e90 323 whining sound between 70km/h to 85km/h?

Re: e90 323 whining sound between 70km/h to 85km/h?

Tel : + (65) 6319-0100
Fax: + (65) 6474-7770

just to share my experience, went down this morning wanting to resolve the problem. well, went for a short test drive (less than 4km) with one supervisor and sound was audible. in his words, "on a scale of 10, i rate yours 9. let me check the stock to see if we could get it fix today". alas, no luck...order will take about 2 weeks...sigh

finally got it fix today after a month's delay due stock out. but i must say the wait was worth it, peace finally :) somehow, the change also got rid of some sounds and jerkiness (well almost, definitely smoother than before) when braking too.

It happens to both my E90 320i and my X5.

whenever I throttle, there is a whining sound at the front left. comes in as early as 3000rpm.
On the X5 it sounds like the fuel like is vibrating as the engine revs climb. On the E90 its across the whole band.
Sounds like a BOV that doesn't run out of pressure... :laughlik:

interesting... i posted in another thread that i have this whining sound that is most audible at 40kmph. pml called today to say i need to come in for min one day to change.... yup u guessed it, the FINAL DRIVE! to think that this thread is like 2 years old and the problem still exists? :furious:

arowana1;368674 said:
interesting... i posted in another thread that i have this whining sound that is most audible at 40kmph. pml called today to say i need to come in for min one day to change.... yup u guessed it, the FINAL DRIVE! to think that this thread is like 2 years old and the problem still exists? :furious:

Bro, is this a one to one replacement part under the warranty? In Alexandra Rd workshop?

318 NewBoy;368680 said:
Bro, is this a one to one replacement part under the warranty? In Alexandra Rd workshop?

my ride 2+ weeks old nia. dats why im furious that such issues still exist despite it being known as far back as 2 years ago. to change at kg arang.

I too got the same final drive problem. after much time wasting finally got it replaced. I just wonder how the final drive can get faulty when the car is still so new. This has got to be reflected back to BMWasia somehow. This is just so shitty. and now my car is back in workshop at KA why>?? auxillary fan faulty....sian...waste my time

jeng;370422 said:
I too got the same final drive problem. after much time wasting finally got it replaced. I just wonder how the final drive can get faulty when the car is still so new. This has got to be reflected back to BMWasia somehow. This is just so shitty. and now my car is back in workshop at KA why>?? auxillary fan faulty....sian...waste my time

collected my car after 1.5 days at kg arang for final drive replacement. initial feel is all the sound is gone, including those high pitches ones that they claimed is normal gear and engine. now is so quiet, the creaks are obvious :furious: oh well, cant win them all

hopefully the ride stays problem free from now on.

dunno le i also got the replacement for final drive. something still sounds wierd but not as horrible as the whining.

do u go for the meetups? wanna meet up next upcmomning meeting?

I am currently driving a 523 about 3 months old, i also experience the whining noise whenever i step on the accelerator around the 80km/hr mark, anyone have any idea of solving this problem?

Hi Guys,

Based on this thread, can i confirm that all whining sounds whether from front or back are actually rectified by replacement of the rear diffrential/final drive?

Coz i'm beginning to experience the same kinda whining sound coming from the front, and its at low speeds when i step off the accelerator and when i depress the accelerator as well. Previously, no whining sounds, but it's becoming more audible as the days go by.

Should i head to PML to have it changed as my ride is still under warranty. I'm driving a 323 as well.

Please advice. Thanks in advance.

MaVrk;376592 said:
Hi Guys,

Based on this thread, can i confirm that all whining sounds whether from front or back are actually rectified by replacement of the rear diffrential/final drive?

Coz i'm beginning to experience the same kinda whining sound coming from the front, and its at low speeds when i step off the accelerator and when i depress the accelerator as well. Previously, no whining sounds, but it's becoming more audible as the days go by.

Should i head to PML to have it changed as my ride is still under warranty. I'm driving a 323 as well.

Please advice. Thanks in advance.

sounds like mine although mine is 320. now sure if they share the same parts, hence the same problem?

trick is to make sure u can replica the sound consistently before u head down cos much easier when u r able to show it.

my previous ride E46 also had tis 'whinning' noise ard 80km/h-90km/h, after 3th year. was told tat it could to do with differential stuff like tat. drove wif it n let it whine for another 3yrs....no mechnical trouble. guess used to my wife's nag and whine, so tis puny whinning noise is nothing to me :)

but if within waranty period, better send it to get it replaced free

Was at PML today and to fix some defect for the paintwork. In the meantime, I complained about the creaks noises and some wind noises that I could hear. Was hoping they could fix the creaks in the cabin together with the paintwork all in a day, but to my disappointment, the creaks have to be done again on another day.

Was told that the wind noises that I am hearing is the whining noise that is described here and is due to the final drive. And there is no permanent solution to it! ie the nosie may go away for a while after replacing it and noise will come back like a week later or so. So disappointed!

You gotta be kidding me man...i seriously reckon that they should provide us with a permanent solution to these whinning issues.

To pay S$100 plus K for a car, and having to accept rear differential/final drive issues as part of the paid package is ridiculous. I'm not technically inclined, so could some of the bros who are shed some light on these unsolvable whinning issues. Thanks buddies.

Brought my car to PML to check on the 'Whining noise' and confirmed that it is due to the Final Drive. They said that it usually dont have to new 5 series so i guess i could be the only one with such a problem.... Anyone know of any 5 series owner has such a problem?

Damn pissed off, as i got to comeback again as they need to ordered the parts and will take another 10 days before they call me again.... i guess i am just unlucky...already 2 days no car to drive except for 4 taxi voucher given by PML... do PML provide replacement car to drive when your car get stuck in workshop.. the SMRT voucher is quite hopeless as it is quite difficult at times to get a cab, and 4 vouchers is definitely not enuf for 2 days...will the change of Final Drive guarantee no such problem..or it is just the start of more trouble to come... my car is less then 5months...

Any Bro care to comment.

I think I also have this problem. My E93 is 3 months old!

Is it worth getting it fixed? My only concern is once they start taking your car apart, they might screw up other areas... What happens if I leave the sound alone? Will the final drive eventually breakdown completely?

For those who have gotten the noise fixed, are you happy with the result?

Back