Gb: Monster tuning box

benedictz

Guys I just contacted Monster Tune and they are offering a special group buy scheme for our F-series models, as i'll be leaving for thailand tomorrow, i'm aiming to close this GB when i get back that will be the 16th of September 2400hrs.
below are some details:

Piggyback tuning, does not alter ECU in any way. Can be installed and removed safely. Car reverts back to stock once removed.
Expect gains of around 20% above stock. Stays within safe limits of car's boost limiters. Car cuts fuel in event of over-boosting (built-in safety feature)
Can be custom-tuned to your preference, especially when installing aftermarket mods like intake and exhaust. Helps in eliminating flat spots due to RPM-specific boosting. Includes a handy potentiometer for on the road adjustments to power and fuel grades.
100% German made, TUV approved. OEM harness and connectors used. Weather proof construction.
Warranty:
3 years warranty on the product itself (not your car). Set will be sent back for repair or replacement at no charge.
Warranty will be voided if tuned or installed by other companies apart from Monster Tune LLP (please take note)

Available for these models / results after tuning:
116i Twinpower turbo: 155bhp, 265nm
118i Twinpower turbo: 195bhp, 320nm
2.0L Twinpower turbo N20: 230bhp, 340nm
2.8L Twinpower turbo N20: 290bhp, 450nm
3.0L Twinpower turbo N55: 380bhp, 460nm
3.0L Twin turbo N54: 380bhp, 460nm

Package includes:
One free dyno session at Monster Tune (new Mustang Chassis dyno) (available from late October to early November onwards)
2 free custom remaps within 60 days of installation. Subsequent remaps at S$100 each (for Monster Tune customers only)
Price:
S$1200 (Retail price)
S$1050 for 5 sets min
S$1000 for 10 sets min
These 10 sets can be any combination of F series models.
Deposit to confirm: 50% of total price (Please PM me for account details)
Closing date of GB (tentative): 5th Oct 2012
Ordering Lead time - 1 - 2 weeks from close of GB.
Collection and Installation:

176 Sin Ming Drive #02-12
Sin Ming Autocare
Singapore 575721

Buyer List

No. / Name / Nick / Car model / Engine
1.Benedictz

Re: Gb: Monster tuning box

Great job Ben! Maybe Singsider & Sunstorm can provide FR for everyone's benefit?

I'm on Monster already for 116i. Doing more tuning with them. Amazingly, you will heard more crisp sound of your engine in fact quieter. And for the same route and style u always drive, now you have to hold back your accelerator.

Shifts are sharp. I asked for more low end tuning.

I don't believe in the stats. Just drive it you will know the diff. Personally, i think its more than 155 but need to dyno to confirm.
130 km/h even before u know it.

At the risk of sounding silly, I'm really curious on how this stacks up against the Swiss chip tech.....

Gains are almost similar, difference lies in the price disparity...

sanguineleaf;888873 said:
At the risk of sounding silly, I'm really curious on how this stacks up against the Swiss chip tech.....

Gains are almost similar, difference lies in the price disparity...

just compare the hardware.

razorray;888877 said:
just compare the hardware.

The tuning support also plays a part. Every car is different, and mods also play a part, so in order to maximise the car's potential, you need to have dedicated tuners who will help tune the map based on the car's dyno performance.

Yes you're right that all tuning boxes work on the same principle of boost management, but which one provides good tuning support makes a key difference imho. And in order for tuning to be effective, and it should be rpm based, so that a boost map can be programmed to compensate for any flat spots or watch out for boost ceilings. So a box that reads rpm would be more effective overall than one that just reads the boost sensor signals.

i am keen to get it.

No. / Name / Nick / Car model / Engine
1.Benedictz
2. feynman82 118i F20

sunstorm;889367 said:
hehehe, advertise for my own thread. I updated the field report with dyno charts. These are no longer just promised figures. According to the first post, Benedictz is just holding it wrong, as Steve the man would have said.

His MT tune vs stock 118i dyno, for easy viewing. :)

View attachment 41169

Last edited by a moderator:

1.Benedictz
2. feynman82 118i F20
3. wickedfactory 118i F20
4. slow_poke_driver 520i f10 (if got 5 or more people buying...)

yeah, actually more of the 116i should be doing this. you will get very close to 118i, very safe. for me its more about the daily driving and simple overtaking.

I tried out the Monster Tuning box for a couple of days on my 118i and i will like to give my views. Surprisingly, the most drastic difference was felt in when I took out the tuning box instead of putting it in. I guess we all easily and unconsciously adapt very well to POWER but not so when it's taken away from us. haha. talk about downgrading. pui.

Ok, this is by no means a very technical, precise of scientific post. More of a qualitative type. I also need to stress that I keep my driving style as consistent as humanly possible, and I am very human. ha.

Impression of the box:
The box is slightly larger than a hand calculator, well made, and water proof. It comes with 3 connectors that reads HP, boost and manifold (dont ask me). Installation is easy and takes a little over 5 min, a totally plug and play x3 process. No error messages, no problems.

With MT.
The car will adapt to the tune gradually mine took about 2 days. In Eco Pro, well, it does feel more powerful, a lot more like the stock Comfort mode. I am no longer the laggard off the traffic light and changing lanes is no longer a flooring move. Well, it's definitely not a 1M but you get the drift. FC wise.. not much diff.

In Comfort mode is where I felt a very significant increase! It's like upgrading a Pentium 3 to a Pentium 4! Sorry, those born in the late 80s won't get this metaphor but most in this forum should get the "ah ha" recognition! During cruising, the car seems to slice through the wind! Response was excellent and felt like it was in sports mode. Ever experience those situation when you are in lane 1 and some taxi come speeding into you and gaining in the rear view mirror? Now all you have to do is just increase throttle by a tad and the taxi will be eating DUST! No more laggard responds, no need to floor the throttle like some racer. The flooring move only reserved when some GTR comes speeding along side you.

How about SPORTS? I didnt get to try cause by the time I get comfortable with COMFORT, it's time to remove it for servicing. Zzz.

Without the MT.
Alas, just 4 days into the enlightened experience, I had to remove the box cause I schedule a routine servicing. This gives me a chance to drive the stock car without all the extra power. Now, I got the 118 cause it promised extra power, extra speed.. but now driving the stock version makes me wonder how I was sold into buying such a unpowered car! In comfort mode, the car does have a significant turbo lag. Acceleration is no longer competition between the seat, your back and G force. In fact, it's like the car is trying to squeeze through butter! How about Eco Pro? Well i dont have to heart to switch to eco pro now that comfort mode makes me feel i am driving truck with 28 banglahs sitting at the back.

My observations:
Key on all your mind must be FC.. well. FC.. i think there's no much difference. Might be a tad better or worse but I cant really tell the difference over a short 4 days trial.

In the tuned mode, the same throttle will give the same RPM, but the torque kicks in much much earlier (as my rudimentary knowledge understanding allows it), thus giving the additional power. I was told the tune profile of the MT is to boost the lower end of the power curve, i.e. you get more kick at lower speed, which is what you need in the very fustrating, overly crowded, infested by crazy reckless cab/lorry/van/bus drivers called home.

One final word.

MTL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nice writeup Feynman82! Thanks for the info, more info is always good.

1.Benedictz
2. feynman82 118i F20
3. wickedfactory 118i F20
4. slow_poke_driver 520i f10 (if got 5 or more people buying...)
5. trekman 118i F20

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8may88vip
Back