Hello! New to the forum and hoping for some advice...

linrikin

Hi everyone! I'm not yet an owner of a BMW but I'm hoping that candid views from the brothers and sisters here can help me decide if I should be joining the club (at least ride-wise!)

I currently drive a Saab convertible and is looking to change my ride as my baby is starting to give me a lot of problems. I have narrowed down my search to the BMW 428i convertible and the Merc E250 convertible. While I think that the Merc feels more luxurious, I like the drive of the BMW more and I love the gadgets! My hesitation is this - I've heard so much about the reliability of Mercedes and in contrast, heard that while BMW is good at innovation, the engines themselves and the cars tend to have more problems. While these problems can be fixed by the workshop, it does mean the car spending more time in the workshop and obviously therefore an increase in inconvenience and cost.

I am not sure if this is a fair question to ask (and if indeed this is the right place to post such a question!) but I was hoping to hear from those of you who are currently driving Beemers or who used to drive a Beemer or Merc and who are willing to share your views on this.

My thanks in advance!

Re: Hello! New to the forum and hoping for some advice...

All of my kids grew up with 2 marques - Saabs and BMWs. Slept well in it.

The exhaust harmonics and the handling kept them happy ....... something Mercs don't have.

linrikin;1082508 said:
Hi everyone! I'm not yet an owner of a BMW but I'm hoping that candid views from the brothers and sisters here can help me decide if I should be joining the club (at least ride-wise!)

I currently drive a Saab convertible and is looking to change my ride as my baby is starting to give me a lot of problems. I have narrowed down my search to the BMW 428i convertible and the Merc E250 convertible. While I think that the Merc feels more luxurious, I like the drive of the BMW more and I love the gadgets! My hesitation is this - I've heard so much about the reliability of Mercedes and in contrast, heard that while BMW is good at innovation, the engines themselves and the cars tend to have more problems. While these problems can be fixed by the workshop, it does mean the car spending more time in the workshop and obviously therefore an increase in inconvenience and cost.

I am not sure if this is a fair question to ask (and if indeed this is the right place to post such a question!) but I was hoping to hear from those of you who are currently driving Beemers or who used to drive a Beemer or Merc and who are willing to share your views on this.

My thanks in advance!

Welcome welcome

BMWs are sexy.

Welcome aboard...!!!

Welcums!!!! regarding 8, 12 n 5 o'clock brand, I think tigresssss can ans ur questions... she's frm the other camp..

lol... I was wondering what's 8 12 and 5 o'clock :p
Welcome to the forum linrikin! Heh.. I don't think I'm qualified 2 comment cos I never owned a beemer before...but I would agree with you, as I feel that BMW's tech advances beat Merc hands-down. I used to be brand loyalist, but lately I find myself flirting with the idea of switching over 2 beemer.. brand loyalty is a myth :p

As for the part abt car reliability... i can't say that merc is more reliable. The engine is quite okay, but there are other issues as well.
My family has 2 merc, one is the e200 which is supposedly the 'bread n butter' car, but there're also little problems that will crop up every once in a while, which is annoying. Eg. boot cannot open, headlight problems. And each time we send the car for servicing, mechanic tells us that there's another part that needs 2 be changed, so end up spend a lot for servicing.

For the SLK, lagi better. I love it because it's fun 2 drive, love the character of the car.
But it has its problems as well - within the last year, we spent a 5-figure sum for servicing/changing parts. Sian :( But to be fair, it's quite old already.

if u are into car modding, go for BM cos BM got more stuff to mod. Looks fiercer too, in my opinion :)

i guess the bottom line is, it's hard to define which is a 'better' car. Both have their own strengths n weaknesses...but don't assume that a merc guarantees lower maintenance costs... I spent so much $$ n time @ CnC that I want to tor hui sometimes... my coe expires nxt yr, might switch 2 beemer.. hehe

Good post, pertinent points - very well said :).

Just buy what you like given new bmw 428 / e250 convertible should be well covered under agent warranty. Once it's out of warranty, that's another thing all together.

linrikin;1082508 said:

My thanks in advance!

Hi lin,

welcome onboard....

* go test drive both variant ...... ( Sheer Driving Pleasure Rocks )
cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Just go out & test drive. Juz buy whichever u like.

wobbles;1082567 said:
Good post, pertinent points - very well said :).

oh.... tigeress onli well said hor....

ur hse still gt liu lian cut boh.... LOL

davidtch;1082571 said:
Just go out & test drive. Juz buy whichever u like.

dont buy bm cos fc no gd... rain need take bus...

MW say one....

Thanks everyone, but especially to tigress! Very helpful.

how does the 428i compare with the e250 power wise?

isjm;1082721 said:
how does the 428i compare with the e250 power wise?

428i
Performance
Power245 bhp
Torque350 Nm
Acceleration5.8s (0-100 km/h)
Top speed250 km/h
Fuel consumption15.6 km/L
CO2 emission149 g/km (As tested by LTA)

E250
Performance
Power204 bhp
Torque310 Nm
Acceleration7.4s (0-100 km/h)
Top speed249 km/h
Fuel consumption12.9 km/L
CO2 emission187 g/km (Manufacturer specs)

Welcome. You're asking question on BMW forum so likely view will favour one side. Some Mercs are quite good so it's really individual taste. Sit in both and you'll know which one to get ;)

those acceleration figures are for the coupe right? anyway if you are a power hungry person, should go for the bm. even with my n20 28i i also buay lun go zheng. wish i had more money to buy the n55

Mercedes' fans will say got AMG kit can Liao, without AMG power

Power not impt ...

JuzMe;1082724 said:
Welcome. You're asking question on BMW forum so likely view will favour one side. Some Mercs are quite good so it's really individual taste. Sit in both and you'll know which one to get ;)

I think power-wise the BMW is definitely much better. When I test drove the car, I did like the drive for the BMW much more. I am more concerned about people saying that in terms of reliability, merc is more reliable and that BMW cars tend to break down more easily. What is your experience with your brand new beemers? Other than the usual wear and tear, have they generally been trouble-free?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hema
Back