DIY : E90 320i LCI Auto Shift Knob

richlee7

Just to share a surprisingly simple DIY. Saw the new LCI shift knob and thought it looks quite nice, so when it arrived yesterday, thot i'd just try out the often-heard : Pull it straight out! Reading fm other sites' DIY, some faced disaster n failure, even with strong European and Americans, while others seem to do it so easily. Must try...

DIY : E90 LCI Auto Shift Knob

Tools needed: hands only
Time needed: 5min

View attachment 22732
For those intending to order: this is the matt silver (brush aluminium look) version, but there is another more shiny chrome one with a different Part No., so be careful which you order.
BMW Part No.: 63 21 0 406 678

View attachment 22733
As I'm right hander, i chose to sit on the passenger seat to pull out the old gear knob. I left the position in 'P'. I then used a jacket to put on centre console to support my elbow, as I PRESS THE BUTTON on the gear knob, and PULLED STRAIGHT UP holding the knob... surprisingly with just little strength, without much force, the knob came right out! :)
Nothing needed to be done about the leather gear boot.

View attachment 22734
Side-by-side. Can't really see the difference due to i did it at night, lighting was bad, and the N85 camera i'm using isn't dat fantastic in low-light condition.

View attachment 22735
Pushed in the new knob as far as it could go. No 'click' or whatever... just push it as far in as i could, and then went over to driver side to test if the shift 'works' (the button catches correctly or not)

View attachment 22736
View fm the driver's seat, tested and working! :)
Happy!!!

Re: DIY : E90 LCI Auto Shift Knob

s7923332;493714 said:
hey, where did you buy your gear knob.....looks great...
got mine fm eng soon. think they still have stock ...
pml should also have ...

Re: DIY : E90 320i LCI Auto Shift Knob

Can fit this onto the pre LCI e90 too?

looks good

anyone noes which workshop can install?

richlee7;493344 said:
Just to share a surprisingly simple DIY. Saw the new LCI shift knob and thought it looks quite nice, so when it arrived yesterday, thot i'd just try out the often-heard : Pull it straight out! Reading fm other sites' DIY, some faced disaster n failure, even with strong European and Americans, while others seem to do it so easily. Must try...

DIY : E90 LCI Auto Shift Knob

Tools needed: hands only
Time needed: 5min

View attachment 22732
For those intending to order: this is the matt silver (brush aluminium look) version, but there is another more shiny chrome one with a different Part No., so be careful which you order.
BMW Part No.: 63 21 0 406 678

View attachment 22733
As I'm right hander, i chose to sit on the passenger seat to pull out the old gear knob. I left the position in 'P'. I then used a jacket to put on centre console to support my elbow, as I PRESS THE BUTTON on the gear knob, and PULLED STRAIGHT UP holding the knob... surprisingly with just little strength, without much force, the knob came right out! :)
Nothing needed to be done about the leather gear boot.

View attachment 22734
Side-by-side. Can't really see the difference due to i did it at night, lighting was bad, and the N85 camera i'm using isn't dat fantastic in low-light condition.

View attachment 22735
Pushed in the new knob as far as it could go. No 'click' or whatever... just push it as far in as i could, and then went over to driver side to test if the shift 'works' (the button catches correctly or not)

View attachment 22736
View fm the driver's seat, tested and working! :)
Happy!!!
Hello guys ! I'm searching for a manual transmission 6 speed illuminated gear knob for a BMW E87 (1 series) to replace the standard one. I have seen sth retrofit (LeatherZ Start Page) for about 140 USD but the website does not respond for orders (maybe it's out of stock). I've also seen the new X1 LCD gear knob from AC schnitzer but I don't know if it's available anywhere and the price . Could you help me ?

Denis B;604887 said:
Hello guys ! I'm searching for a manual transmission 6 speed illuminated gear knob for a BMW E87 (1 series) to replace the standard one. I have seen sth retrofit (LeatherZ Start Page) for about 140 USD but the website does not respond for orders (maybe it's out of stock). I've also seen the new X1 LCD gear knob from AC schnitzer but I don't know if it's available anywhere and the price . Could you help me ?
bro, manual shouldn't be too difficult, although have to check how complicating is the lighting. If just 2 or 3 wires, there are sufficient wires in centre console (originally for lighting purpose) to splice and install quite easily.

check my post for DIY of the rear aircon-ashtray somewhere in this forum. you'll see there are some cables there running throught the centre console that are usable for splicing to tap the power if needed.

the new gear shift knob looks cool and better grip...how much did u get it bro ?

Bro thanks for the info and pixs... my knob is "peeling" already, guess have to replace it soon.. can share the damage?

kyser;602564 said:
Can fit this onto the pre LCI e90 too?

looks good

anyone noes which workshop can install?

Now that's a sweet gear knob! Is it available here in Singapore? If so, mind pointing me in the right direction? :)

Hi Guys,
My new car is still in PML, if you guys want to swap the gear-knob tomorrow at PML let me know.

Need to be tomorrow only as I will swap it with my //M knob and the old car will be handed over to the dealer.

Contact me at: 97424005 in the morning, thanks.

Hi Bro,
can u advice how to remove the gear knob from the black leather sleeve and seems it is clipped/attached to the grove on rod of the Knob? tried pushing the sleeve down, but does not budge. :(
monfreeze-archangel-albums-aircon-console-picture151-07112009632-s-1.jpg

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Monfreeze Archangel;632652 said:
Hi Bro,
can u advice how to remove the gear knob from the black leather sleeve and seems it is clipped/attached to the grove on rod of the Knob? tried pushing the sleeve down, but does not budge. :(
monfreeze-archangel-albums-aircon-console-picture151-07112009632-s-1.jpg

Thanks

Just shift it to Neutral and pull it out by force.

Keep ur face away to avoid black eye or bleeding nose. I'm serious.

Thanks Bro,

For the heads-up on the black eye and bleeding nose...will exercise caution :)

Monfreeze Archangel;632660 said:
Thanks Bro,

For the heads-up on the black eye and bleeding nose...will exercise caution :)

No prob. From ur photo I think it's in P position, that's why u couldn't pull it out...

Back