Battery change DIY

Re: Battery change DIY

Advise to send back to authorise dealer to get it fix . Your car is fully computerise so don't take the risk .

If u changing back to an EXACT same model battery then can DIY. Else battery change to another type and/or amp needs to have the battery registered (aka car coded) to 'inform' the car that another battery type is installed. This is so that the car can adjust the charging accordingly.

1 can always refer to your car owner manual under battery section
If the book stated technical specification of the battery like 12v CA 500A etc
and teach you how to jump start in emergency situation or BEST even describe how to replace battery (disconnect negative first , reconnect positive first etc) you can change the battery yourself or can get outside workshop to replace for you so long new battery meet the specs
if the MANUAL started CLEARLY DO NOT ATTEMP TO REPLACE BATTERY BY YOURSELF OR OUTSIDE WORKSHOP. (DONT DO IT )
AND i personally wont buy this car :yikess:

Please do not offer a misinterpretation of advice. You cannot change the battery properly yourself. You will need a diagnostic tool to perform up to 2 functions:

1. Register the new battery with the dme so that it will know that all previous values of charging and discharge are no longer valid. I.e. reset the history. If you DIY yourself, (like AA change batt), go to a BMW shop to get this reset.

2. If you use a bigger or smaller batt, you will need to code the dme and CAS to tell the car what is the new spec. And the specs are based on capacity and type of batt. A figure of 500+ tells me that you are looking at discharge current instead of capacity.

Sorry if I had to correct this so abruptly.

Cheers

Thanks all. NOw I understand battery change not so straight forward.
R2D, can u pm me the price for batt change? E90 320i

Have a question related to 325i LCI battery, my 2nd car dealer recently change the car battery to a AGM battery. Would like to know if PML 325I LCI model by standard also come equipped with AGM 80AH battery or not, so that i could understand whether the battery fit the standard battery map of this car without the need to do any programming. Apparently the PML dealership does not know whether the car comes with AGM or non-AGM battery by default!

dgyew;1097873 said:
Have a question related to 325i LCI battery, my 2nd car dealer recently change the car battery to a AGM battery. Would like to know if PML 325I LCI model by standard also come equipped with AGM 80AH battery or not, so that i could understand whether the battery fit the standard battery map of this car without the need to do any programming. Apparently the PML dealership does not know whether the car comes with AGM or non-AGM battery by default!

If PML does not know, then who will know ?
Next one up the rung to ask should be BMW AG.

Jason8822;1097883 said:

Maybe the existing E90 325i LCI owners can advice.

Jason8822;1097883 said:

All of them know nuts about technical. They only know how to ketuk $

You can check by decoding your VIN number ......

dgyew;1097873 said:

Red_Bean_Bun;1097939 said:
You can check by decoding your VIN number ......

Oh, which particular option code would give it away that it's AGM or non-AGM?

Only has this S570A Stärkere Stromversorgung Reinforced power supply, but don't think this has anything to do with the battery after much google.

can DIY change of your bimmer battery?
refer to your car owners manual , see what BMW stated inside the book
most car manufacturers allow DIY of your car battery (so logically your outside workshop is also can do the jog for you as service provider to End user )
my family previous Mercedes S class / volvo book stated clear with step by step procedures how to replace your battery.
as for bimmer I am not so sure may be any can share by referring to your manual

Extract from E90 manual:

"BMW Service will gladly advise you on all matters relating to batteries."

When my car was into its 4th year, I had some error massage from I-Drive. I drove to PML immediately but the SA said the voltage was ok. I got it changed at the next service just in case. The new 80Ah battery for 6-cylinder engine models plus coding, labour & GST add up to just below $400.

I am thinking to change my original battery. Was told by the workshop that the change just a normal plug and play. Did not require any registration or coding to the car system. The battery they quote is 5Ah higher than my original ones. Brand is Moll.

Another workshop recommended bosch 100Ah with battery registeration.

Bigger "Ah" is better? My stock is 80Ah.

What do you guys think? Which one should I go for.

Last edited by a moderator:

U should look at the CCA not the Arhhhh ...

usually our rides have 80 cca. try bigger cca ... then get it coded @codeworkz...

Back