Considering switch from E46 to E90

Black Spyder

Hi All,

Hope you can help me out.

How much do you think I should pay for a pre-owned E90 which is only about 6 months old? I may consider trading in my 3.5 year old E46 with high paper value for a new E90.

Do you think it makes good economic sense to make the trade?

Thanks for any help I can get!

Re: Considering switch from E46 to E90

Bro, is your present ride giving you any problems? You must ask yourself why people are selling off their 6 mth old ride. Don't buy a lemon and inherit someone's else problems.

Thanks. These pre-owned cars are actually being sold by Performance Motor's 2nd hand car department located at Sime Darby building. According to the person I spoke to, these cars are very very new, with very low mileage and used to be cars driven by Sime Darby management themselves. The management recently switched to 523s, and that is why these cars are now on sale.

If you look at the classifieds, you will see that they have a few E90s on sale, all about the same age (i.e. late 2005).

Assuming these cars are not lemons, what kind of price do you think they should be selling for?? Alternatively, what kind of straight line depreciation do you think I should expect from a 2nd hand E90?

Would appreciate any comments. Many thanks!

Bear in mind the cost of that pre-owned one vs the Aerospace deal
I think the latter may work out to be a better deal.

Depends on what you're looking for. E46 318i to E90 320i to me is not much of an upgrade. Like what Jack said, look at the aerospace deals, or for a true upgrade, wait for the 323i pricing to be out...

emiffy said:
Depends on what you're looking for. E46 318i to E90 320i to me is not much of an upgrade. Like what Jack said, look at the aerospace deals, or for a true upgrade, wait for the 323i pricing to be out...

Yes ! Yes ! Yes !

Should wait for E90 323i

E46 318i switch to E90 320 make no sense because same engine.

BMWSILVER said:
Yes ! Yes ! Yes !

Should wait for E90 323i

E46 318i switch to E90 320 make no sense because same engine.
Yeah....New body but old heart.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I was considering the switch only because I thought I could get a brand new car and continue to pay at or about the same monthly instalment. Besides, the yearly depreciation would also likely be less than my present ride. The AA car may not be worth considering as it is a lower spec car.

Anyhow, my dream really is to upgrade to a 523. At the moment, it seems a bit beyond reach, so I though why not just swap out for a new ride whilst I continue to save up!

If I m not wrong PML used cars are more ex than those offered by other dealers...maybe shld shop around for other options.

Pre-owned or test drive cars? I understand that cars driven by management are also used for test drives. So pls be very careful.

Well, the sales rep was upfront and said that of the few E90s he has, 3 were used as test drive cars. The rest, were management driven only cars.

I did a check and learned that basic cost of a 320 to PML is about $105K based on 10K COE and 40K OMV. Cost of 523 is $130K, based on 10K COE and 51K OMV. Their margins are therefore at or about $20K for 320, and $30K for 325. These are at or about the thinnest margins I have ever seen for Beemers.

By my reckoning, a 2nd hand 6 mth old 320 should be about $110-115K.

Anyhow, thanks for all the useful feedback! Am very grateful!

management driven cars = test drive cars? coz we cars we test drives are usually driven by the managers after office hours...

I always believe that OMV = list price and the distributor does not pay list price when they bring in the product. So they earn a bit more from the difference between OMV and whatever price they pay to the manufacturer and the margins are not as low as you think.

Back