a look and no more ang pao for the uncle during CNY.

coolent+water should have followed out when hot leh... have your radiator checked more regularly from now...

the last time (E36) i left the radiator cap uncapped, drove to town... smelt coolent when i parked... top up... after a few hours, drive home, half-way hot indicator light came on... heard a pop sound... steam from under the bonnet... towed back to pml... the rest is history with an expensive lesson learnt...

the thing about these uncles checking fluids is that most of the time, they dont know car layouts... ie where is the washer reservoir, brake fluid reservoir etc... happened to me at Shell when this uncle opened my brake fluid reservoir, caught him capping with the water container still in his hand... i asked him did he top up water into my brake fluid reservoir... scared the shit out of him and he denied... went to change me brake fluid the same day anyway...

Sent the car to Kg Arrang. The CSA said that should not be a problem and replacing it is gonna be a bomb.

Yup you guys are right. Steam shot out after releasing a little of the cap. Guess later i will go back and have a look at the car after all the frentic phone calls from my dad. Hopefully like what Racebread said, the thing bobs up when i fill up the water.

Thanks guys.

Guess will get the attendant to only do his primary job and that's to pump petrol next time.
Extra services NO THANKS!!! DIY the best!!! Hahaha....

Gonzo said:
Sent the car to Kg Arrang. The CSA said that should not be a problem and replacing it is gonna be a bomb.

Yup you guys are right. Steam shot out after releasing a little of the cap. Guess later i will go back and have a look at the car after all the frentic phone calls from my dad. Hopefully like what Racebread said, the thing bobs up when i fill up the water.

Thanks guys.

Guess will get the attendant to only do his primary job and that's to pump petrol next time.
Extra services NO THANKS!!! DIY the best!!! Hahaha....

BTW, it is hard to check coolant level accurately when engine is hot. Engine must be off at least 30 minutes or more. Best to check coolant level is early morning after parked overnite. Never get pump attendant to check your bimmer or for that matter anything else. Most of the time you will regret it.
Most people don't read manual that comes with the car. Read them and it only take an hour or so leisurely and it will save tonnes of trouble or $$$.
Sound like yr dad's car same batch as mine. Very early adopter... who bought w/o seeing what it looks like in real metal?

cheers

rex7_vtec said:
One of our dear forummer here had the uncle pour water into his brake fluid reservoir, lagi fierce!!

Btw I didn't know Shawn was Racing Breads.... HAHAHAHAHA

Oops!!! Sorrie Shawn!!!! My bad!!! This must be the result of replying while in office. Always the constant lookout of the Big Boss. Hahaha......

Anyway got a quote from the CSA at Kg Arrang, the damage will be about $210. Not too bad. But still......sigh....

zag said:
Sound like yr dad's car same batch as mine. Very early adopter... who bought w/o seeing what it looks like in real metal?

Yup My dad got it during the launch. Very early adopter, with lots of problems (eg. stalling for no reasons at dead slow speeds, active steering probs...). But after all the table banging with the CSA, so far so good till TODAY!!!

At the beginning, my mum drove it most of the time. And god!!! she really just drives the car and nothing else, never check tire pressure, fluids and everything. Till i took it out one day to find all the warning signals flashing...i was like WTF!!! Well looking on the bright side, at least all the sensors are working fine...Hahahaha.....

i NEVER let the pump attendant touch my car. not even to top up petrol. they damage more things than help. i have had more than a few unpleasant experiences with these people to ever let them touch my cars.

I had the unpleasant experiencing of having an attendant wipe water off the boot with his rubber squiggy whilst paying for my fuel, came back and found long scratch marks across my boot

Kena before. Now whenever I go pump petrol, I'll make it a point to tell "Uncle" not to clean any part of my car. Anyway you should be able to polish those scartches off if they're not too deep.

Racebred said:
i NEVER let the pump attendant touch my car. not even to top up petrol. they damage more things than help. i have had more than a few unpleasant experiences with these people to ever let them touch my cars.

Did one of them break that connecting rubber of ur fuel cap? :lol2:

Talking about the pump attendant......sigh. My Mini fuel cap is open flap type but most of the pump attendant will try to "turn" it instead of just opening it........and u can see that use so much cow milk strenght as to bent the lip...........knn. :(

Hey guys,

I started a thread in the Lounge Section on "What amazing things pump attendants do to you car"

Just for the fun of it. Hope no one is offended.

Did one of them break that connecting rubber of ur fuel cap? Yes, happened on me recently!

Attendant damage, but act blur.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
777kingcc
Back