Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups

E90 Stalling with No Fault Codes Thrown

Re: E90 Stalling with No Fault Codes Thrown

Bro 1km , any updates on your car stalling issues?

Not yet.... no time to go do proper troubleshooting yet leh.... Will definitely update the forum here.

Zincman;1028130 said:
Bro 1km , any updates on your car stalling issues?

Thanks for the note. I've ever changed my valvetronic motor before and I recall the mechanic ever meddled with the said settings.

Just went to the workshop today in attempt to troubleshoot the issue. As luck would have it, my E90 was completely stable when I was at the workshop. Idled for more than 30mins with no stalling at all! Sigh!

In any case, I asked that the adaptation value for the valvetronic motor minimum lift to be rest to 0.3mm - it was previously set to 0.8mm. I keeping my fingers crossed and hopefully this solves my stalling issue too.

Will update all again in due time!

_InDiGo-;1026940 said:
Dear all, I have the same issues before.

Apparently I did a software change for the valvetronic to be set to 0.3mm or something. And the car did not stall anymore.

After which when I service my car at another workshop, I asked the tech how I could improve my pickup. He simply changed the software settings to 0.80mm for the valvetronic.

After which my car had the same problem of engine stall. Hence I suspect very greatly it was the settings issue and went to the workshop to reset it back to 0.30mm.

Problem was solved. Car no longers stall. Worth a try

Hope you nail the gremlin bro lkm!

The valvetronic min lift could be the most likely suspect as my stalling was fixed with change of the valvetronic motor. .

How come cannot set to something between 0.3 and 0.5 ?

lkm;1035353 said:
Thanks for the note. I've ever changed my valvetronic motor before and I recall the mechanic ever meddled with the said settings.

Just went to the workshop today in attempt to troubleshoot the issue. As luck would have it, my E90 was completely stable when I was at the workshop. Idled for more than 30mins with no stalling at all! Sigh!

In any case, I asked that the adaptation value for the valvetronic motor minimum lift to be rest to 0.3mm - it was previously set to 0.8mm. I keeping my fingers crossed and hopefully this solves my stalling issue too.

Red_Bean_Bun;1035369 said:
How come cannot set to something between 0.3 and 0.5 ?

I don't know about other systems, but my mech was using the Autologic setup. Autologic only allows one of the two settings - 0.30mm and 0.80mm.

Whooopieeee! It's been more than 1 month since changing the valve lift value and my E90 has not stalled ever since!! I think it's really the valve lift value.... Hopefully it stays this way!!

lkm;1035353 said:

Keep us posted. Learn much from all the sharing.
I use PML all the time except for big ticket items like GB. They actually get BMW German technicians on difficult issues, and sometimes i get away with free jobs. Engine issues i have yet to find a tested WS. Do let me know.

Close to 3 months and the stalling never came back!!! Guess i nabbed the gremlin at last! Muhahahahah!!

lkm;1054949 said:
Close to 3 months and the stalling never came back!!! Guess i nabbed the gremlin at last! Muhahahahah!!

Congrats...!!!

good to know :thumbsup:
the stalling is sibei mafan and piss-off
no fault codes and can be due to many causes
now at least 1-thing can try to see whether it resolve the problem ... :D

Last edited by a moderator:

lkm;1054949 said:

Curious - The lift set at 0.3mm got affect performance ?

Red_Bean_Bun;1054956 said:
Curious - The lift set at 0.3mm got affect performance ?

Honestly, I didn't really feel any difference between 0.8mm and 0.3mm myself. But I'm happy that the stalling never came back since. The original setting was 0.3mm anyway. So I guess original BMW setting won't be that bad bah....

Hi Bros..

Just wondering what is this valvetronic.... I have mine set to 0.8 when I upgrade the car software /firmware in MY work shop... it feel better in pickup better feel in driving !

After driving for a few months ... I when back to set to 0.3 (default value) to try for fun.... immediately I find it not very present .. sluggish in moving off.. I got it set back to 0.8

May I know what this valvetronic does can it be set higher for better sprint ??

lkm;1054949 said:

I just got a 320i 06. After a few days of driving the engine stall problem came. Maybe that's the real reason the pervious owner sell it. May I know where can I change the setting to 0.3mm?

Xiao bai;1095006 said:
I just got a 320i 06. After a few days of driving the engine stall problem came. Maybe that's the real reason the pervious owner sell it. May I know where can I change the setting to 0.3mm?

Nice meeting you bro......

I must say I had one of my best experience yesterday. Also I am very glad that I had made the right choice, choosing Codewerx to safe my ride. They are very professional, very passionate and the most of all very humble. Will surely return next month when their new workshop open to so wear n tear replacement. Thanks guys:)

Pi
lkm;1025114 said:
Damn sian.... I've been having a stalling issue for awhile now. This happens only at idle and when then engine is warmed. Hasn't happened to me when engine is cold. I've had a couple of times it stalled on me at traffic lights and worse - when i was in a multi-storey carpark waiting in line on a slope. The brakes would suddenly turn hard and power steering lost when engine stalls.

Had the MAF sensor and idle control valve cleaned twice already. Also, poured in 2 bottles of Redline Fuel System Cleaner before.

Most irritating part is that no fault codes were flagged up. The check engine light was never illuminated. On occasions where I was waiting at a carpark, gear in neutral, waiting for wife, and when the car suddenly shudders and RPM drop, sometimes a step on the accelerator pedal will bring the car back to life. Else if I hit the accelerator too late, the engine just stalls...

Heeeelp!

Damn sian. =(

HELP!!
My car is now stuck in the carpark. Can crank but cannot fire up.
Just went up north today to change O2 sensor because sometimes it takes about 5 seconds to crank and fire up.
After changing O2 sensor, while driving, the accelerator at one point was not responding when driving at about 40kmh.
When came back to my MSCP, going up slope was jerky. Reached deck 4, while trying to reverse to park, it stalled. Attempted many
Times to start, got cranking but cannot start. Brake cannot depressed(hard), no power steering, and most of all NO FAULT CODE.
Please help... thank you

Battery issue ?

Back