Buying 2nd hand BMW

Re: Buying 2nd hand BMW

My father-in-law drives the E60 and I think it's more spacious than the F10... and the E60 is a good car. But I prefer the look of the F10. Far sexier :)

no doubt about the looks (sorry e60 owners) but i doubt the e60 is more spacious than f10 as i have been on e60 on several occasion as a rear passenger, i tot the space was rather miserable for such a big car. maybe the front passenger has super long legs, i do not know.

Ahwing;705307 said:
no doubt about the looks (sorry e60 owners) but i doubt the e60 is more spacious than f10 as i have been on e60 on several occasion as a rear passenger, i tot the space was rather miserable for such a big car. maybe the front passenger has super long legs, i do not know.

I've sat in both the front and back of both cars. Perhaps it's just psychological that the E60 looks bigger which results in me thinking that it's more spacious.

My SE also told me that the F10 is more spacious than the E60.

Anyway, can't complain. I love the F10.

I'm considering (for roughly but not exactly same price levels) either a 2nd hand C180/200 or 520/523/525. Perhaps 3 or 4 yrs years. Do anybody have majors after 3 years of driving with either these cars? I don't want to be stuck on NSHW and no help or faced with massive repair/maintenance bills later. Thanks for any advice. Much appreciated.

Ahem brand new cars can break down on the 1st day of collection leh, and 10yr old COE can go to Thailand and back with no problems. It's not the age per se, it's how the owner maintains it. And there's AAS if u break down in Malaysia

Hmmm ... Fair point. So this means that as long as you do a good chck on the car and it's servicing history (if available), then either merc or beemer are equally good. Then of course style and handling is of personal preference. Ya?

Many go for quick check or change of this and that before long road trips just in case. So even if you have non problems with your car, just pop in to your workshop and say u going to Malaysia long road trip and they will know wat to look out for..but if you pop into PML, they may ask you to change car. Standard

MW;706181 said:
Many go for quick check or change of this and that before long road trips just in case. So even if you have non problems with your car, just pop in to your workshop and say u going to Malaysia long road trip and they will know wat to look out for..but if you pop into PML, they may ask you to change car. Standard

Yah... I can attest to this. I sent my E90 for a regular check-up. PML said that my brake pads were thinning but not serious.

When I just blurted out that I'll be driving the car to KL, suddenly PML said that there was a problem with so many more things and suggested that I change this and that, and then cautioned me that if I didn't... the car would have problems like smoke'lah, fire'lah, nuclear explosion'lah.

And... no, I didn't do as PML suggested.

Hi, guru , can I ask your opinion? I am planing to purchase a second hand 523i or 520i. there is two option here I am not sure how to choose.

1, 01/2007 523i black color low milelage only 30k. car beautiful. non E-gear. from dealer priced 96,000

2, 04/2009 520i white color high milelage near 80k. still got warranty . from direct owner priced 115,000

if you are the buyer, how to choose? thanks!

my few cents here for those planning to buy 2nd hand...

i just got a 2009 E92 last month... decision criteria included:

1. actual test drive, slow u-turns and fast turns listening out for 'strange' noises... (not that i'm an expert but i figure any funky sounds can't be good!? and i've heard those on rental cars so it must mean something... ).

2. STA or equivalent inspection - insist the seller pay for this; B and above preferred.

3. I had PML service history so that helps.

4. if you can, bring someone experienced to help look at body panels... you can spot panel replacements, welding joints etc which may indicate major accidents. but usually the inspection will also surface these...

well so far so good, let's see how it goes from here!

Re: Buying 2nd hand BMW with low COE

hi

any idea whats the pro and cons if buying a 2nd hand car with low COE as compared to one that is high? For example, cars registered in 2009 esp in Feb, the coe are like 5-7k. And of coz those cars are cheaper as compared to cars with coe of 20+k.

would like to hear from you guys whats ur opinion? worth buying a car with low coe (so pay lesser for car)? or better to buy those with higher coe?

well, when u are selling the next time round, the higher coe value cars would be slightly more easier to get rid of if assuming the resale price between the same year model (but different coe value) don't variate much, eg 70k for a car with 20k coe value VS 75k for a similar car with 35k coe.
buyers will calculate the parf difference between these models VS the price difference.

but then again, alot of cars with high COE tend to try their luck to sell high high, end up get stuck.

even if its a low coe car, if u can get it at a reasonably much lower price, it should be worth considering too
best thing is to do an excel and do a side by side comparison.
this is only a dollar n cents comparison though, not taking into consideration the condition of the car, mileage etc.

Depreciation is just a theoretical value.
Dealers can even play with it.
Most ppl will normally, when buying cars, compare with its peers.
I think the more notable factors would be resale price, car condition, mileage, parf, Coe.
The parf, Coe are figures that can ascertained and not plucked from the sky.
Once u get these figures, u will be comparing the price vs these values difference vs the number of years left or what u can get back at the end of its 10 yr life

sszone;723514 said:
well, when u are selling the next time round, the higher coe value cars would be slightly more easier to get rid of if assuming the resale price between the same year model (but different coe value) don't variate much, eg 70k for a car with 20k coe value VS 75k for a similar car with 35k coe.
buyers will calculate the parf difference between these models VS the price difference.

but then again, alot of cars with high COE tend to try their luck to sell high high, end up get stuck.

even if its a low coe car, if u can get it at a reasonably much lower price, it should be worth considering too
best thing is to do an excel and do a side by side comparison.
this is only a dollar n cents comparison though, not taking into consideration the condition of the car, mileage etc.

PARF is affected by OMV, not COE value of the car.

If you intend to drive till it's end of life (10yrs), then no diff between high or low COE. Coz COE value depreciates linearly until end of life. In fact, if you deciding to drive till 10yrs, low COE will result in lowered depreciation.

In fact, if you can reasonably estimate when you'd scrap the car, you can find out it's (MINIMUM) "paper" value here:
https://vrl.lta.gov.sg/lta/vrl/action/pubfunc?ID=EnquireRebateBeforeDeReg

The "paper" value is the minimum guaranteed amount of $$$ you can get back fm garhment. Note that this does not include it's "body" value - which will add on to it's "paper" value.

is there anyway to change the wood trimmings ? happened to chance on one of the postings where a bro compared the difference.. if possible, whats the dmg like?

Hello, just bought a 2008 BMW 523i (LCI) from a trusted family friend. Nice chap sold the car to me at trade in price (less $20k) for my B'day present. *against my will, my parents settled the deal on my behalf* So I guess I was kinda "jolted" into the BMW club suddenly ;) Hi guys..

The problem is that guy (in his 50s) somehow is from the generation of weird colors. My car came in MAROON. WADDA******

I can hardly bear to face it, lest drive it out. I'm still driving my old car around till I get that "new" guy fixed.

Anyone knows where I can get a decently cheap re-spray of the entire car (black) ? I stay near Clementi.

Welcome bro! Ahhhh such luck to be "forced" to drive a BMW:liar: I have to scrimp and save and spend hours convincing that I'm getting the BM for the sake of the family withs it's good drive and excellent safety standards haha!

Anyway chk out the exterior section for some reputed painters, some glowing reviews so u have a pretty good benchmark to start off with.

Happy hunting!

Pauly523;791046 said:
I can hardly bear to face it, lest drive it out. I'm still driving my old car around till I get that "new" guy fixed..

Romance... takes time to blossom. Give Time Time.

Unless the paintwork is in bad bad condition, I feel that it doesn't make sense to spend 2 to 3K to respray it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jilisfyi
Back