Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups

Engine coolant water topup

Re: Engine coolant water topup

Nattsg;1047865 said:
While monitoring what I wanna check with u guys is it normal 4-5 weeks we need to top up coolant

Not for me.......I top up every 6 months. Half a small bottle of NTUC distilled water.

But if it's already full of tap water then the distilled water thing does not matter when topping up.

Check cooling system for leak first. Actually adding water is something I do check every month and top up when necessary due to evaporation. Maybe there's no leak but you just did not top up for too long?
No need to add coolant as I do flash my cooling system once every 2 or 3 years, recommended.

Day 4 and been monitoring the level before I drive off in the am. So far so good level stays and no leakage. I guess the last servicing the mech just check ensure level is enuff but didn't top up to the max for me and recent weather has been hot on the day. Will monitor somemore and get the habit to check constantly.

Prevly on Jap cars never tot of it too much cuz they seldom have this issue but BMW can be so hot after drive.

Ouch I spoke too soon. Checked today the float dropped to min instead of max ytd... no leakage so Wat could be the cause?

Hi Nattsg, now you have to check hoses and radiator. If radiator leaking get replacement plenty outside cheaper than agent.

It may be some hose need to replace, i had this proble couple of months ago, got 2 hoses replaced and problem solved. You will not see leak sometimes as it just evaporated due to the coolant is like boiling water with steam...

monitoring it still, early in the morning the stick still roughly ard the level i last topped up

none. Im now at garage, opened up and mech says behind some part the hose and cap leaking, replacing.

Same time while checking discovered my hydraulics for the front wheels leaking no wonder when ever i go over humps recently can feel it and some groaning sounds.

Since detected, changing all that we can find for a piece of mind.

Like some posters here, coolant the water leak evaporate fast, cannot see leaks on floor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi, my 316i is only 3 weeks old, and the warning on the coolant water already lighted up. Is this normal at all?

dkws;1064366 said:
Hi, my 316i is only 3 weeks old, and the warning on the coolant water already lighted up. Is this normal at all?
Did you check water level when u take delivery?

dkws;1064366 said:

You mean 3 weeks from brand new, or 3 weeks from secondhand dealer?

no, i didn't. shouldn't the car be checked prior handed over to new owner? sorry, being a noob here.

Pop the bonnet and open the coolant reservoir cap and see how is it .......

Wait for the car to cool down first ....

Coincidentally, my friend is having the same issue with her 3 week old 316 as well. Just sent back to pml a few hours back... don't know what the diagnosis is yet.

Red_Bean_Bun;1064394 said:
Pop the bonnet and open the coolant reservoir cap and see how is it .......

Wait for the car to cool down first ....

Yes please note RBB's warning - wait for car to cool down, preferably 1-2 hours!! HOT!

3 weeks old brand new from PML. The coolant reservoir was almost empty when checked. Already topped up with water to max on my own. My question is, this is a brand new car, how could the coolant dry up so fast? I'm sure PML would hv checked and made sure everything was topped up prior handed over to customer. I already sent the car in this morning, but the test report showed ok. Should I allow them to brush me off by telling me this is normal?

Back