Garmin GPS

Re: Garmin GPS

I didn't know there was a Nuvi 320 model.

Bloody hell, if it really does happen, I might just HAVE to get one!

asagi said:
I countercheck again today and was told the same. They have placed order since last Otocber and have no ideal when the Nuvi can arrive hear. Probably you might mix up the Nuvi with the C320??

Ok, I checked. The story tallies. Basically they have ordered something like 5 units of Nuvi, they do not know when it would arrives and what they do know is that it will be with the Singapore map.

Also, I need to make a correction of what I said about text-to-speech feature of Nuvi. I went back to Garmin website and checked that all models except Nuvi 300 supports TTS.

Not all lost, matter of time the Nuvi will arrives here.

KT,

please put me in the group buy if there is one for Nuvi320. i am sure it is good stuff!
my boss got the Nuvi 350 from USA and it works like charm.
he is going to USA tonight and i will put my purchase on hold for the Nuvi 350.

lmk

lmk, to be honest, I would go for the US model, alas the Nuvi 360.

The reason is simple, the US model comes with whole of US maps, and those are expensive if you buy them without a GPS.

I go to US for work and that is more important to me. For local use, Sg+My maps from malsingmaps works in Nuvi, so, 2 birds in one stone.

Of course, there are people who worry about product warranty, so, depends on one's risk profile. :p

made sense....i shall wait then. 360 is good when i go to the USA with hands free bluetooth. Hopefully by Jun (claimed by Garmin) it will be out.

Who is Ah wee and how can i contact him? Am thinking of setting up a GPS in my car too. thanks

chickenbackside said:
Hi guys.

I wasn't happy about some things about the Garmin setup.

1) The charging/power cable running from the cigarette lighter to the device is too ugly to look at on a daily basis

2) I can't charge my phone or do anything with the 12v socket when I'm using the device. I want the socket to be free

3) When I pull the key out, current is still being drawn to charge the device and it forces me to dismount it even if I don't feel like it

So, off I went to Ah Wee and asked him to fix it for me. "No problem!" he said.

Here's the process:

Cut the damn thing

Cut.jpg

Extend the cable

Extend.jpg

Fused for safety

Fused.jpg

Tapping power from somewhere down there

Dismantling.jpg

Running the wire under A pillar trim. Good view of the curtain bags at the same time

HidingWire.jpg

Done! The result:

Result1.jpg

Result3.jpg

Result2.jpg

Result4.jpg

Much much better.

No more ugly wire, 12v socket is free for other use, power is cut when I switch off the engine.

Now I can sleep peacefully...

Well, not really, cos my Vorsteiner bonnet is in Singapore already but stuck at customs. I'll update on that once that is done...

Ah Wee is the chief mechanic at BVO, an external workshop that does alot of BMWs. They do not sell GPS. They can do the wiring as discussed in the above thread, For the address of BVO, pls check out the Resource folder at the top right hand corner of this forum page.

Hi CBS,

I finally decided on where to permanently place my C320. For me, it will be sticking it just above the right side of front wind screen (just above the electronci card holder). It offer perfect view and my hand can rest on the steering wheel while keying information in the Garmin.

Could you kindly advise how much you pay BVO to run the cable and how long it takes?

Thank you in advance

Happened to be at SLS this afternoon and got a chance to play with the Nuvi 300 at Perfect Watch. Very nice unit, this is the first time I see the gadget in person. The shop is asking for $1512 after 10% discount because of GSS. It comes with UK and Singapore/JB maps, stored in SD card.

Tried with an address search, it works nicely. Also, Nuvi 300 as expected does not speak the road name though there are rumours that there may be firmware upgrade to enable that (cannot confirm though).

Just to note, Amazon has dropped the price for Nuvi 350 in the US to US$670, my personal opinion is that this price drop is in anticipation of the introduction of Nuvi 360 in early June. Based on this price, there is price gap of about S$1512 - (US$670 x 1.7 = $1139) = S$373 to buy the Singapore/JB map and 1 year local warranty .. you decide if that is worth it. :)

Ah wee is being soughted after by Alpina tuning factory in Buchloe for his expertise. But he turned it down because he wants to remain loyal to his Singapore Fans...

Hee

BZSAB said:
Understand nuvi 300 TTS is available as updates. http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1171

Actually a bit confused, Text-to-Speech means the GPS can talk right? But it does not necessarily means it will say out the road names.

Like my Garmin Que running on PDA, it will talk but cannot say "Turn right at Orchard Road"

In any case, surf around the web, saw that Expansys is selling Nuvi 310 at $929, very good value I would say.

Check it out here http://www.expansys.com.sg/product.asp?code=135402

damn good price man...buy buy buy!

also, technically, text to speech means not only talk, it translate the road names into speech.
Most, if not all garmin gps can talk one! but no tts. it is different bro.

i ordered mine liao.

lmk said:
damn good price man...buy buy buy!

also, technically, text to speech means not only talk, it translate the road names into speech.
Most, if not all garmin gps can talk one! but no tts.

Ok cool, lean something new today.

on the pricing of Nuvi 310 in expansys, I noticed that the Quest is asking for $1200+, now that is crazy as I got one from US for US$350 previously. So, perhaps a pricing error on the 310, if interested, lock in the price so they have to honour the transaction :)

I would advise people interested in buying the Nuvi buy one that is released for this market with official Garmin S'pore/M'sia maps. Although you can load maps from malsingmaps, the address search will not function.

I've tried loading the maps into my C320 and I can only get the device to navigate to my predefined POI's. If I wanna go to Orchard Road, I can't just type "Orchard Road" for it to bring me there, which renders the device pretty pointless from an automotive standpoint.

The Nuvi behaves exactly like that as they share the same operating software.

hmm... are there actually GPS units released with official SG/MY maps?

how much did u buy yr garmin for? i was just quoted a C320 for $500....but need to wait 3 weeks for delivery

Back