Gearbox Changeout?

cheez

Hi,

Any E46 318 bros out there who experienced having their gearbox repaired/changeout? At wat mileage did you encounter the problem and wat's the $$$damage?

My ride's coming to 6 yrs, mileage hitting ~110,000km, currently deciding whether to keep or change my ride, heard that the gearbox is gonna be the most costly thing that's gonna have to be changed out so hope to get some info there to help me along in making that critical decision..

Thanks a bunch...

Re: Gearbox Changeout?

Hi Cheez,
I'm facing with making the same decision-making issue as you are: TO CHANGE OR NOT TO CHANGE.
MIne is a E46 318 ride (2001) .. has covered 168km !! So far, I have replaced radiator, air-con cooling coil and repaired the compressor clutch. All in all, my ride have served me well; but the thought of having to replace the gear-box has been bugging me...

Would appreciate if anyone out there has really gone through the process of gear-box change/repair and how much is the $$$$ damage ..

think it is about 6-7k for just the tranny alone... pml would be the best bet to get dealer pricing... trusty workshops can probably do it at a fraction of pml labour costs... parts pricing, maybe about the same...

If your ride has gone pass half its life, you might wanna consider recon gear box. which is abotu 4k including the swap. I got it done before at Mova.

I mean, if you ride is going to the yard in 4 years time, and you still intend to keep it till then, might as well put in something that will only last 4 years, possibly.

I have seen the recon sets, and boy... you can't tell it is recon!

Back