Do you warm up your engine in the morning?

nkglfrs

Hi guys,

Am driving a 3 yrs old E90 LCI 318i.

Want to find out if its necessary to warm up the engine in the morning before driving off. I don't do that at all for my previous Toyota and Honda, not sure about beemers.

thanks!

Re: Do you warm up your engine in the morning?

What did owner manual says?

nope. warming up cars is old technology.

of cos u cannot immediately race upon starting cold engine lah

But if old habits die hard and u die die need to warm it up 1st, u can do a pseudo warm up by starting engine, put on seat belt, look in the mirror to see whether got pimple to squeeze, then drive off. warmed up!

MW;1098430 said:
nope. warming up cars is old technology.

of cos u cannot immediately race upon starting cold engine lah

But if old habits die hard and u die die need to warm it up 1st, u can do a pseudo warm up by starting engine, put on seat belt, look in the mirror to see whether got pimple to squeeze, then drive off. warmed up!

oui u still alive har?

hi Ts u have pimples? if no have also can orh bi sai first....

I usually ask my chick to wake up early and go start and warm up the car. She waits for me while I shower and change.

I usually ask my chick to wake up early and go to the car with me. We steam up the windows inside while waiting for car to warm up.

what makes you think that toyota and honda dont need to warm up and beemers need to?
japanese and ang mo all should warm up before doing exercise correct.

scientifically, the reason to warm up any car is to warm up the engine oil as the viscosity differs when its cool and when hot.
thats why in EO specs there is a 40deg value and a 100deg value.

warming up doesnt mean that the car need to be idle, just that one should drive at lower rpm maybe during the first 5min to get the EO heated up and fully coat all parts in the engine.

nkglfrs;1098427 said:
Hi guys,

Am driving a 3 yrs old E90 LCI 318i.

Want to find out if its necessary to warm up the engine in the morning before driving off. I don't do that at all for my previous Toyota and Honda, not sure about beemers.

thanks!

kenntona;1098434 said:
I usually ask my chick to wake up early and go start and warm up the car. She waits for me while I shower and change.

seanskye;1098436 said:
I usually ask my chick to wake up early and go to the car with me. We steam up the windows inside while waiting for car to warm up.

This is not the right way to warm up ur car..

View attachment 64050

and I am also reporting you two to SPCA...

lol .... you guys are very creative ...

when i was driving toyota and honda, i start engine, turn on radio, put on seat-belt, drive out of parking lot within 5 sec. Of course i won't immediately ram the engine to 5k rpm. This is because i had an impression that jap engine are more "friendly" to our hot weather here.

Thanks for the great advise, i am now confident that i can do the same for the beamer .. :)

Vansoh;1098437 said:
what makes you think that toyota and honda dont need to warm up and beemers need to?
japanese and ang mo all should warm up before doing exercise correct.

scientifically, the reason to warm up any car is to warm up the engine oil as the viscosity differs when its cool and when hot.
thats why in EO specs there is a 40deg value and a 100deg value.

warming up doesnt mean that the car need to be idle, just that one should drive at lower rpm maybe during the first 5min to get the EO heated up and fully coat all parts in the engine.

This is wat i called quality post!!!! got more points boh???

For the longest time, I've heard there is no need to warm up before driving off but my experience has always been it's jerky and the engine stutters a bit, no matter what car make it is. I usually wait at least until the rpm drops to it's normal idling speed before driving slowly off. Unless I'm driving an electric car.

Regarding this topic ...

Ie. midnight reach home park car. go home sleep and in the morning 8 am start car engine.
I would say yes. I do that every cold start.

Ie. Reach home 4 - 5am. go home sleep and in the morning 8 am start car engine.
I would say yes still but shorter warm up time.

Why I would do that instead of driving off immediately ? You can do a trial with a 12 hour park mode vs a 4 hours park mode and then start the engine. I am sure the longer you left your car parked, the louder the startup as the car is warming up the cats.

After cats are warmed up the exhaust would soften to a purr and RPM would then go to ""usual"" idling standards and then I drive off ... Not over 3000 rpm. Usually after 2 traffic lights, I would push the car.

Essentially I do not think that idling drops to normal idling speed is suffice enough but that can be a thumb of rule.
++
Have I tried driving off without warm up ? yes ... will not feel strong pulls... compared to car fully warmed up.

Drive off slowly and take your time getting out of the carpark. First few minutes, change gears earlier and not rev engine too much.

JuzMe;1098676 said:
Drive off slowly and take your time getting out of the carpark. First few minutes, change gears earlier and not rev engine too much.

I think depends on cars ...

For me I would not ...

Revving should start after 80 celsius ...... That should be warm enough.

safe petrol no need to warm up ... crank engine and drive off.. of course dun rev to redline in the first 5 minutes of driving.

Generally in Singapore tropical weather, warming up engine is not a must due to the ambient temperature usually above 26 deg C. the engine oil viscosity remain less viscous, so warm up is a waste, do not rev the engine above 2000rpm during the first few kilometers to let the engine reach the working temp., I have this practice for 20 years and never experience any problem in the engine part due to this habit.

esis311;1099723 said:
Generally in Singapore tropical weather, warming up engine is not a must due to the ambient temperature usually above 26 deg C. the engine oil viscosity remain less viscous, so warm up is a waste, do not rev the engine above 2000rpm during the first few kilometers to let the engine reach the working temp., I have this practice for 20 years and never experience any problem in the engine part due to this habit.

Thats y so many Hoggers on the road ...

Hehe

thanks for all the advice ...

i am now trying to keep it below 2k RPM for the first 1-2 km in the morning while not spending too much time warming up the engine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8may88vip
Back