Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups

DIY - Power Steering fluid flush

Re: DIY - Power Steering fluid flush

This looks like such a simple DIY that me and my hiadee decided to try it on my car...keke.

Yeap, inspired by Read Bean Bun, yours truly did the same DIY with the help of a hiadee. Hiadee went to grab 2 cans of Pentosin for me because he is a loan shark and has plenty of time KLKK. He also lives near Geylang so very convenient to supplier.

Also found a cheapo plastic pump for sucking (water hor) that I used for aquarium previously. Hand held type that works like RBB's gadget.

Steps:
1. Open the Power Steering Fluid cap. wah, KNN the fluid was below the minimum mark. How come no warning code on my dashboard one?
2. Start to extract the Fluid. KNS, machiam like kopi-gao. Calling it kopi sounds right because I extracted about a cup full from reservoir. Fluid was emptied into a clear CNY cookie container. Held it up against the sun. Looks like double shot espresso colour.
3. Takes about 12 to 15 sucking attempts to fully drain the fluid from the reservoir using my 'sucker'.
4. Pour new Pentosin(green fluid) until required level. Replace cap.
5. Drove the car in nearby area, including 2 x 3-point turns and a couple of left n right corners. Back to my house.
6. Repeated steps 1 to 5 three times. That uses up 1 can of Pentosin(1 litre). After the 3rd attempt, the drained fluid also starts to look more green than brown.
Since I used 1 can so far, it means the reservoir holds roughly 1/3 of a litre of pentosin if you fill it to roughly the correct level.
7. After the 3rd flush, hiadee says can liao, no more flushes required. Open 2nd tin of pentosin and fill up the reservoir. Still have 2/3 of a tin in the 2nd tin left after filling up(keep for next time)

So all in all I only spent $$ on 1 1/3 litres of pentosin. What we learnt was you better have a roll of kitchen paper roll handy as you may drip fluids here and there if not careful.

Time taken = about 1 hour(including TKSS).

Result? Steering does feel smoother on the turns.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIY in group , would be fun and learning more things together ...

Thumbs up !!

Cool job ABD ... !

Those places where the Pentosin dripped ... especially the belts ... must clean - It will react with the rubber.

Ahbengdriver;1065838 said:
This looks like such a simple DIY that me and my hiadee decided to try it on my car...keke.

Yeap, inspired by Read Bean Bun, yours truly did the same DIY with the help of a hiadee. Hiadee went to grab 2 cans of Pentosin for me because he is a loan shark and has plenty of time KLKK. He also lives near Geylang so very convenient to supplier.

Also found a cheapo plastic pump for sucking (water hor) that I used for aquarium previously. Hand held type that works like RBB's gadget.

Steps:
1. Open the Power Steering Fluid cap. wah, KNN the fluid was below the minimum mark. How come no warning code on my dashboard one?
2. Start to extract the Fluid. KNS, machiam like kopi-gao. Calling it kopi sounds right because I extracted about a cup full from reservoir. Fluid was emptied into a clear CNY cookie container. Held it up against the sun. Looks like double shot espresso colour.
3. Takes about 12 to 15 sucking attempts to fully drain the fluid from the reservoir using my 'sucker'.
4. Pour new Pentosin(green fluid) until required level. Replace cap.
5. Drove the car in nearby area, including 2 x 3-point turns and a couple of left n right corners. Back to my house.
6. Repeated steps 1 to 5 three times. That uses up 1 can of Pentosin(1 litre). After the 3rd attempt, the drained fluid also starts to look more green than brown.
Since I used 1 can so far, it means the reservoir holds roughly 1/3 of a litre of pentosin if you fill it to roughly the correct level.
7. After the 3rd flush, hiadee says can liao, no more flushes required. Open 2nd tin of pentosin and fill up the reservoir. Still have 2/3 of a tin in the 2nd tin left after filling up(keep for next time)

So all in all I only spent $$ on 1 1/3 litres of pentosin. What we learnt was you better have a roll of kitchen paper roll handy as you may drip fluids here and there if not careful.

Time taken = about 1 hour(including TKSS).

Result? Steering does feel smoother on the turns.

Good Job and well done RBB...

Thanks to RBB for this post. I have just completed the PS oil change a while ago for my 5 year old, but low mileage (34K km) E93 325i

Like what he observed the oil that was extracted out was brownish green and seems to have lost its viscosity. It felt 'watery' in the waste collection bottle.

After the change, the 'groan' of the ps system is gone (while parking) and the steering actually felt lighter after that.

In addition the oil change, I also took the opportunity to change the gasket on the cap - its available separately from the stockist.

I have now an extra unopened bottle of CHF-11s to let go as i bought one extra just in case. Am letting it go at $20 nett (original $24) saves you $4 and your time to go down to stockist.

Deal at Somerset MRT - pm me if you are keen. Thanks!

Back