bmw 320i stalled in flood

s7923332

Hi, my 3.5 years old bmw was involved in the flood. I was driving.then, guess water went into my engine. Axa insurance offer to let me send back to pml or to file for total loss. Can i ask for advice? Anyone know how much I will get back if total loss. Not what model i should buy next.

Re: bmw 320i stalled in flood

my assumption is a 'big loss' to a owner when insurance go with total loss because what they offer is much lesser than what the car can get at open market.

s7923332;497892 said:
Hi, my 3.5 years old bmw was involved in the flood. I was driving.then, guess water went into my engine. Axa insurance offer to let me send back to pml or to file for total loss. Can i ask for advice? Anyone know how much I will get back if total loss. Not what model i should buy next.

Anyway ur insurance will be affected next yr, ur NCD will be gone, premium will be high on next car u own, why not claim maximum from AXA & ask PML rebuilt the whole car.Total loss based on market values.. & insurer usually will based on paper values + a little body value.. so u need do research to show the market value.. one way is fr sgcarmart or classified ads.

If u have outstanding loan... hmmm dun think u can get much cash.
If fully paid or high initial downpayment then still ok.
next car buy hummer with exos on the roof.... no scare flood.

sad to hear this kind of news.

I heard if ur rev is high in flood, it will not have this problem.. Is it true?
If that is the case, should have shift to 'M' Mode (manual) and built up the rev.

B33M3R;498022 said:
I heard if ur rev is high in flood, it will not have this problem.. Is it true?
If that is the case, should have shift to 'M' Mode (manual) and built up the rev.

If the water level is considerably high, revving up the engine will only draw more water into the engine.

forget it kill the car. u will probably solve the problems...then 3 mths later this break down. 6 mths later something else..rust la....etc not worth the hassle. electrical faults..hard to resolve.

Agree with Toto...kill it. Move on...

thank you for all your advice. I have asked AXA to file for total loss. Will wait for AXA and we'll see how much they are going to give me. Lost a bit of confidence in 320i, when i first bought it, oil leakage....then air bad problem, spend 2 K to solve the problems.....drive less than a month, then it's gone. Any other model you recommend? Heard that PML selling second hand car. Is it better to buy from them or other traders. The price by pml negotiable?

but the intakes position are quite high up unless you have install CAI at bumper or driving through waist high water...else don't understand how water be sucked into your block. ???

If budget not an issue, e92 335i ir even the M3. Even their clearance 520i seems like pretty good deal with the aero kit. Alpine white, glack grills, new wheels....white shark in the making.

Hi S792332,

i agreed with Toto as well...................

Probably you wanna try to go with a 6 cyc for this time around.............

if power is needed, then 335i if not either 323i or 325i should be good on our sg road........

how about the Z4?

cheers

s7923332;498041 said:
thank you for all your advice. I have asked AXA to file for total loss. Will wait for AXA and we'll see how much they are going to give me. Lost a bit of confidence in 320i, when i first bought it, oil leakage....then air bad problem, spend 2 K to solve the problems.....drive less than a month, then it's gone. Any other model you recommend? Heard that PML selling second hand car. Is it better to buy from them or other traders. The price by pml negotiable?
Did u restart ur car rite after it stall? If yes, most likely need to replace conrod, piston & piston ring (major item). Based on my limited understanding, these things does not cost more than 5k. If stall due to water sucked into engine, do not restart. Instead, get a tow truck & go to PML. Juz need to change oil, air filter & spark plug.

For E90, it is not a good idea to drive thru flooded road as air intake is on top of radiator & it is behind kidney grill. If really need to drive thru, drive using steptronic, limit it to 1 gear & constant speed. Lastly, keep a great distance from car in front.

Deadkookaburra;498046 said:
but the intakes position are quite high up unless you have install CAI at bumper or driving through waist high water...else don't understand how water be sucked into your block. ???
It is high but it is rite at the back of kidney grill. The same thing happen to a fren of mine in Malaysia. His damage is about RM4K (at dealer workshop).

Hi from the advice, I will be looking to a bmw 323i, or a mark x to.replace 320 i. Any comments? May even.look at rx8

s7923332;498104 said:
Hi from the advice, I will be looking to a bmw 323i, or a mark x to.replace 320 i. Any comments? May even.look at rx8
screw the RX8. all the power comes at a very high rev zone. ur petrol bill will prob be worst off then a 325.

if ur considering a 323 i rather u ust jump straight to the 325. price diff is not much and u get 20 horses more.

MarkX is up there with the bimmers, with probably more refinement. Drive wise it will not be as satisfying as the bimmer.

The intake pressure is very high especially when u r revving the engine. All it takes is for the car next to you to drive past and the water to splash up and get sucked together with the air into the manifold. Since water is not compressible, it would end up between the piston and valve and ending up bending the camshaft.

Deadkookaburra;498046 said:

s7923332;498104 said:

BMW = Sheer Driving Pleasure

happy searching
cheers

Back