Case of My E90 (320i) Disappearing Oil - 1 liter every 2000++km!!

Re: Case of My E90 (320i) Disappearing Oil - 1 liter every 2000++km!!

lkm;1016093 said:
Glad to see another happy customer! LOL!

HI mcqueen & lkm,

Able to PM me the WS in JB,please. Is the boss name Francis? I have faced the same problem.

Thanks

My 2006 E90 has 10 months left till COE expiry. It is consuming 1 liter of engine oil every 2 weeks (roughly 800 to 1000 km). The engine bay is dry. I have white smoke coming out when ramming the accelerator. I understand that the cost to repair will be more than $1000+ even if I go to JB.

I am prepared to keep topping up engine oil every 2 weeks. Total costs will be roughly 20 liters of engine oil. I am presently using Mobil 1 0W-40 which is quite expensive. I was at Giant and saw that they have a promotion on Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 for $39.90 for a 4 liter bottle. On the back, it says BMW LL-01. I have a few questions:

1) Is Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 approved for BMW E90?
2) Can I mix Shell 5W-40 with Mobil 0W-40?
3) What are the differences between using 5W-40 to 0W-40 especially in an old engine that has sludge built-up and disappearing engine oil?
4) What possible problems could arise within the next 10 months if my plan is to just top up engine oil?
5) Any other suggestions and advice are welcome. Thanks.

2015-10-14%2021.57.13.jpg

lkm;1010375 said:
Huh? Why??

Anyway, it took me almost the whole day. Sent car in morning, collected in late afternoon / early evening...

PM sent!

My e90 2006 model consuming 1ltr per 700km , i think there are no oil seals in my engine. wl get it fixed and update.

starwars;1127873 said:
My 2006 E90 has 10 months left till COE expiry. It is consuming 1 liter of engine oil every 2 weeks (roughly 800 to 1000 km). The engine bay is dry. I have white smoke coming out when ramming the accelerator. I understand that the cost to repair will be more than $1000+ even if I go to JB.

I am prepared to keep topping up engine oil every 2 weeks. Total costs will be roughly 20 liters of engine oil. I am presently using Mobil 1 0W-40 which is quite expensive. I was at Giant and saw that they have a promotion on Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 for $39.90 for a 4 liter bottle. On the back, it says BMW LL-01. I have a few questions:

3) What are the differences between using 5W-40 to 0W-40 especially in an old engine that has sludge built-up and disappearing engine oil?
4) What possible problems could arise within the next 10 months if my plan is to just top up engine oil?

Everyone is having the same problems, you will find lots of posts here. E90 320i engine is a PoS and will leak oil from every possible cavity and start burning oil internally.
There are two reasons why it could be burning oil - oil separator (CCV) or head gasket and valves. First one is cheap to replace second one is a major job.
If you only have 8 months left on the CoE and don't drive 5k/month I would go with the refill option.
You can mix the oil - modern car engines, even the crappy BMW one can run pretty much on any oil as long as you don't use olive oil. Get a few of the cheap Giant 4 liter bottles and be done with it.
It's not going to make a big difference, may burn a bit more as time passes but it's not damaging anything else apart from the environment.
CoE has come down quite a bit - time to look for a new car. Just make sure you make sure you don't spend any more money on cars with carp engines....

Benno;1127882 said:
My e90 2006 model consuming 1ltr per 700km , i think there are no oil seals in my engine. wl get it fixed and update.

Best to do the maths: you can spend $10-20 on engine oil for the next x months or spend north of $1000 for a new headgasket (if it is not the CCV.

martinsin;1127895 said:
Everyone is having the same problems, you will find lots of posts here. E90 320i engine is a PoS and will leak oil from every possible cavity and start burning oil internally.
There are two reasons why it could be burning oil - oil separator (CCV) or head gasket and valves. First one is cheap to replace second one is a major job.
If you only have 8 months left on the CoE and don't drive 5k/month I would go with the refill option.
You can mix the oil - modern car engines, even the crappy BMW one can run pretty much on any oil as long as you don't use olive oil. Get a few of the cheap Giant 4 liter bottles and be done with it.
It's not going to make a big difference, may burn a bit more as time passes but it's not damaging anything else apart from the environment.
CoE has come down quite a bit - time to look for a new car. Just make sure you make sure you don't spend any more money on cars with carp engines....

Thanks for your reply. As I was waiting for a confirmation regarding mixing the oil, the engine oil light came on while I was driving. In the end, I had to hunt down a nearby esso station and spent another $30 on a one liter Mobil 1 0W-40. I just had an oil sump gasket and flywheel oil seal replacement a few months ago. So, the problem must be the head gasket and valves. What is the cost to get this fix by workshop in JB with stocklist parts? $1,000 and above? If yes, I am better off stocking up on the cheap Shell oil available at Giant now.

starwars;1127907 said:
Thanks for your reply. As I was waiting for a confirmation regarding mixing the oil, the engine oil light came on while I was driving. In the end, I had to hunt down a nearby esso station and spent another $30 on a one liter Mobil 1 0W-40. I just had an oil sump gasket and flywheel oil seal replacement a few months ago. So, the problem must be the head gasket and valves. What is the cost to get this fix by workshop in JB with stocklist parts? $1,000 and above? If yes, I am better off stocking up on the cheap Shell oil available at Giant now.

we had the same replacements on ours when it was leaking. But internal consumption could be CCV or valves/head gasket. CCV replacement is not so expensive but for the "engine overhaul" Mr. Teh from BVO quoted around $2000 including parts.

Never explored the JB option but even if it is half price it's still a lot of engine oil.....

Not too familiar about BMW engines compared to the true gurus on the forums but I would probably just get a couple of tests done to narrow the problem down.

I think if the head gasket has a problem - you will feel more NVH than just engine oil loss. A leak down test plus a benchmark on the pressure should tell what is going on with your head gasket.

If the valve seals got problems - that can be tested as well. Saw before that the valve seal's job is to let just enough EO to trickle down the valve stems. If it's worn then the EO would be flowing like Niagra falls then a lot of EO loss would happen.

Don't think JB is any cheaper these days ....

Just my 2 cents of thoughts ....

Benno;1127882 said:

Hi Benno, my car is also down to about 1 ltr per 700km. Have you gotten yours fixed? What is the damage? Can PM me the cost and workshop contact? Thanks.

E90 - 320i is known for drinking engine oil. Most workshops listed in this forum can help u with this issue.

Hi, me having the same problem too. Just service my car early last month and beginning this week EO indicator light up. It shows 1/4 left. Went back to my WS and can't find any leak as they change all oil seal last month also. They suggested TOP overhaul. My car left with 1 year 10 months, don't think want to spent so much to do a TOP overhaul. Pls help pm me a WS to do valve seal changed. JB WS also can. Thank u.

starwars;1127873 said:

1. Your user manual would state the engine oil to be used, ie 5w-40, 0w-40 etc

2. Little difference between the two. The first number represents the lubricant’s viscosity under lower temperatures, the lower the first number, the thinner it is at low temperatures. The second number represents the oil's viscosity under high temperatures, the higher the number, the thicker the oil will stay at high temperatures.

3. No one will know your car condition better than yourself. Your usage, style of driving, maintenance done etc. If you want to play it safe, following car manual recommendation would be best.

4. Unlikely to have any issues as long as there is sufficient engine oil. Most will just top up since it 10 months to go. However, the white smoke when accelerating doesn't seem too ideal a situation to be in.

If you have only a few months remaining until COE expiry, you should just keep topping up oil. Mobil 1 is quite cheap if you buy online. Little red car sells a quart of $14.90.
If you want to change the valve cover gasket, any of the cheap shops can do it easily. Such as Sung Beng or 1st Auto at Circuit Road.
Even valve stem seals would be easy for these regular shops to change.

I got it fixed in JB for $700, i changd cam chain guide, v/v cvr gasket,vaccuum sucked all a/con gas and filled new refrigerant too. my no.97453930 watsapp me

I recommend not to do in JB. Went to a recommended shop, realized that while they fix the current problem they damage other parts making you a recurring customer. Didn't realize it till much later went back 5x. Now I just go back to sg workshop pay a bit more but confirm no such hanky panky.

nivlac;1131830 said:
I recommend not to do in JB. Went to a recommended shop, realized that while they fix the current problem they damage other parts making you a recurring customer. Didn't realize it till much later went back 5x. Now I just go back to sg workshop pay a bit more but confirm no such hanky panky.
Shop name?

I got it fxd in jb fr $700. My watsap 97453930

It used to be 1ltr of oil top up every 6000km. Then it came down to 5000km. Then 4000km. Then 3000km. Now it's 1ltr of engine oil top up required every 2xxx km!!! Buay tahan! Plus with current COE prices, cannot buy new car leh! Sianz!

Workshop recommended engine valve seals change. Parts are cheap - I think less than $2 per seal (there are total of 16qty for the 320i). But labour is the expensive deal - paid about SGD400 in all for the seals change. But at least for now, car feels better to drive with, and the oil drinking has so far stopped.... Will report again at the next oil change interval. So my E90's no more thirsty now!

It used to be 1ltr of oil top up every 6000km. Then it came down to 5000km. Then 4000km. Then 3000km. Now it's 1ltr of engine oil top up required every 2xxx km!!! Buay tahan! Plus with current COE prices, cannot buy new car leh! Sianz!

Workshop recommended engine valve seals change. Parts are cheap - I think less than $2 per seal (there are total of 16qty for the 320i). But labour is the expensive deal - paid about SGD400 in all for the seals change. But at least for now, car feels better to drive with, and the oil drinking has so far stopped.... Will report again at the next oil change interval. So my E90's no more thirsty now!

Hi bro, dont mind sharing the contact and address of the workshop? Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8may88vip
Back