Garmin GPS

Re: Garmin GPS

murphys33 said:
how much did u buy yr garmin for? i was just quoted a C320 for $500....but need to wait 3 weeks for delivery

Bro, $500? If confirmed, I also want. People like Chickenbackside all paid more than $1k. Check out all the past discussions on Garmin!

chickenbackside said:
I would advise people interested in buying the Nuvi buy one that is released for this market with official Garmin S'pore/M'sia maps. Although you can load maps from malsingmaps, the address search will not function.

I've tried loading the maps into my C320 and I can only get the device to navigate to my predefined POI's. If I wanna go to Orchard Road, I can't just type "Orchard Road" for it to bring me there, which renders the device pretty pointless from an automotive standpoint.

The Nuvi behaves exactly like that as they share the same operating software.

i have ordered and locked the price. shipping in 5 days.

i belive the op software is different. the latest firmware shows all.

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1529

chickenbackside said:
I would advise people interested in buying the Nuvi buy one that is released for this market with official Garmin S'pore/M'sia maps. Although you can load maps from malsingmaps, the address search will not function.

I've tried loading the maps into my C320 and I can only get the device to navigate to my predefined POI's. If I wanna go to Orchard Road, I can't just type "Orchard Road" for it to bring me there, which renders the device pretty pointless from an automotive standpoint.

The Nuvi behaves exactly like that as they share the same operating software.

check for your latest firmware, it may help you in address search as shown.

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=829

murphys33 said:
how much did u buy yr garmin for? i was just quoted a C320 for $500....but need to wait 3 weeks for delivery

See here:

http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/107495-post5.html

At $500, you should buy 10 and resell! But you gotta get the right maps for it to work here though...

chickenbackside said:
See here:

http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/107495-post5.html

At $500, you should buy 10 and resell! But you gotta get the right maps for it to work here though...

CBS,

I tried updating the latest version of software from C320 thru the Garmin official Webupdater site.

Guess what? Now I have only US cities time zone to select. The rest of the function seems o.k so far

So you have to be careful with updating latest software.

chickenbackside said:
Yup, I bought one with the official Garmin S'pore/M'sia maps.

Every function works, right down to the search by HDB block number.

CBS,

How do you seach the block number. I am trying to simulate. How do you search e.g. Blk 335 Ang Mo Kio Ave 8. I mean you key this in the address or in the spell name?

chickenbackside said:
Yup, latest firmware does not fix the compatibilty problems with malsingmaps.

As seen here:

http://www.malsingmaps.com/forum/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3189&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I hope you have better luck with your Nuvi! Please update us on the useability...

i hope so too! and will update.

i have read the thread for quite some time already.
i understand that Garmin has deliberately remove an indexing function in the later software whereas the older software allows malsingmaps.
technically, the malsingmaps does not have many address in it. Especialy HDB blocks, so, it is not so critical, only normal nav aids.

anyway, i will buy the mal sing maps from garmin and use for address search and detailed malsingmaps for POI.

murphys33 said:
the USD price is around $310... so i think around SGD 500 is believeable.

Yes that's true. However, you will have to buy the S'pore/M'sia maps in order for it to work over here. They cost US$249.99.

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/cityselectMalaysia.jsp

That's without the map upgrade certificate which entitles you to the next update for "free". To get the upgrade cert, you need to pay another $200 if you purchase it at a later time, according to the shop people that I bought my C320 from. Dunno how true, but that's what they told me.

The above map from Garmin has full coverage of S'pore and Johor. The next update (which is supposed to be "soon") will have full coverage of the whole of M'sia and updated S'pore maps.

So if you do a calculation, to get it to work locally, you will need to spend $500 + $394.75 + $200 = $1094.75 for the whole setup.

That's not far off from what you can get by just walking into Sim Lim to purchase.

But the great thing about it is it comes with the US maps which will be very useful when you travel there...

It's a great alternative plan. Defnitely feasible if you know for sure that the device will work in all contexts.

Yep - realise that the price excludes the maps.... in any case, I have just bot my Garmin Street Pilot C320 - great Singapore sale price is $850.

murphys33 said:
Yep - realise that the price excludes the maps.... in any case, I have just bot my Garmin Street Pilot C320 - great Singapore sale price is $850.

Bro, can elaborate where did u buy it from and does that price include maps? Tks.

T6 said:
Bro, can elaborate where did u buy it from and does that price include maps? Tks.

T6,

Was at Perfect Watch at Sim Lim Square. Price has dropped due to Nuvi. I think $850 include Sing/J.B maps.

asagi said:
T6,

Was at Perfect Watch at Sim Lim Square. Price has dropped due to Nuvi. I think $850 include Sing/J.B maps.

Wow, with maps! sounds good!

Was deciding between the Garmin setup and the new Dopod p100.

Difference is that the Dopod functions as a PDA as well and if I download VOIP, i can make use of its 3G connectivity and use it as a phone as well...

Question: should i get the Garmin or the Dopod??? thanks!

What happens when you want to get to somewhere you have no idea about and is totally relying on the Dopod for directions, and halfway through, you need to answer a call, or send an SMS, or check your date book...?

That's why although I could've bought a SIRF 3 bluetooth GPS receiver to work with my PDA phone, I still went for a standalone unit as it is totally independent...

Depends on how you see it really...

Back