E90 engine oil leak experience

Re: E90 engine oil leak experience

Bro, did you manage to get your creaking suspension fixed too??

propertyhans;876446 said:
Not sure if it's top overhaul...guess mine was leaking quite bad with visible oil stains at top, front and bottom. But strangely it isnt eating engine oil, as in computer did not prompt to top up. Radiator hose also have visible signs of wear and tear. All the mechanics in sg workshops i brought to only popped the hood and started to shake their head and told me its big problem. So here comes francis in jb, who inspected with whole car jacked up, went underneath, shine with torchlight everywhere, removed some parts that blocked his view and diagnosed that dont need to change everything first to save cost. He showed me where the source of leakage and I just went along with his advice coz seriously unless u r a trained mechanic, u have to LL follow what they say. Maybe sg workshop just want to play save...maybe jb give lousy parts that's why cheaper? I will nv know. Just monitor and see.

please also pm me the permas workshop, thanks

Hi Pple,

Mind sending me the permas address and contact, till now I still can't solve my engine oil leakage.

Changed oil sump gasket, replaced the flywheel seal and repaired the oil pump and there is still leakage.

Any kind souls?

Any kind soul can pm me the job workshop address to fix the oil leak problem?

Dear all, I am currently in the midst of shortlisting and buying a 2005 320i. Can anyone please advise me on some important checklist items before confirming the ride? Please also advise on what are the most common issues with this model when it is more than 6 years old. Thanks

gearbox issue and oil leak

Don't expect a 6-year-old car to be maintenance-free hor.... I'll add to the list:

1) Gearbox issue
2) oil leaks
3) valvetronic motor
4) aircon condenser leak

S2k;887476 said:
gearbox issue and oil leak

Hi S2K, thanks for your valuable feedback. Pls advise then how do i check for the issues in consideration that it can't be find out thru naked eyes. Thka

lkm;887479 said:
Don't expect a 6-year-old car to be maintenance-free hor.... I'll add to the list:

1) Gearbox issue
2) oil leaks
3) valvetronic motor
4) aircon condenser leak

Hi 1KM, thks! Will PML be able to check for all the above?

They can check.... But at this age, things start to fail. An "OK" report does not in any way guarantee that nothing will break down over the, say, next 6 months! Sometimes, when things fail, they just fail.... haha...

But that said, don't let that affect your enjoyment of the ride! Just accept that you will have to spend $$$ and time fixing some small issues. Generally, nothing really huge that you should worry about - apart from gearbox and engine issues.... =)

Oil leaks can be spotted with a visual inspection. Look around the engine bay with a powerful flashlight. If you see oil stains, it's a sign of leaks. Depending on where the leak is from, it may be easy to rectify. I don't believe any 6yr-old e90's which has not have any parts replaced would not have an oil leak.

Gearbox issues can probably be tested with a test drive. Do the gears change smoothly? And "clunking" feeling as the gears shift? And the infamous "jerk before just coming to a stop issue" is rather common on e90's too...

If unsure, pay a mechanic to accompany you to do inspection. He will be able to advise you better. BTW, the STA report - while generally good, don't mean too much. It doesn't delve deep enough to uncover e90-specific issues.

And most importantly, enjoy your buying process!! Welcome to the e90 club!! =)

Dessy Mondo;887485 said:
Hi S2K, thanks for your valuable feedback. Pls advise then how do i check for the issues in consideration that it can't be find out thru naked eyes. Thka

Alternatively, for a peace of mind, you can send it to Munich Automobiles to do a one time health check. It costs around S$187 bucks but it is damn detailed and tells u what needs to be replaced urgently or if there are leakages.

lkm;887647 said:
Oil leaks can be spotted with a visual inspection. Look around the engine bay with a powerful flashlight. If you see oil stains, it's a sign of leaks. Depending on where the leak is from, it may be easy to rectify. I don't believe any 6yr-old e90's which has not have any parts replaced would not have an oil leak.

Gearbox issues can probably be tested with a test drive. Do the gears change smoothly? And "clunking" feeling as the gears shift? And the infamous "jerk before just coming to a stop issue" is rather common on e90's too...

If unsure, pay a mechanic to accompany you to do inspection. He will be able to advise you better. BTW, the STA report - while generally good, don't mean too much. It doesn't delve deep enough to uncover e90-specific issues.

And most importantly, enjoy your buying process!! Welcome to the e90 club!! =)

Thanks 1KM!
I feel so welcome already though you were currently the only replying in the forum. Anyway do you think I can seek your assistance to test drive and check the car with me. If you are willing, pls SMS me at 97473434. Thks

Anyone planning to head north ? maybe we can go together! please pm me.

Thanks

Dude,

Wanna buy my ride? 2007 320i with lots of parts changed and repaired. The only thing is I dont understand why my engine drinks about 1L of oil every 3000km now.....

Dessy Mondo;887468 said:
Dear all, I am currently in the midst of shortlisting and buying a 2005 320i. Can anyone please advise me on some important checklist items before confirming the ride? Please also advise on what are the most common issues with this model when it is more than 6 years old. Thanks

Actually this oil leak problem is common.... I ensured that every part has been replaced to solve the leak issue... now finally no leak... but don't understand why every 3000km the warning light for low engine oil level comes out. Then got to top up 1L of oil... Where did that 1L of oil goes to........?????

I would like to share my oil leak experience on my E90 here too.

After a main service by the authorised agent, I was told that there is an evidence of engine oil leak. They estimated around 2k SGD to fix. I thought it was expensive and I should get a second opinion. So I went to a sponsored workshop and got the work done for around 1.5k. But they said there is a little bit of leak from the gearbox as well. The whole cooling system also needs replacing. It would cost me a further 2.5k to fix. I was at this point very frustrated. Decided not to have the work done and monitor for a week. Noticed some coolant leaking and went to a recommended workshop from another site. This time, they think there is an internal leaking and want to take the top part of engine apart to fix. That would cost 2k+ and also oil leak from the gearbox. I was not convinced so I checked out some reviews about workshops in JB.

Thanks to this forum, I went to find Two-B in JB. Mr Koh could tell very quickly that the problem with the cooling system is due to high running temperature. This is most likely caused by a faulty thermostat (and he was right). He fixed my gearbox leak too. All for less than 200 SGD.

I am not sure if 'the changing of all the parts even though they are not broken' policy leads to the lack of expertise in servicing the cars properly. I understand that SG workshop has higher cost but I don't feel they can diagnose the problem properly. This is what I find most frustrating. From now on, I will make an hour journey to JB to service my E90.

wprom;889355 said:
I would like to share my oil leak experience on my E90 here too.

Thanks for sharing. It's really frustrating these days as we lack the experienced mechanics here but hearing all these oil leaks on a

Back