BMW 7sp M-DCT with Divelogic mini review

eggz

After driving a M-DCT car for a couple of weeks, here's some feedback, BTW, my previous ride had a 6pd auto and I've never driven any of the BMW SMG cars.

Ok, the positives first:

- In the lower shift speed settings (4 and below), whether in D (auto mode) or S (manual shift), the gear changes are as you'll expect from a dual clutch, extremely smooth and fast. In D you basically don't feel the cogs changing, just a continuous surge of drive. In the higher settings, eg. 4 or 5, there is a slight forward jerk as gears change, though it does seem a bit artificial.

- The D mode, the Drivelogic software does do a good job of mimicking a slushbox, with pretty intelligent kickdown based on throttle input. There is a creep mode for very low speed and reverse, it works most of the time, but there are times when the car will still slide backwards.

Now the negatives

- On the very first day, the car stalled TWICE. Both times at low speed, basically driving in the carpark. Based on what I've read on other forums, this seems to be quite a common problem for cars with M-DCT when they are brand new i.e. during the early run-in period. Since that first day, it has not happend again, so it does seem like a run-in only issue. Apparently there will be a software update coming in mid-Sept 2008, that might address this issue.

- Depending on how you use the thottle when in lower gears (3 and lower), drive can be rather jerky, especially when the engine is cold. This is something I've not experienced with a slushbox.

- Coming to a halt at traffic lights, depending on speed or gear, there is also some occasional jerkiness.

Up to this point, no regrets with getting this tranny, in everyday driving, it's almost no different from a regular auto box, very easy to live with. In sports/manual mode, it's very fast and direct.

Next thing is to try it on a track, especially the downshifts. Will update later.
Any questions, just shoot

Re: BMW 7sp M-DCT with Divelogic mini review

there were reports that, on dual clutch cars including the Mitsu Evo X SST and Golf GTI, on the simulation of slushbox creep, especially uphill, the clutch slips so much that it burns and smells bad.

Any indication of this in your M3 DCT?

centurion;369503 said:
there were reports that, on dual clutch cars including the Mitsu Evo X SST and Golf GTI, on the simulation of slushbox creep, especially uphill, the clutch slips so much that it burns and smells bad.

Any indication of this in your M3 DCT?

Haven't tried driving uphill using the creep mode, but the manual does say that one shouldn't use the throttle to balance the car on a slope or hill, otherwise there is a risk of burning out the clutch.

congrats on the ride... and thanks for the mini review. you must be having a ball...

a few questions...
is there any shift lag? (not throttle lag) in any mode? cos you've probably not tested the highest setting yet.

the software update should be just around perfect for you 2000km service.

FYI, the manual manual also says not to balance the car on a slope. But i just wondering whether in the DCT, you could balance the car on throttle? Does it mean the car can "half-clutch"?

cheers

yes the clutch can slip to emulate torque converter slip. The lack of mechanical sympathy for the slip performed by the computer is the main concern in other dualclutch implementations including the Mitsu SST and the GTI DSG.

In your manual, yes you slip the clutch but not too much. Because it takes effort to slip on your part. On an automated slip, doesn't take effort, you probably don't even know that it's slipping.

In reported SST incidents, the computer slips until `clutch overheat' message pops out on the screen and still the computer keep slipping.

"In reported SST incidents, the computer slips until `clutch overheat' message pops out on the screen and still the computer keep slipping."

Lucky manual cars have a safety override to prevent the above - it's called si-chia. :lol2:

Congrats on the M Eugene! Been a long time coming...

Congrats Eugene...
Enjoy in good health

This Dual Clutch tranny system is vastly different from the SMGII. Unlike the MDCT, the SMG version in Full Auto mode regardless of the speed shifting settings is quite jerky and u can feel the cogs changing. Obviously, it's worse when the setting is low.
I never used it in my previous ownership, piece of crap really. ...Paddles all the way!

For uphill move off in SMG2, while you are on the brake, you can use the left paddle to act like accelerator instead of using your right foot to quickly tap on the throttle.
Does M-DCT come with such feature?

Lastly, in order to enjoy the highest speed shifting, do you have to engage DSC OFF?
For your guide, SMG2 setting 6 can only be activated if DSC is OFF.

edlms;369532 said:
congrats on the ride... and thanks for the mini review. you must be having a ball...

a few questions...
is there any shift lag? (not throttle lag) in any mode? cos you've probably not tested the highest setting yet.

the software update should be just around perfect for you 2000km service.

FYI, the manual manual also says not to balance the car on a slope. But i just wondering whether in the DCT, you could balance the car on throttle? Does it mean the car can "half-clutch"?

cheers

Yah, not tested the highest setting, don't feel any lag in S mode. I'm used to shifting manually only with an auto, which is slow, so even if there is a lag in the DCT, it won't be obvious to me. I think the lag, if any will be felt more by folks used to driving SMG

TripleM;369647 said:
Congrats Eugene...
Enjoy in good health

This Dual Clutch tranny system is vastly different from the SMGII. Unlike the MDCT, the SMG version in Full Auto mode regardless of the speed shifting settings is quite jerky and u can feel the cogs changing. Obviously, it's worse when the setting is low.
I never used it in my previous ownership, piece of crap really. ...Paddles all the way!

For uphill move off in SMG2, while you are on the brake, you can use the left paddle to act like accelerator instead of using your right foot to quickly tap on the throttle.
Does M-DCT come with such feature?

Lastly, in order to enjoy the highest speed shifting, do you have to engage DSC OFF?
For your guide, SMG2 setting 6 can only be activated if DSC is OFF.

Thanks Jack, I'm actually quite lazy most of the time and leave it on auto, will probably use S more often when the car has run in.

No, the DCT doesn't have the left paddle tap feature, for creep mode, you have to tap the throttle lightly instead.

yup, for setting 6, DSC needs to be off, haven't tried this.

congrats gene.....bring it down on the next meetup.

what is guaranteed, this is the end of smg and auto gearbox, working sufficiently well to displace its weaknesses.

woow ///M3-DCT !!! Congrats !!! steamest BMW of all.

Does PML have a test car?

Ahbengdriver;369999 said:
woow ///M3-DCT !!! Congrats !!! steamest BMW of all.

Does PML have a test car?

PML does have another E92 M3 with M-DCT sitting at their Dunean Rd location, I saw it last Sat. I think it's Silverstone II with palladium silver interior and looks great!

That S6 with sports mode on can be addictive Eugene...u r gonna love it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8may88vip
Back