• Classifieds Rules

For Sellers - Item Listing Requirements:
    1. List your price. *
    2. Show/attach images/photos of item. *
    3. Provide clear contact instructions (List phone number, email or PM).

*Required.

4. Private Sales Only.
    5. Relevant items only.
    6. No Indirect Advertising / Promoting Of Other Services and Companies
    7. Only members with 20 posts and more can start new threads
    8. No Thread Hijacking. Start your own Topic.
    9. Post only 1 Topic per sale. No cross-posting in other forums. No bumping of Topics more than once a day.
    10. Close your Topic after sale has been completed. (Click 'Administrative' on top of your thread for closing options)

We will remove threads if they do not list the above requirements.

For Buyers:
    1. Caveat Emptor - Before buying from user, do your homework. Check out the person's posting history, number of posts etc.
    2. This is a service we provide free and for the members convenience - we're not responsible for any deals gone bad.

For everyone else:
    1. No OT. They will be deleted. If you continue despite us warning you, we will ban you from the classifieds completely.
    2. Report all suspicious sellers. If you've seen or come across them from other boards/forums - do report them immediately - it will help everyone here a great deal.

Report all bad experiences (for both sellers/buyers) on the Buyer/Sellers forum.

Buying a BMW in Singapore

jcc

Hi,

I could be relocating there soon and have no idea how much a BMW X5 costs in Singapore ... compared to typical Toyota Camry for example for benchmarking purposes. Any advice ?

Also, if the 7 seater 07 X5 will take a while ... any idea what's a good 7 seater in same class ? XC90 ? Q7 ? do you have Lincoln Navigator/Ford Expedition there ?

Thanks !

Re: Buying a BMW in Singapore

X5 in Singapore is easily 2+ times more than a Camry

Welcome to the most outrageous place on earth to own a car, esp the BMW.

Sorry, I forgot to ask ... how much would a Camry be there in USD ? An X5 here costs like 4x a Camry.

Happily own an E46 and an E39 but family is growing so looking for a more practical car when I get there, ie, 6-7 seaters ...

a Camry is about USD54,000 here in Singapore

You can find car prices (in SGD) here:
http://www.mta.org.sg/documents/PriceList_007.pdf

And you can find USD-SGD exchange rates here:
Exchange Rates Table for Singapore Dollar, Singapore

The car price list is fairly accurate, but not entirely so. But the deviations are shockingly large - for initial planning, it should suffice. Be prepared for what would seem ludicrous prices for cars - Singapore has a rather high vehicle tax/duty. Also, we are unique in that one needs a certificate of entitlement (COE) for each car one owns (it's one of the ways we control the car population here). Details on owning a car can be found here (road tax, registration, etc etc):
ONE.MOTORING - Home

jcc;162248 said:
...looking for a more practical car when I get there, ie, 6-7 seaters...

Guys, I'm not quite familiar with SUVs and MPVs, correct me if I'm wrong - here's a list of what I think are 6/7-seaters available here:

Audi Q7
New BMW X5 (coming soon, but dun ask me when...)
Honda Odyssey
Hyundai Santa Fe
Kia Carnival
Mercedes Benz R-Class
Mercedes Benz E-Class Estate (with optional single folding seat in boot)
Mitsubishi Grandis
Opel Zafira
Renault Espace
Renault Grand Scenic
Ssangyong Stavic
Toyota Fortuner
Toyota Picnic
Toyota Previa
VW Touran
Volvo XC90

thanks Breyton ... very helpful ... and surprising ! i thought COE's cost a lot ... the cars simply cost a lot already ! with the money you spent on the Z4, it could get you an AM V8 somewhere else ... and where I live, you get a free 320d to go with that !

now time for me to check out what seems to be few choices for 6-7 seaters like the XC90 ... from the list, i reckon singapore doesn't seem to get the big suv's much like Navigators, Escalades, etc...

JCC, welcome & I'm sure you will enjoy everything here except for the weather (if you prefer cooler climates like me & the humidity sucks) & price of cars!

Anyway, I don't think it's that peole don't like to have Escalades or Hummers here, just that topping up at the gas station will probably made them roll out the red-carpet & VVIP card for you given the fuel consumption ... the U.S. gas prices have been very low for the longest time & it's only after Katrina that it adjusted to world free market prices that pumps in Singapore charges all these while!

If you have a pet dog or two &/or kids with lotsa gear to lug around mostly, think the better option is to get a Japanese MPV from Toyota, Honda or Nissan (all at S$100k = US$65k& below) . If you have married with no kids, perhaps Volvo XC90 (around S$165k = US$110k) is good choice. If you are married with kids, wifey ferrying kids to school & you to work, hmm, you gotta spend $$$ to get a car for you to zoom around (unless you take the subway or cab which is OK if you stay in central-district/town area) & another one for the family .... be prepared to fork out US$125-200k for the 2 car garage like back home in the U.S.!

Oh b4 I forget, also depend on what kinda package you on ..

Housing + car + allowances or just plain cash & up to you to spend it ...

IMHO, in the past, car allowances especially if you work in a big financial institution or MNC used to be a hard allowance that you take/spend no matter what & you are floored by depreciaton that you can sell back to firm / or dealer that the HR dept. ties up with ..

Then go buy that Porsche Cayenne TurboS !!! + whatever else you fancy ... plus M3 & M5 & fill up that garage since you don't keep that allowance & spend it to the last cent!

But if you get cash & you keep whatever you don't spend ....

Go Japanese .... Toyotas, Nissans & Hondas .... best in keeping there value if you need to sell after a number of years & head back home or to another posting out of Singapore ... unless of cos' you still can't resist & want to pay for a BMW E90 or E92 a sum that will easily get you a Ferrari, Lambo or Aston Martin in U.S. or Europe.

All Americans & Europeans after stints in Singapore that I know ... they appreciate the car-money equation in putting them up for a super-car when they go home & they all are driving their super-cars with relish now :)

jcc;162282 said:
thanks Breyton ... very helpful ... and surprising ! i thought COE's cost a lot ... the cars simply cost a lot already ! with the money you spent on the Z4, it could get you an AM V8 somewhere else ...

... from the list, i reckon singapore doesn't seem to get the big suv's much like Navigators, Escalades, etc...

You're welcome - hope you will enjoy your stint here :)

COEs were exorbitant some years back - peaking at over S$60,000! Given that COEs for company-registered cars cost double, it cost companies over S$120,000 just to get a piece of paper allowing them to own the car! You can imagine how 'many' company registrations there were back then... :D

Market forces (and some sense!) have since brought it down to more palatable levels. Back then a simple 1.6l Civic cost in the region of S$120,000 to S$130,000. These days it's around half that price (the import duties have also been reduced). So you can thank your lucky stars you didn't have to come here during those times!

And yes, we do not get them humongous SUVs and trucks here. Like Spyglass mentioned, fuel is not cheap here! Although I think some dealers may entertain requests for special indents - you can try your luck! Just keep in mind that we can't yet buy private-registered diesel cars.

Oh, I didn't get my car brand-new, so it's not quite an AM V8 'exchange'... More like two brand-new M3s with a bit of spare change where you come from! :yummie:

jcc;162282 said:
i thought COE's cost a lot ... the cars simply cost a lot already ! with the money you spent on the Z4, it could get you an AM V8 somewhere else ... and where I live, you get a free 320d to go with that !

Free MATA-CHIA? :furious: :furious: :furious:

Ahbengdriver;162413 said:
Free MATA-CHIA? :furious: :furious: :furious:

Our mata-chia is diesel meh? :confused:

jcc, i tend to agee with spyglass. be sure of your relocation package here before deciding on which car to get. My french friend who relocated here is now driving a Nissan Priaire for that price, he could be driving my X5 back home.

surely when you get here, the guys on this forum will be able to recommend you with more details. I think some of the guys here would know some car dealers (new and used) and they can recommend you to them.

cheers and welcome to singapore!

hi guys,

sorry to hijack this thread, i'm new to sg too, having just moved here 5 months ago.

i just bought a x3 over the weekend. i'm having second thoughts about it now since fellow posters here mentioned the high petrol costs.

can i ask, how much would my full tank be? mines a 2.5 L

any tips on care of the car?

i think i still have time to change my purchase to the new coupe, anu inputs?

thanks and cheers

bullgod5,

Welcome to Singapore. The cost of a full tank for your X3 should be in the region of S$ 100 - 120 before discount (based on Shell 98). Have you taken delivery of the X3?

no i havent taken delivey, put a down payment of 10 grand. still time to change?

if you don't need the space/funtionality of an x3...get the coupe/saloon anytime

I think you can still change. You should check with your SE to see, but do so soon since they have to place orders/book existing stocks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
777kingcc
Back