Collecting ride

Re: Collecting ride

1series;922096 said:
Hi, the key difference between 116 and 118 is as follows: 1. 118 is tuned up to about 180HP while the 116 is about 130HP and 118 has eco pro, comfort, sports and sports plus while 116 is just eco pro, comfort and sports. 2. 116 seat is half leather and half fabric while 118 is full leather with red stitching threads 3. 118 rims is better looking than the 116 rims 4. minor aesthetic difference in the fog light covers and associated air duct. Plus, 116 is white grilles and 118 is black grilles. Other than this, there is no other major differences.

Price difference is about 20k. But 118 OMV is obviously higher and arguably, 118 resale value is higher.

1. Both 116 and 118 uses the same engine. So, you buy 116, slap on a Kellenar Sports Module (piggy), you get close to 118 specs. It had been dyno before that a 116 with piggy clocked 170+HP. Price of the KS module is about 2+K

2. You can do up to full leather seats yourself, but very troublesome, from our 116/118 circle so far, none do the leather seat outside. heard the cost is about 2k

3. if you are changing rims type, then this doesn't bother you. 116 rims trade in value is about 800 to 1k while 118 rims trade in value is about 1-1.2k

4. no problems with the fog light cover, air duct and grilles. See the other threads. you spend about 300+, you can DIY yourself to make it look like 118 easily....

You ask me, you do the math, and the choice the obvious. There are 2 schools of thought (1) get 116, have fun in modding to 118 like above mentioned. (2) just get 118 and remain stock as you so called 'have everything'.Or if budget is not an issue, get 118 and still mod even further!

So you decide what's best for yourself. Go test drive BOTH and ask the agent for the differences.

Have fun!

Thanks for the really detailed explanation 1Series. Just one question as a follow-up, when you mentioned the Kellenar Sports Module (piggy), is this an ECU upgrade? or a hardware upgrade?

cheers!

billionzzzz;922178 said:
Hey Vince82,

Did you have much issues with your DSG?

I understand what you mean by not needing much power. I drive "normally" these days, without ever exceeding 120. I must be getting old, or the vios just feels to feathery light.

Hi, I have no issue with the DSG. I only owned the car for 9 months and changed to my current ride as safety is my top priority. Didnt want to live in fear of the infamous DSG problem.

116i is already more powerful than most sedan cars so should be fine if you are a "normal" driver.

Hi guys,

How many of u sent your cars for Paint Protection (PPS) after collection? Is it really beneficial?

megafish;922581 said:
Hi guys,

How many of u sent your cars for Paint Protection (PPS) after collection? Is it really beneficial?

Yes, useful if you don't like to wash, polish, wax your car regularly.

2nd Must Do thing after getting the car.

For anyone considering getting the F20, this is my reasoning for getting the 118 over the 116, take it with a pinch of salt.

While you buy the 118 at $20k more, when you sell it, the difference may erode to $15k.

For that $5k difference, you get the full power and leather seat upgrade from the start which will already cost around $4-5k. Then if you still want to add a piggy back, your power output will be even higher.

Think about the logic and see if you agree with it or not.

Oh I forgot, stay away from the 1.4 dry DSG. I've been down that road before, never again.

leslie11;922615 said:
Oh I forgot, stay away from the 1.4 dry DSG. I've been down that road before, never again.

Same experience with Leslie and mine failed while I was driving it. Yep. it can happen even when you're driving it and have total power loss handed to you.

It was darn freaky for me. Thank god the brakes still work.

SapphireSpite;922632 said:
Oh didn't know about that , thought the naming convention is the same for all series e.g 320 2l 335 3.5l etc :confused:

323 and 325 also same 2.5L

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

leslie11;922613 said:
For anyone considering getting the F20, this is my reasoning for getting the 118 over the 116, take it with a pinch of salt.

While you buy the 118 at $20k more, when you sell it, the difference may erode to $15k.

For that $5k difference, you get the full power and leather seat upgrade from the start which will already cost around $4-5k. Then if you still want to add a piggy back, your power output will be even higher.

Agree wif u bro. If really 1 power n staying stock, juz go 4 118i. Seat wise cushion quite hard 2 clean s when u sit on it u can c all the dust flying ard. Afterall, it's a bmw. 'Feel' totally diff. Enjoy it

leslie11;922613 said:

It depends on how fast u change ride. The longer it is, the price gap shrinks.

Wah, now I noticed the price of a 320 same as what I paid for my 118i a month ago. Performance Motors really all out to sell man.

Anyway, just stick to what fits your needs. If you are mainly a city driver, a 116i will do just fine.

mpenzakc74;923810 said:
Hoping to collect 116i in one or two weeks time. Anything I should look out for? Would be my first car.
Maybe for dents and scratches on both the chassis and your wheels. Sometimes, they don't even realise minor knocks happened before delivering the ride to customer.

mpenzakc74;923810 said:
Hoping to collect 116i in one or two weeks time. Anything I should look out for? Would be my first car.

Get some servicing credits and go through the vehicle handover checklist carefully.

Do observe the engine sound for abnormalities, check tyre pressure if possible.

And do change your engine oil and oil filter after 2000km even though your SE will tell you not necessary.

Shev;923832 said:
And do change your engine oil and oil filter after 2000km even though your SE will tell you not necessary.

I agree, don't have to do it at PML. You can get your own engine oil & buy the filter from Eng Soon and save quite a bit of money by getting it changed outside.

Shev;923832 said:
Get some servicing credits and go through the vehicle handover checklist carefully.

Do observe the engine sound for abnormalities, check tyre pressure if possible.

Thanks for the advice!

Back