Gear shift difficult to engage 'D'

hamann

Re: Gear shift difficult to engage 'D'

bro,try change the gearbox oil...think it will be better,pml says lifetime for the gearbox oil..i think it all bullshit,maybe can add some gearbox additive plus gear oil and rear diff oil.i did mine and its so much smoother and better!! :thumbsup:

Sinner108 said:
Just on Sunday, my gear shift gave some problem and I had difficulty in engaging 'D'. It seems to be a mechanical problem (as in shifting mechanism is defective) and after pushing the shift stick slightly to the left while shifting the gears from P to D, it works. If I do it the normal way, without some pressure to the left, I just can't engage 'D'

Anyone have this problem before? Is there parts that I need to oil at the gear shift or make it 'smooth'?

My ride is a e39 2001 with steptronics.

Bro, sis pls give me your advise and comment. Is this a common problem in e39?

it's got nothing to do with tranny oil or anything.
it's just a misaligned clip or broken clip at your gear lever. open up your gear lever by removing the leather shoe. press inwards at the base of your leather gearstick shoe, to unclip the leather. lift it up. then remove the whole black plastic plate surround. you will then see clearly the gearknob mechanism underneath.
then with the key at the acc on mode, (you dont have to start your engine), try moving your gear from P to D and back up. And note any obstruction. Most likely it's a misaligned or broken white colour clip. have it replaced by PML under warrenty. be sure to do it ASAP coz you dont want to be in a situation where the clip totally obstructs your gearchange and your car gets stuck. And you have to remove everything when you're in a hurry to go somewhere.

for the moment, remember to press the gear a bit to the left to clear the obstruction when engaging D. You dont want to force it straight down and break the clip outright. hope i'm clear enough.

Bro

Thanks for the clarification. I think the situation is like what you described... ie. something's obstructing the gearchange and I can feel it. I am also quite sure its nothing to do with Tranny Oil as I just changed it last week at BVO. So shouldn't be.

Unless, someone's suggesting that changing Tranny Oil also can affect gear shift then I'll need to get back to BVO to ask them to fit it.

BTW, no more warranty already. Just expired.

Your description thou quite vivid, but I am bad at dismantling things, esp. mechanical staff, I might just cause more damage. Do you think someone like BVO can fit it? Is it Exp? How much roughly huh?

Racebred said:
it's just a misaligned clip or broken clip at your gear lever. open up your gear lever by removing the leather shoe. press inwards at the base of your leather gearstick shoe, to unclip the leather. lift it up. then remove the whole black plastic plate surround. you will then see clearly the gearknob mechanism underneath.
then with the key at the acc on mode, (you dont have to start your engine), try moving your gear from P to D and back up. And note any obstruction. Most likely it's a misaligned or broken white colour clip. have it replaced by PML under warrenty. be sure to do it ASAP coz you dont want to be in a situation where the clip totally obstructs your gearchange and your car gets stuck. And you have to remove everything when you're in a hurry to go somewhere.

for the moment, remember to press the gear a bit to the left to clear the obstruction when engaging D. You dont want to force it straight down and break the clip outright. hope i'm clear enough.

Racebred said:

Bro, I must say that u've got very good memory !!!!!!

So long liao u still can remember kekekek !

this is such a simple and straightforward 1 minute job i dont think you should be ethically charged for this by outside workshops. PML different lah, unless your CSA is willing to roll up his sleeves and do it for you on the spot in the carpark.

cost of the replacement white colour clip shouldnt cost more than the espresso in PML.

Racebred

Thanks for the advise. Today, Wilman2772 helped me with it and I think we got it fixed. Will have to test it out in the next couple of days to see if any problem. He's great man!

Racebred said:
this is such a simple and straightforward 1 minute job i dont think you should be ethically charged for this by outside workshops. PML different lah, unless your CSA is willing to roll up his sleeves and do it for you on the spot in the carpark.

cost of the replacement white colour clip shouldnt cost more than the espresso in PML.

Sinner108 said:
Racebred

Thanks for the advise. Today, Wilman2772 helped me with it and I think we got it fixed. Will have to test it out in the next couple of days to see if any problem. He's great man!

Bro, it's nothing lah.......just put alittle KY in tats all.....so smooth now.....

Let me know if U need more KY if U feel it's getting dry yah!!!

kekekekeke :roll:

Cheers!!

'The Great White'

Sinner108 said:
Just on Sunday, my gear shift gave some problem and I had difficulty in engaging 'D'. It seems to be a mechanical problem (as in shifting mechanism is defective) and after pushing the shift stick slightly to the left while shifting the gears from P to D, it works. If I do it the normal way, without some pressure to the left, I just can't engage 'D'

Anyone have this problem before? Is there parts that I need to oil at the gear shift or make it 'smooth'?

My ride is a e39 2001 with steptronics.

Bro, sis pls give me your advise and comment. Is this a common problem in e39?

Sinner, I also drive an e39. Yesterday, experienced the same damn problem in the middle of the car wash bay... first reaction is "WTF, tranny gone ah...." then shifted gear knob slightly to left and can enagage. Remembered thread on this and Wil the guru, so called him and brought some KY (heavy duty grease) down to his place for him to spread for me :thumbsup:

But apparently, the freeplay on the protrusion (that joins the "U" shape opening which would then allow the car to go into sports and steptronic mode) that I have is worse than yours and Wil had to improvise to wedge a laminated cardboard in between. Gear shift now ok but I need long term solution lah. As long as I know I am relying on a cardboard, no peace of mind.

Wil, help help ah. Racebred suggested that the white piece only cost an expresso... wld the workshop labour cost the machine to make the expresso boh?

Racebred, have you replaced the white thingey before. Where did u source the part and who replaced for u?

Many thanks.

it didnt happen to me, but one of the bros. this is a simple thing that can be settled easily by warrenty? jsut bring to PML, shouldnt be more than a 10min job?

Juz solved the problem. Brought to BVO and Ah Wee just bent the selector a bit. Took less than 3 mins all in. Now I happy as bird.

T6,

tweet tweet...good for u bro...dun wan these kind of problems when u are en route there to CH.

Eh, since u so close to me workplace...shld do lunch sometime :wavey:

So, the plan this Sat am is???

T6

Did the same thing as you.... bend the selector a bit to make sure its a long term solution. Now, shifting is smooth as silk and works like a charm. Bro Wil did it again for me after he did your at BVO. So I also happy like bird.

This thread was very helpful as the problem also happened to me today. Was told I need to change the the whole assembly for nearly $1K. Will try the DIY solution and see if it works. My ride is a E39 2001 model also so I am not sure if this is a typical problem.

BTW, I have found this forum very useful and my thanks to the contributors.

Update: The solution given by racebred did the trick. A small plastic washer was dislodged from the lever. Slide this back into place and gear shift work as good as new. I think I should get a replacement washer because I think this is suppose to wear down. Now if I can solve my washer problem.....

" Remembered thread on this and Wil the guru, so called him and brought some KY (heavy duty grease) down to his place for him to spread for me "

Hope you guys had fun!

End of OT.

$1k!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope it wasnt PML who quoted you this.

I had the same problem with my E39. PML quoted close to $1k too. Ended up bending the selector a little. Supposed to work until additional wear in the plastic parts make it impossible to bend any further. Wear is aggravated by constant use of Sport/Steptronic mode.

Back