DIY: Door Stopper For E65/E66

snappy

Hi guys,

finally managed to squeeze out some time to post this DIY, been long overdue...

As you guys know, E65/E66 has a door stopper aka door brakes. This allows the door to stay open at any angle, unlike other cars. But the hydraulics wear out fast, and in most cases it becomes a problem. Once it stops working, opening doors becomes dangerous... I ever have passengers who hurt their legs when the door starts to close in.

I decided to change the hydraulics a few months back. Bought 4 pieces from Goldenlink, about $500. My regular workshop got it changed at $150 for all 4. When he showed me the "worn" hydraulics, I was quite baffled. The hydraulics are still working fine and stiff. There is no way I can pull or push it.

The problem was that right at the end of the hydraulics was foam that is holding the joints.
6965602830_9f7c120780.jpg

The foam has degraded, and now the joint is left dangling without any support.
7111629655_c0bceddb3b_b.jpg

Being the adventurous me, I decided to do some DIY on the 4 "worn" hydraulics. The following materials are needed:
1. Sandpaper medium grade
2. metal paint witth rust protection
3. paint brush
7111628239_00770ec615.jpg

and the most important of all:
4. industrial rubber
7111635007_cf0fc0a494.jpg

You can buy the industrial rubber from Garlin Pte Ltd, 101 Towner Road. Bought only 1 feet, which is only $4. cross-section thickness is about 4cm x 3 cm.

Do not ask me how to remove the hydraulics from the door, I've seen them removing it and is really difficult...

As you can see from the pic, our hydraulics are much bigger and longer that we perceive it to be.
7111626111_7c7404e104_z.jpg

Remove all rust from the joints using sandpaper.

7111631483_c19b7f8e42_z.jpg

Then use the black paint and paint it over.

7111633089_da37e422da_z.jpg

Next, cut the rubber. I did not really cut the rubber to size, but instead I trim it so that it is slightly bigger than the hole. Then I squeeze it in, use a hammer to knock it in. It has to be difficult to squeeze in the rubber, as you have to make sure that the rubber will be very tight-fitted.

6965560064_cdcfa786e1_z.jpg

Once that is done, I drilled a hole in the centre, about 8mm-10mm. Then I squeeze the metal joint in. Again, make sure that it is damn difficult to squeeze in. If it is easy to slot in, then you have to re-do the whole rubber thing again...

6965561396_3c008cd016_z.jpg

Whether it will hold or not, I'm not sure. But I'm sure that this rubber will last longer than the original foam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: DIY: Door Stopper For E65/E66

Thanks thanks bro! Will book mark this so when my F02 door fails, I'll have a reference and try out the DIY, tks again!

I never know that the doors are supposed to hold...tot it was auto closing into its suction..:)
Maybe we can have a group repair with a workshop who can do this?

Apparently, E65/66 and F01/02 have this "infinite variable angle" door opening mechanism, which is pretty cool, unlike the standard 2/3 angles that a car door can open. Basically, the door will stay in position at whatever angle of opening. This is different from the suction doors :)

can do it for me e82 bo? the door always open too big or too small...scared it kiap my legs...can modify one??

This is pretty cool shit... always din let the 2 fixed angle of opening doors.. Tough when I want to squeeze out of the car.. lol...

Dunno if this is possible to mod into our car ( which don't come with such feature?)

Hi Snappy,

Can advise which workshop you went to change these ?

Thanks

From Snappy's first post " My regular workshop got it changed at $150 for all 4."

Hi bro, got it changed at Wee Heng Auto at Eunos. Now shifted to Kim Chuan Terrace.

Thanks for this. Followed exactly and did for all 4 doors. The original bushing had become powder form... I guess BMW can claim that they are designed to be bio-degradable, earth friendly.

Thanks for an interesting post. It would hv cost $1000 labour n parts to get all 4 door brakes changed at PML.

Thanks for the post.

The problem with mine, is the other end of the door brake, came off the silver ball, and I couldn't fix it back.

According to PML guys, must change entire thing, which I am not convinced...

Any advice?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
win88win88org

Latest posts

Back