Fluttering sound from aircon when steering wheel turn left

icta

Hi,

Anyone has this problem before? Am driving a 06 E60.

I notice after about 20 min of driving, there will be a fluttering sound from the aircon when I turn the steering wheel left. I kinda of managed to narrow the problem to the aircon as the sound disappear when I turn off the aircon.

And yes, its only when I do a left turn. Right turn is fine! :huhhuh:

The sound is like if you can imagine, a fan blade flapping across a piece of paper.

Any similar experience or guess what it could be??

Re: Fluttering sound from aircon when steering wheel turn left

i had the same problem.. audio shop told me its the sound of the clip in the air-con dash compartment. couldnt rectify that though..
on a sidenote, any bros know of good workshops to solve all these sound problems beside PML?
i dread their waiting time

Got that last time - WS hoist the car up and looked at the wheels turn. found out when I turned right one of the joints would hit the board below.

took that board off and whacked it with a mallet. shape changed. no more noise.

icta;932377 said:
Hi,

I notice after about 20 min of driving, there will be a fluttering sound from the aircon when I turn the steering wheel left. I kinda of managed to narrow the problem to the aircon as the sound disappear when I turn off the aircon.

The sound is like if you can imagine, a fan blade flapping across a piece of paper.

Red Bean Bun, in your case, when you turn off the aircon, does the problem goes away? For mine, pretty sure its aircon related cause like i say, the fluttering stop immediately when I turn off the aircon. So not sure if its the same problem as yours?

If it only happens when the car is in motion (G forces)
I think your drain pipe on the left may be blocked.
A shallow collection of water from the aircond under the blower (fan) motor slushes around when you turn left, cuz the water level increases with the Gforce, When you turn right, no noise maybe the water is dispersed better - drain pipe is not as blocked. Send it in to Motorair at Sin Ming and have it blown out. Better still, have the blower motor replaced. I had mine done there. Had a shock when they opened it up, the old blower motor was rusty and there was goo like jelly all around - blocking the drain pipes and stank like stagnant water. Had them cleaned and blown. No more smell.

If it only happens when the car is in motion (G forces)?
A shallow collection of water from the aircond under the blower (fan) motor slushes up towards the fan when you turn left, cuz the water level increases with the Gforce. When you turn right, no noise maybe the water is dispersed better - the right drain pipe is not as blocked? Send it in to Moto-Aire at Sin Ming and have it blown out. Better still, have the blower motor replaced. I had mine done there. Had a shock when they opened it up, the old blower motor was rusty and there was goo like jelly all around - blocking the drain pipes and stank like stagnant water. Had them cleaned and blown. No more smell. No more noise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Philster;934848 said:
A shallow collection of water from the aircond under the blower (fan) motor slushes up towards the fan when you turn left, cuz the water level increases with the Gforce, When you turn right, no noise maybe the water is dispersed better - the right drain pipe is not as blocked? Send it in to Motorair at Sin Ming and have it blown out. Better still, have the blower motor replaced. I had mine done there. Had a shock when they opened it up, the old blower motor was rusty and there was goo like jelly all around - blocking the drain pipes and stank like stagnant water. Had them cleaned and blown. No more smell. No more noise.

Your description sounds just like mine!
Will go check it out and let you know. How much is the $$ damage?

Thanks

Hi icta

Finally found the pics of my old blower motor replacement.
I've posted them up in my album as requested via pm.

Did u managed to get it resolved in the end?

Philster;934848 said:
A shallow collection of water from the aircond under the blower (fan) motor slushes up towards the fan when you turn left, cuz the water level increases with the Gforce. When you turn right, no noise maybe the water is dispersed better - the right drain pipe is not as blocked? Send it in to Moto-Aire at Sin Ming and have it blown out. Better still, have the blower motor replaced. I had mine done there. Had a shock when they opened it up, the old blower motor was rusty and there was goo like jelly all around - blocking the drain pipes and stank like stagnant water. Had them cleaned and blown. No more smell. No more noise.

Bro Philster,

Thanks for the info & recommendation. Can pm me damage too? Had this problem too, car is now in PML cos under last bit of warranty. Need to know the price in case it comes back again.

Philster;934848 said:

Please pm me the cost of the repair. I also have this mysterious sound that appear lately when i make a turn especially going on the incline. My blower motor is gone as well sounds like there is a bird in the car . Tks.

Thanks bro Philster. How do i see the pics?
Yet to sort out, been too busy and learning to live with the problem for the time being.

icta;946724 said:
Thanks bro Philster. How do i see the pics?
Yet to sort out, been too busy and learning to live with the problem for the time being.

just click on my profile (view profile) and scroll :)

Bro Philster,

Could you PM $ to repair fluttering sound. thanks.

Hi, I have the same problem as well. Can you pm me the damage and contact details? Thanks in advance.

Hi there. Current ride tio this problem. Kind to share the details to me, as well? Appreciated!

woner;1109693 said:
Hi there. Current ride tio this problem. Kind to share the details to me, as well? Appreciated!

i went to motoaire and found that the aircond drip pipes were blocked and a disgusting jelly like ooze has collected in the blower section. so the blower motor would hit the water when you break or turn hard resulting in the fluttering noise. I had the blower motor replaced and the gunk removed, friggin skinko. Paid $500 for the whole job so that I could cut queue. Else the would have been cheaper but not sure how much cheaper.

they did an excellent job. No problem till now and its been over 4 years.

Phil

Wow, thanks alot Phil.
Needed that as the 'music' is getting more and more regular nowadays. Not too sure on whether coincides with the weather currently.
Thanks again!

Philster;1109762 said:
i went to motoaire and found that the aircond drip pipes were blocked and a disgusting jelly like ooze has collected in the blower section. so the blower motor would hit the water when you break or turn hard resulting in the fluttering noise. I had the blower motor replaced and the gunk removed, friggin skinko. Paid $500 for the whole job so that I could cut queue. Else the would have been cheaper but not sure how much cheaper.

they did an excellent job. No problem till now and its been over 4 years.

Phil

Thanks to Phil's recommendation, did the clearance of blockage at MOTOAIRE. No more waterfall sound from the air con and compartments dry now. :thumbsup:
Had to open up the central console for full access to the pipe and water tray to clear it completely

Hopefully the waterfall will not revisit. Also Chuan shifu mentioned that our air con is not controlled via thermostat, and via dunno what flap and hot air combination, recommended to set temperature as low as possible. He also mentioned each Bimmer model has its own sets of issue. Some is compressor, some is coil issue, some is blower. Really Bring.More.Worries.

Total damage : $180. :D Great job CHUAN and MOTORAIRE.

icta;932377 said:
Hi,

My 2008 523i had this whizzing sound (sound something like the tiny fan on the CPU generating the whizzing/buzzing sound) from the air con as well. Its coming out from the center air con vent. Turned of the air con, the noise goes away. Had the blower changed, but the whizzing noise still come back.
Read a BMW UK forum from a 530 owner, he narrowed the problem to a faulty auxilliary water pump.
Anyone can give some advise. Worst case would be to head to PML to have it resolved.
Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawnloh1221
Back