E46 318i Fuel Consumption Test..!

Re: E46 318i Fuel Consumption Test..!

kurqa said:
anyone who's heard of the evaporating petrol

it does evaporate within the tank... ie if you've got 3/4 tank for example, this air space will allow petrol to evaporate... but it shouldnt evaporate that much though... otherwise there might be a leak, which is rare but possible & damn dangerous...

You R rite! Evaporation shouldn't affect much!

sigh...:( Think my friend 320i (2.2L) got better FC than my 318 (2.0L Valvetronic)!

kurqa i think its really your Parking Lot... Cos u park so much at home then the sun jus shine thru ur GLASS ROOF so probably your fuel really evaporates much faster than others... u r one of the few that make me feel i am doing quite good as compared to ur fuel consumption. maybe like wat others say u shld gun ur car more often.... clear carbon.... u havent been doing tat often.... speed wisely....

cheers....

ok guys time for the update...have been doing very little driving as of late so just refuelled 44 litres after 18 days and 310km... basically that is again giving 7km/litre so i guess the case can now be confirmed.

please feel free to voice your opinions..thanks.

hi Kurqa....

i am getting bout 11.5l/ 100km.... was really upset with my FC until i saw ur post :p yeh rub it in rite... but running on 225/45/17 front and 245/40/17 rear so i figured that FC should be quite crappy..

Maybe u should let Ah Wee (BVO) have a look....

BTW, petrol price has gone dwn 3 cents again....:}end of OT

kurqa said:
ok guys time for the update...have been doing very little driving as of late so just refuelled 44 litres after 18 days and 310km... basically that is again giving 7km/litre so i guess the case can now be confirmed.

please feel free to voice your opinions..thanks.

I must say, 310km on a tank is quite, actually, make that very bad. You must really whack your car. Otherwise, I can't think of how you can achieve that if your car is working properly.

I'd have it checked out by a mechanic.

I've done experiments with my own car, a stock FL E46 320 on 225/45/17. If I drive like there's no tomorrow on every single drive, I get 300 - 350km on a tank. Driving like no tomorrow means redlining whenever possible. If I drive sedately. I get 500 - 550km on a tank.

On average, I get 450-500km on a tank. That includes 70% sedate driving and 30% very enthusiastic driving.

hi c-backside,

i usually get 400km on 1 tankful meaning top up only when the light comes on. the 310km i got this time was because i topped up at near the 3/4 mark. anyway the 400 km i get consists a little bit on enthusiastic driving but i must admit i tend to kickdown accidentally sometimes when overtaking..but surely not to the extent of driving like theres no tmw like you lah!!! not to mention stock 205/55/16 tyres on good inflation..WTF

kurqa said:
hi c-backside,

i usually get 400km on 1 tankful meaning top up only when the light comes on. the 310km i got this time was because i topped up at near the 3/4 mark. anyway the 400 km i get consists a little bit on enthusiastic driving but i must admit i tend to kickdown accidentally sometimes when overtaking..but surely not to the extent of driving like theres no tmw like you lah!!! not to mention stock 205/55/16 tyres on good inflation..WTF

Well, I suppose 400km per tank is quite feasible then. Maybe your definition of "enthusiastic driving" is a different leaugue from mine...

But I must say, it's rare during normal driving conditions that I only get 400km. Maybe with a lot of city driving with some really long jams thrown in. Usually will be more than 400km.

driving an 04 318 valvetronic with a simota CAI fitted ... car is 11 months old with 17,000km on it so far ... 1 servicing (oil change) done at PML.

last 2 petrol top ups are as follows (i record everything in my lil black book of mileage!)

11 Nov - clocked 450km - topped up 49L of 98 unleaded
23 Nov - clocked 420 km - topped up 50L of 98 unleaded

I normally do quite a bit of revving ... about 10-20% of the time my rev counter is above 4k rpm ... you can blame barry and his simota for that =) and i always drive in manual mode ... so shifts probably come around 3k rpm ...

my average speed from my home to camp is about 80km/h since i go from ecp to rochor to upp bukit timah ..

mikeygar said:
hi kurqa - your fuel efficiency is a bit better than mine, are you in singapore as well?

yea mikey..im in singapore too!

wah guys you all are really making me feel sorry for my wallet..

thanks kevinm for sharing your FC...do you think manual mode saves more fuel than auto?

Kurqa,

Just to share my experience.
My fuel consumption is typically around 8.5-9km/l but it dropped to around 7km-7.5km/l for several weeks.

Then my friend commented that my car sounded quite noisy. I guess i was used to the sound (Remus exhaust, pretty worn out Yokohama AD07 etc). In any case, i sent the car to PML Kg Arang for a check.

It turned out that my rear axle bearings were worn out. Got it changed within a day & fuel consumption is back to 9km/l now.

hi nighthawk..thanks man...didnt know that could be a problem..but it'll sure be funny if thats happened to me cuz mileage so low..21000km only..and also the 7km/l has been around for say...almost a year?? wah lau..think i gotta go check but only in end dec though..will be away for a month..so will let you know when i get it done..thanks again..!

Hi Kurqa, I think mileage may not necessary relate to the wear of your wheel bearings. A car being stationary for extended period of time also meant putting stress on a particular section of the wheel bearing extensively. In some cases, it also results in flat spot on the tyres. Just my 2 cents.

thanks jawz..cant help it though..i really don't go out much..perhaps i should start driving around at night just to enjoy the car huh..it's depreciating anyway! in the past week, i've clocked only 80km!!! perhaps you could suggest some nice driving routes..thanks!

Err.. care to join me on Dec 18 Sepang trip.. round trip coming to 700 km.. that one sure got plenty mileage clocking.. hee heee.. I personally like Neo Tiew in the evening just before sundown.. South Bouna Vista will have to be wee hours.. else pretty frustating.

If nothing else, just cruise either East Coast H/way, TPE or KJE to keep your moving part well lubricated, warm your wires for better corrosion resistance as well as enjoy the feel of your bimmer..

A short and easy trip daily or every other day would do you and your car plenty good.

wah jawz..thanks for the invitation..would love too but i will be away to NZ for a month...backpack lah cuz i love to travel. perhaps we could all go on some overseas driving trips along those nice coastal roads next time..maybe the forum organisers wanna think about it?? like those AA self-drive tours..why restrict ourselves to malaysia only..?

i dread to think what will be of the car when i get back..but i guess my mom will drive it then..thanks dude...

An update for the rest:
Fuel needle is between 1/2 ans 3/4 tank marks but only 140+ km done so far..looks like this time it's going to be worse..do any of you guys think PML actually duznt perform all the servicing as the invoice claims?? i mean..who the hell would know???

Hey kurqa, my family's E46 320i does 12.8L/100km on average, which is quite bad too.

Before servicing, it was even worse. We were doing 13.5L/100km. My dad brought it to PML to check and detected that it was a brake pad problem. The brakes were clamping onto the discs on one wheel, hence causing unecessary friction and ultimately, high FC.

But, months after that problem, we're getting 12.8L/100km. I don't know, I always assumed this to be normal.

Hi Kurqa,

Your fuel consumption is v bad, and I thought my 12.5L/100km was bad.
Perhaps you should take your car in for an unscheduled servicing. I replaced my airfilter with an oem one at 30,000km and you can't believe how dirty it is, afterwhich fuel consumption improved.. and engine response also better. PML claims that the original spart plugs lasts 80,000km, a check on the borsch, NGK website says to change every 30,000 - 40,000km. After changing mine for the 1st time at 40,000km, I can already feel the fuel meter drop more slowly... but will post real numbers shortly.

Back