Help! E46 M3 SMG gearbox goes to neutral

NineEleven

Hi guys, it just suddenly happened today.

I have an 02 M3 SMG. Mileage is just 32k km.

The yellow engine light+an exclamation light is on. The car is travelling & suddenly goes into neutral & won't engage any gears. Got to glide towards roadside then try engaging gears again.

Took almost a minute & I have to switched off, armed, disarmed then restart again before it could bite into gears. Doesn't work all the time.

Happened again later in a carpark when it won't go into reverse or anything else.

Could it be worn clutch, but @ 32k km?

Next service is due in 12k km.

Has anyone with the SMG2 experienced this & the problem/solution? Thanks.

Re: Help! E46 M3 SMG gearbox goes to neutral

Could be a software issue. Best to bring it in for diagnostic checkup.

My SMG (non-M) experienced the same issue before.

Damn, the car's stuck & won't start in gear. Looks like I have to tow it.

I was entering the carpark this morning & while negotiating a slow turn, it popped into neutral & won't engage again.....

I'd encountered a similar situation previously and the problem was diagnosed to be caused by a faulty alternator that failed to charge the battery and provide a steady supply of electrical current to the vehicle electronics. Apparently, this disrupted the ECU and caused it not be be able to switch gears when it was supposed to. Hope this helps! How's your ride now?

check for hydraulic leaks, pumps, actuator and clutch (last thing)... long shot, but it could also be your hood sensor not showing it's properly closed?

good luck!

It can be a smg shift sensor. I had the same trouble too, luckily was under warranty claim.

Hi guys,

I need help as I have the same like the first writer said. My 535i F10 after 5th years.. suddently it sel-swift to neutral and cann engage to D. Send workshop seem ok.. can drive and problem come on and off so what is the issue? Workshop think "MAYBE" electronic card? That cost $5,000 to $6,000 to repair??!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8may88vip
Back