Cruise Control

Geoff Ang

guys,

i have just recently installed cruise control in my Z, and have a question...
will using CC increase my fuel usage??? in other words... will eat chiak yu???
or use it only when my leg tired... hahahhaa???

Re: Cruise Control

I think you should use it only when your legs are tired and only when there's alot of space in front of you. Using CC won't really jia yu as you are constantly maintaining the speed that you set it at. So maybe 100km/h at 2.5Krpm constantly for fairly even roads.
I rarely use it in Singapore, not enough space or distance to comfortably cruise...

In fact using CC should save petrol. Hard to use in Singapore though. Even on the NS highway, only practical if traffic is not too heavy.

tts strange .. i use cc quite frequently .. i find it more "efficient" as when i leave cc on i tend to sit in the mid lane and just have a relaxing drive .. and i do find the petrol counter normally at 6-7L/100km whenever i engage cc at 90km/h .. dunno if e counter is accurate tho ..

i use it to stop myself speeding. thats the one biggest benefit of using cruise control.

but lim peh MAF spoil liao so cc doesnt work anymore. whose car going to scrap liao can change MAF with me?

Best place to use CC, that section after getting off NS highway and the next checkpoint, always kenna laser...just set 110kmh and cruise.

BTW, whats MAF?

I must admit that I still dunno how to use CC till today...

kevinm said:
tts strange .. i use cc quite frequently .. i find it more "efficient" as when i leave cc on i tend to sit in the mid lane and just have a relaxing drive .. and i do find the petrol counter normally at 6-7L/100km whenever i engage cc at 90km/h .. dunno if e counter is accurate tho ..

Same with CC on highway drivng, at 90km/h consumption is around 10-11km/l

CC is best to maintain speed and prevent me from speeding. especially in the middle of the night when the road is empty, right foot is heavy BUT the TP is lurking at the corner :furious:

instead of chiak yu, CC should kiam yu as your vehicle is maintain at constant speed

I actually kena summon while using cruise control... Cruising at too high speed already. Set at slightly below 120km/h, but the TP's e36 capture me speeding at 121km/h. Think probably i travelling up some slope then the car will accelerate abit on itself. Damn expensive and bo hua... no more speeding for me already. That on, crusing only at 90+km/h, sure safe till i get my points back:)

Geoff Ang said:
guys,

i have just recently installed cruise control in my Z, and have a question...
will using CC increase my fuel usage??? in other words... will eat chiak yu???
or use it only when my leg tired... hahahhaa???

Wah Geoff, u actually spent money to install that thing ah. I hated it to death. I think it is the most under-utilised item in a car in Spore keke. But it shd logically incease FC especially when u brake and the car has to accelerate back to the preset speed asap.

MAF - mass air flow sensor....
normally goes wrong when u use over oiled oil base filters like knn..

andy actually you're wrong. when you brake, the CC function is disabled. until you switch it on again. However, conversely, if you accelerate, it will fall back to the preset speed after you throttle off.

it will definitely save you fuel coz a constant speed is maintained. If you are the type of driver who's constantly throttle on, then speed goes up 3 kmh, then throttle off, then speed drops back 3kmh, every 100 metres like that one, like some stupid lousy taxi driver i always unluckily encounter when i flag a cab, those bastards, then, compared to a constant speed of cruise control, it'll save much more fuel.

Racebred said:
andy actually you're wrong. when you brake, the CC function is disabled. until you switch it on again. However, conversely, if you accelerate, it will fall back to the preset speed after you throttle off.

My CC function is not fully disabled. There is another button on my steering wheel which when I activate, will command the car to revert back to the CC speed I previously set. In that context, the car sometimes rev quite hard to get to that speed asap and that is where I feel a higher FC will come in. Obviously when a driver is on CC and was interrupted by a hazaard which subsequently went away, obviously he wld want to revert back to the CC speed he originally set. I was referring to that context.

Otherwise, CC when set to an efficient speed where FC is also efficient, say at 90km/h, then of course no increase in FC.

T6 said:
Wah Geoff, u actually spent money to install that thing ah. I hated it to death. I think it is the most under-utilised item in a car in Spore keke. But it shd logically incease FC especially when u brake and the car has to accelerate back to the preset speed asap.

had to spend that money lah bro... it is my speed reduction program lah.... with this installed, i set it below limit and just hold on tight to my right leg till i need to brake...
shawn has the same technique i believe!!! :)
but dont know abt him holding to his right leg tightly like i do???

Geoff Ang said:
had to spend that money lah bro... it is my speed reduction program lah.... with this installed, i set it below limit and just hold on tight to my right leg till i need to brake...
shawn has the same technique i believe!!! :)
but dont know abt him holding to his right leg tightly like i do???

Geoff, I think you've installed the wrong device leh..

You should have installed a S-Control, or even P-Control...

Let me explain how this works.
P-Control cuts off all pre-existing connections from your throttle pedal to your engine... This way, no matter how hard you step on the accelerator, the power won't kick in..

As for S-Control, this is even more advanced, but takes foot-eye co-ordination and can be hard to master. It requires you to periodically adjust the weight of your foot versus your tachometer and speedometer values. The best part is, the moment you pass the road speed limit signage, speed adjusts accordingly.. The product is called self-control(TM). You can install it at any of the listed workshops..

Kekeke.. :D

Hogwash aside, I think the cruise control can be useful for speed-limiting lah, especially on the expressway. Prob 1 out of 3 days to work, will definitely encounter TP of sorts..

As for your right foot, no need to pull so hard! I think if you rest it on the accelerator, it'll not affect the speed significantly as the cruise control retards the acceleration and keeps it in reign..

Alvin.

using cc wil make me sleepy.....

I agree that CC makes you sleepy...

But after engaging CC at a certain speed, you can use the "+" "-" to increase/decrease speed, kindda of fun! The effect is like stepping on the accelerator, except it's using your thumb... But be careful when holding it down, ensure you have enough room ahead of you cause the "-" won't work as fast as letting go of the foot accelerator...

Back