does Castrol Edge 5w-40 (ll-01) cause engine sludge?

pegaki

I heard a reputable workshop here say castrol edge ll-01 5w-40, although the recommended oil by bmw, causes engine sludge!

anyone can confirm this?

what is the best oil for bmw then? :thinking:

Re: does Castrol Edge 5w-40 (ll-01) cause engine sludge?

eh bro. can give some clues as to which reputable workshop?

pegaki;1127854 said:
I heard a reputable workshop here say castrol edge ll-01 5w-40, although the recommended oil by bmw, causes engine sludge!

anyone can confirm this?

You believe Castrol will do R&D and sell something that cause engine sludge ?

sanerling;1127864 said:
eh bro. can give some clues as to which reputable workshop?

Obviously the ws is not selling Castrol oil and is very keen to promote the oil they selling.

i dont think its right to name the workshop
btw one bro mentioned it right - they dont use castrol
i am currently on castrol edge titanium 5w-40
next oil change going to try liqui molly - any comments on this one? (btw i do oil change every 5k to 6k)

I've tried LM on several occasions previously. I average about 2200km a month so I service my engine regularly at 8000km mark. Sad to say when using LM, engine loses power after 2 to 3000km. Good news is I hear LM has improved their oils and deliver better performance. Yet to try it but willing to give it a go again in the next servicing.

Between the last (about 1.5 years) and now, I've been on fuch titan gt1 and I must say it's a really good engine oil. Right up to 8000km the car doesn't feel sluggish.

Tried castrol edge too. Unsure about the sludge claims but not very impress with it I must say. I can't pin point at what mileage will the engine feel sluggish as I've only used it once.

Hope it helps!

All,

I have tried several oils ... from motul to shell to Castrol to mobil one to LM etc ..

I use only LL01 oils these days either 0-30 Castrol edge or 0w 40. If none of such I go for 0w mobil one.

Best oil value for money.

I will not touch 5w 40.

I use Castrol Edge 5W40, svc interval 10k km and engine feels smooth even when at 10k km mark.
Probably i dun really rev much thus stressing the oil less.
Used other oils before but now i swear by this Castrol.

pegaki;1127854 said:

anyone can confirm this?

Absolute rubbish. There are a number of engine oil comparison tests on the net and Castrol compares well with the rest.

Jason8822;1127937 said:
I use Castrol Edge 5W40, svc interval 10k km and engine feels smooth even when at 10k km mark.
Probably i dun really rev much thus stressing the oil less.
Used other oils before but now i swear by this Castrol.

Try 0w 40 ...

The gold 5w40 is manufacture for local weather with titumium technology ??? I like that for cruising but not wacking ...

SUPAN;1127947 said:
Try 0w 40 ...

The gold 5w40 is manufacture for local weather with titumium technology ??? I like that for cruising but not wacking ...

Yes sir .....

:bullshit: Then my cars must be full of sludge as I ve been using German Castrol for the last 2 years?. I ve used Liquid Moly, Mobil-1, Shell Helix Ultra. All are BMW LL-01 approved oils. No sludge what so ever. Until today, with my E90 still another 4 months to ORD, engine is smooth like KY Jelly.

Back