F10 N52 B25 523i RPM Hunting/Fluctiating on Cold Start

Re: F10 N52 B25 523i RPM Hunting/Fluctiating on Cold Start

douggie;844104 said:
Did you ask them directly to do the update or did you mention about the problem and they updated it? My next servicing is coming soon and I would like to get it updated.

Yes, I told them about my problem, heard about the software and I asked them to do the upgrading.
Prepare to down your car for two day, you can only collect your car the next day afternoon.

MeToo;844149 said:
Yes, I told them about my problem, heard about the software and I asked them to do the upgrading.
Prepare to down your car for two day, you can only collect your car the next day afternoon.

Thanks for sharing. Hope they will update mine.

desertfox65;843522 said:
It is normal that RPM is higher at a cold start. It should not fluctuate though. it will come down and settle to its normal idling revs after short while. There is absolutely no logic in letting the car warm up, just drive off and keep slow speed for a minute or so . do not rev engine beyond 2000 rpm. Lubrication of the engine isn't any better at idling than driving off a low speeds.

I agree but unfortunately Singapore is not like US or Europe where you leave your home and traffic is usually light until you hit city area. If you drive slow slow once you hit the road here, sure kena horn like crazy so you got no choice but to rev up and move along.

desertfox65;843522 said:
It is normal that RPM is higher at a cold start. It should not fluctuate though. it will come down and settle to its normal idling revs after short while. There is absolutely no logic in letting the car warm up, just drive off and keep slow speed for a minute or so . do not rev engine beyond 2000 rpm. Lubrication of the engine isn't any better at idling than driving off a low speeds.

Yup - Cold Start mode it's called.

You can reach about 80km/h under 2000 rpm, so I do not think if you drive you will get honked at. Frankly 25 dec C a 0 weight oil will circulate pretty quickly

F10 just 3 years old...kena serious engine oil sludge...BMW workshop recommend engine replaced. Any other recommendations to advoid engine replacement?

Andrew Yeo;1012744 said:
F10 just 3 years old...kena serious engine oil sludge...BMW workshop recommend engine replaced. Any other recommendations to advoid engine replacement?

3 yrs old and need engine replacement? What u mean by engine oil sludge?

U never change oil issit? How it degenerate into sludge?

has the workshop tried port n polish? This is like engine overhaul, clean inside out. Engine replacement is very drastic.

Go visit R2D for another opinion. Rodney has experience with severe oil sludging

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew Yeo;1012744 said:

Engine replacement sounds serious, but to change engine because of sludge?! I would recommend you seek a second opinion. My agent workshop troubleshooted my engine without avail for 2 weeks. Recommended rubbish options that cost money and didn't work. Rod solved it in 3 hours and found that the car was alright but the problem was the workshop poor handiwork. Up to you, but I learnt it the hard way. Hope your problem is not as serious as the workshop said.

Back