Gearbox Solenoid Change - Jerking Problem Solved - E90

Re: Gearbox Solenoid Change - Jerking Problem Solved - E90

Aaron_BMW;960241 said:
Ok, PM u now

Received your PM, got to save for all these works.

With the new MAS ruling, I am loving my ride more and more.

obiang;960877 said:
Received your PM, got to save for all these works.

With the new MAS ruling, I am loving my ride more and more.

Ur reply is funny

I would like to share my view of this as i have some experience of this...I had the same problem and it happens when I am accelerating from standstill. Some work was done on the gear box and the problem still persist.

Surprisingly the issue went away when my engine mountings were replaced due to wear and tear.

Perhaps the issue might be with drive-train related - and in my opinion, the engine mounting would be also a good place to start.

HI Guys just a update of what i did to my E90, as a result of changes in MAS for loans and downpayment for cars, i decided to do up my ride and drive till scrap ;) As for the famous problem for the oil leak and gearbox problem, i went to buy parts from our local supplier and change all the seals and O'rings, as for the gearbox which is famous for jerking when comes to a stop and changing gear which irritated me for a long time, i change the solenoid and now my car feel like new~ No more headache on Oil leak ~ Gear Jerking ~ Hope all bros drive carefully and enjoy their current ride

steppy;961825 said:
I would like to share my view of this as i have some experience of this...I had the same problem and it happens when I am accelerating from standstill. Some work was done on the gear box and the problem still persist.

Surprisingly the issue went away when my engine mountings were replaced due to wear and tear.

Perhaps the issue might be with drive-train related - and in my opinion, the engine mounting would be also a good place to start.

I personally do not think the replacement of engine mounting can solve gear box problem.
Could be due to the new engine mounting, you don't feel the jerk anymore?

GTIbm;964957 said:
HI Guys just a update of what i did to my E90, as a result of changes in MAS for loans and downpayment for cars, i decided to do up my ride and drive till scrap ;) As for the famous problem for the oil leak and gearbox problem, i went to buy parts from our local supplier and change all the seals and O'rings, as for the gearbox which is famous for jerking when comes to a stop and changing gear which irritated me for a long time, i change the solenoid and now my car feel like new~ No more headache on Oil leak ~ Gear Jerking ~ Hope all bros drive carefully and enjoy their current ride

Congrats !
Our car expensive repairs are usually engine, gearbox and air-con

Aaron_BMW;965004 said:
Congrats !
Our car expensive repairs are usually engine, gearbox and air-con

Agree. Now praying for air con no problem ~

Hi everyone, I'm new in this forum and would like some help and advise please. I own a E90 320 2006 Model, recently i've got this gearbox problem hence i went to a workshop to check, after they did a reset on the system the car went back to normal for about a week and the same problem came back again, the funny think is that everytime they do a reset the gearbox error sign goes off for a few days and comes back again. i got the reports saying shifting from 3rd gear to 4th gear problem, they says i may need to overhaul the gearbox. can you guys give me some advise or has anyone encounter this problem b4...i can even paddle hard on my car as it trips everytime i do it and after i restart the car its ok den after a few times the light stays on and i need to go to the work shop again....please help.... :(

rellik;965061 said:
Hi everyone, I'm new in this forum and would like some help and advise please. I own a E90 320 2006 Model, recently i've got this gearbox problem hence i went to a workshop to check, after they did a reset on the system the car went back to normal for about a week and the same problem came back again, the funny think is that everytime they do a reset the gearbox error sign goes off for a few days and comes back again. i got the reports saying shifting from 3rd gear to 4th gear problem, they says i may need to overhaul the gearbox. can you guys give me some advise or has anyone encounter this problem
b4...i can even paddle hard on my car as it trips everytime i do it and after i restart the car its ok den after a few times the light stays on and i need to go to the work shop again....please help.... :(

Hi Bro rellik, today i happened to follow my friend to this Ellipse Auto transmission which is at 21 sin ming ind estate sector A #01-40 to check on his renault grand scienic, you may want to go and see Mr Alvin ,Hp 96707204.I happened to discuss with him our e90 gearbox issues, he told me overhaul ard 4k plus.Maybe you can consult him.they only do auto transmission only so should be quite specialize.

hmm i see, i was wondering if i would change the Solenoid, would it solve my problems?

bro,u may go to other workshops to look for other opinions.2277, r2d or j4c.

hi ,
my 2005OCT e90 also having similar issue , cant engage gear , jerking
need to switch off and on again , sometime it work again
View attachment 48161
will show the RED gear sign with this ! inside it
sent to workshop , changed the Gearbox Solenoid and O2 sensors [ 2 infront ]
problem still the same
Workshop told me , I might need to replace the whole gearbox , cos my mileage is high around 210KM
any advise bros ?
thanks

210,000km milleage and if the gearbox had never been overhauled, then probably it's time liao ... too bad
i think new gearbox about $8k-$9k+ and recon/major gearbox overhaul about $4k-$5k

samler;965713 said:
hi ,
View attachment 48161
problem still the same
Workshop told me , I might need to replace the whole gearbox , cos my mileage is high around 210KM
any advise bros ?
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

rellik;965061 said:
Hi everyone, I'm new in this forum and would like some help and advise please. I own a E90 320 2006 Model, recently i've got this gearbox problem hence i went to a workshop to check, after they did a reset on the system the car went back to normal for about a week and the same problem came back again, the funny think is that everytime they do a reset the gearbox error sign goes off for a few days and comes back again. i got the reports saying shifting from 3rd gear to 4th gear problem, they says i may need to overhaul the gearbox. can you guys give me some advise or has anyone encounter this problem b4...i can even paddle hard on my car as it trips everytime i do it and after i restart the car its ok den after a few times the light stays on and i need to go to the work shop again....please help.... :(

we have 3 main components in the gear box as far as i know,
please correct me if i am wrong.

1. valve body / Mechatronics
292.png

2. soleniods
IMG_3462.jpg

IMG_4222_zpsb539c58f.jpg

3.clutch
224.png

based on what u described, i suspect it's the clutch plates, u need to do an over haul.
on 2nd thoughts, maybe just the mechatronic

Last edited by a moderator:

rellik;965307 said:
hmm i see, i was wondering if i would change the Solenoid, would it solve my problems?

no, u should only change what is really needed to replace. please seek advise from workshop.

samler;965713 said:
hi ,
View attachment 48161
problem still the same
any advise bros ?
thanks

to replace the whole gear box is a short cut to solve your problem.
just like asking you to replace car if there is a problem.
for ur case, i guess/believe just replace soleniod should be able to solve the problem PLUS reset the gear box
or the clutch system in worse case.
please seek other workshop advises

Aaron, can pm me where to get the solenoid and workshop? May need to do it

nicknags;965777 said:
Aaron, can pm me where to get the solenoid and workshop? May need to do it

ok,
PM u now

already replaced soleniod , O2 sensors and reset
same problem