Buying a 2nd Hand 3 Series

Re: Buying a 2nd Hand 3 Series

winartotan said:
Hi guys,

is there an external workshop that you can recommend to do the disgnostic test? I am also planning to get a 2nd hand 3 series and from the posts that i have read so far, looks like i have to send the car to at least 2 places to inspect :

1) STA/VICOM
2) External workshop with diagnosic test kit / BMW

Also, do you know of any good second hand car dealers out there for the 3 series?

Thanks!

External Shops to do diagnostic test...
I know BVO has it, Juzz4Cars should hv it too

Good 2nd hand car dealers...Is there any? :argue:

TripleM said:
External Shops to do diagnostic test...
I know BVO has it, Juzz4Cars should hv it too

Good 2nd hand car dealers...Is there any? :argue:

yah man... dont know if there are any left...

Also, do you guys know the month and year from which the E46 came with factory fitted M3 bodykits?

probably the last batch of 318i/320i sports edition sold... higher omv than the exclusive or others...

winartotan said:
Hi guys,

is there an external workshop that you can recommend to do the disgnostic test? I am also planning to get a 2nd hand 3 series and from the posts that i have read so far, looks like i have to send the car to at least 2 places to inspect :

1) STA/VICOM
2) External workshop with diagnosic test kit / BMW

Also, do you know of any good second hand car dealers out there for the 3 series?

Thanks!

I got mine looked at by Bernard at BVO.

Just came back drom J4C to have my new ride (2003 320IA) checked out.

John plugged in diagnostic computer, checked suspension, brakes, chasis, took it out for a long (15 mins) HARD drive that scared the shit out of the car dealer, haha...

He told me exactly what I need to do, which is brake discs annd pads, control arm bushings and one stabiliser rod. All wear and tear and to be expected. Otherwise, it's in tip-top condition (afterall only 31,000 km) with no accident.

I bought the car based on that.

Very thorough, very accurate. Can't be happier with my new car and J4C.

chickenbackside said:
Just came back drom J4C to have my new ride (2003 320IA) checked out.

John plugged in diagnostic computer, checked suspension, brakes, chasis, took it out for a long (15 mins) HARD drive that scared the shit out of the car dealer, haha...

He told me exactly what I need to do, which is brake discs annd pads, control arm bushings and one stabiliser rod. All wear and tear and to be expected. Otherwise, it's in tip-top condition (afterall only 31,000 km) with no accident.

I bought the car based on that.

Very thorough, very accurate. Can't be happier with my new car and J4C.
chickenbackside..what is the price you paid for this 2003 320!A ride? I was told the new E90 320IA are now going for SG129K. Unless the price differential is great enough, might just settle for the E90 instead. I am seeing lots of 2003 318IA asking ridiculous prices of about SG103K to 110K...I will not consider them at all. Thanks

E90 320 has a 4-cylinder engine that's sounds like a sewing machine. To me, the M54 engine is a real gem worth paying a premium for.

Anyway, mine's registered on the 26th Dec 2002. So it's ALMOST 2003. I paid $87 000.

I was very lucky to have found my ride. It's the only one that I've seen that had an asking price of $89 000. Most people are asking $95-98k for the same age car. There's one private seller, also from this forum that's asking around $87k for his. It has a nice funky colour and a nice number plate with the usual mods (18" rims, lowered suspension, ICE...). However the OMV and COE are lower at $37k and $24k respectively and mileage is 60 500kms. My OMV is close to $45k and COE is $31k and mileage is 31 800kms.

Here's the link: http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/info-n0wiwa-1000.html

31 000kms on the clock was a very big attraction for me. It's under average mileage for a nearly 3-year old car. Which was confirmed by the mechanic I sent it to for checking. He told me some tell tale signs were brake pads were sticking to one position of the discs. The interior was just flawless. Even the usual scratched up cigarette lighter cover was in good order. Having some warranty left was also a good thing as proven today when my driver window regulator just konked out and there's a jerkiness that some good members here have suggested that it needs a software update. All done coming Monday at PML for free.

Anyway, the place that I bought the car from wasn't one of those used car supermarts. It was bought at an old-school kinda car dealer place. It was run-down looking (cheap rent), hence can have lower mark up. I also did alot of homework when it came to how to calculate depreciation and scrap values of the car. So the salesguy knew he couldn't bluff me about anything. He just left me alone to inspect the car. He was a nice enough chap who let me test drive on the expressway. I went to look at other cars and went back to him 2 days later and asked for a test drive again. This time, the drive was even longer and harder. No problems, he just let me do what I needed to do. Knocked $2k off his asking price and deal was done.

In the end, after doing the paperwork, he showed me how much he had bought it for, and true enough, his profit margin was pretty small. But that will give you an idea of how much dealers get a totally stock, low mileage, PML, one owner, Dec 2002, face lifted 320IA for.

The big carmarts' margins are easily well over $10k per car. Factor in the commission they also get from insurance and loan companies and car exporters... it's a lot. So the lesson was, don't judge a place by how it looks! Also do your homework to the point where you have all the formulas in your head and no one can tell you something's A when it's B.

If you have a car to trade in, also make sure you know what your car is worth sold, scrapped or exported. Knowlege of what money you can get back from your old ride is also essential as they will makan you wherever they can.

That's all I can think of.

Sorry for the long post. Good luck searching!

Thanks for your post. You got a great price for this E46. I have been scouting around and dealers are calling 95K to 98K. I would offer 90K before even test driving them and discount it depending on the condition and mileage. I work the OMV and COE value like you and it seeems best to drive till scrap as trying to scrap it at the 5th year (130%OMV for ARF) cost alot in that 2 odd years of driving. An average depreciation of 9K to 10K is expected. I have seen a couple 2003/4 E46 320I SE and they are currently at 110K and above.

If you do come across a E46 at a reasonable price preferbaly 2003, I am still keen.

Thanks and Happy Driving the UDM.

Hi, I'm also scouting around for a preowned 3 series, contemplating on 318 or 320. Have an eye for a 2001 318, with depre 8.2K, is it reasonable? Concerned also with the maintenance, any good workshops to recommend?

Selling my Original Radial Styling 32 Used 16" Rims

Hi Bimmer lovers out there. Thank you for the advice. Got my dream car liao!

Just upgraded my rims and so need to let go the above. 2 Year old but in good condition. Tyres quite used. 3 at 40% and 1 left with 10%. Pls sms me at 8100 3757 if keen.

Cheers,

vintantc

Selling my Original Radial Styling 32 Used 16" Rims

Sorry! Forgot to mention that is for E46. Attached picture.

qwert said:
Hi, I'm also scouting around for a preowned 3 series, contemplating on 318 or 320. Have an eye for a 2001 318, with depre 8.2K, is it reasonable? Concerned also with the maintenance, any good workshops to recommend?

nope, a pal of mine recently bought a 1 owner low mileage mid 2002 E39 with an annual depreciation of approx $9k hence, $8.2k for a 318 is a tad high IMHO

I used to have a 1997 328 Coupe when I lived in Europe. Now I am in Singapore, and Frankly cannot afford the new 330 (either sedan or coupe for that matter). So when it came down to buying a used 3 series, I decided on the 318. Ofcourse the reason to by a Bimmer is to get access to their wonderful 6 cylinder engines. So now I have a 4 cyl Bimmer and frankly Honda may be better at making those. But honestly, where in Singapore do you really need the additional power ? What I'd have preferred, but cannot find here in Singapore is a manual transmission.

Hi guys.

My dad bought a E46 320i for close to 103K. The condition of the car was immaculate and we thought it was a good deal.

Several weeks later, my sister complained that the steering wheel kept veering to the left when she accelerated. It was an intermitten problem that came up sometimes only. Then one day while my dad was driving it the right wheel experienced insurmountable resistance and white smoke began to come out of the wheel. My dad quickily brought it to PML to get it checked and it was found that the brake pads of the wheel was locked onto the discs. They fixed it and we figured that was causing the poor FC of around 13L/100km.

However, a few months from fixing the car... We're still getting about 12.8L/100km. Is this normal FC, and what should we do to make sure this isn't a car that has gotten into an accident before, or maybe the engine has been over-revved? I guess this is the problem with second-hand cars - you'll have yourself thinking always what the previous owner has done to your baby.

Mileage: 50 000KM

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Bought mine a Sep 02 (318I) E46 for dep 8k/yr. Mileage at 48k reasonably gd.
Drove for 1 week liaoz.... No problems/regrets. My new BABY!....

*** I would say a dep of 7.8 - 8.2k per year for a E46 318i is just abt right!***

* 8.5k to 9k for a 320i would be fine too.* *Good luck!*

Cheers!

I got my ride at ~$12/yr dep back in '02 :(

But still enjoying every sec of it eventhough only 4 cyc......Esp when i floored the bugger during recent trip up north.... Shiok

Hi fellow Beemers,
How much do u think is the fair price for a 2.5 to 3 years old 320?:helpp!:

Hi,

Got my 318i (Sep 2001-old PARF system) at paper value + 13kS$ from Commonwealth area; mil is 75000+km. The depreciation worked out to be 7.8kS$/yr.

Was actually down there to book a CL7R from the same agent but was swayed away at the 11th hour after trying out this car. The agent was generous enough to change all 4 brakes disc to new ones as well.

chickenbackside said:
E90 320 has a 4-cylinder engine that's sounds like a sewing machine. To me, the M54 engine is a real gem worth paying a premium for.

Anyway, mine's registered on the 26th Dec 2002. So it's ALMOST 2003. I paid $87 000.

I was very lucky to have found my ride. It's the only one that I've seen that had an asking price of $89 000. Most people are asking $95-98k for the same age car. There's one private seller, also from this forum that's asking around $87k for his. It has a nice funky colour and a nice number plate with the usual mods (18" rims, lowered suspension, ICE...). However the OMV and COE are lower at $37k and $24k respectively and mileage is 60 500kms. My OMV is close to $45k and COE is $31k and mileage is 31 800kms.

Here's the link: http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/info-n0wiwa-1000.html

31 000kms on the clock was a very big attraction for me. It's under average mileage for a nearly 3-year old car. Which was confirmed by the mechanic I sent it to for checking. He told me some tell tale signs were brake pads were sticking to one position of the discs. The interior was just flawless. Even the usual scratched up cigarette lighter cover was in good order. Having some warranty left was also a good thing as proven today when my driver window regulator just konked out and there's a jerkiness that some good members here have suggested that it needs a software update. All done coming Monday at PML for free.

Anyway, the place that I bought the car from wasn't one of those used car supermarts. It was bought at an old-school kinda car dealer place. It was run-down looking (cheap rent), hence can have lower mark up. I also did alot of homework when it came to how to calculate depreciation and scrap values of the car. So the salesguy knew he couldn't bluff me about anything. He just left me alone to inspect the car. He was a nice enough chap who let me test drive on the expressway. I went to look at other cars and went back to him 2 days later and asked for a test drive again. This time, the drive was even longer and harder. No problems, he just let me do what I needed to do. Knocked $2k off his asking price and deal was done.

In the end, after doing the paperwork, he showed me how much he had bought it for, and true enough, his profit margin was pretty small. But that will give you an idea of how much dealers get a totally stock, low mileage, PML, one owner, Dec 2002, face lifted 320IA for.

The big carmarts' margins are easily well over $10k per car. Factor in the commission they also get from insurance and loan companies and car exporters... it's a lot. So the lesson was, don't judge a place by how it looks! Also do your homework to the point where you have all the formulas in your head and no one can tell you something's A when it's B.

If you have a car to trade in, also make sure you know what your car is worth sold, scrapped or exported. Knowlege of what money you can get back from your old ride is also essential as they will makan you wherever they can.

That's all I can think of.

Sorry for the long post. Good luck searching!

yo chickenbackside, i'm driving the e90 320i for a month now and it certainly doesn't sound like a sewing machine. in fact, i thought the driving experience was very good and the engine is not noisy at all, a bit too quiet i thought. no doubt the 6potter is better, being smoother and has more oomph, but i think the 4potter is more than good enough for me. and to pay an additional 20 - 30k for the 325i, for me the choice is clear. i love the 6pot engine but not enough to pay that much more for it.

Hi. saw a 2002 end 318 for sale in sg carmart with GPS ask around $85,000.
Have not seen any car equipped with GPS for this model. Is that a parallel importer or the previous owner install with after market set. What about the reliability??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hema
Back