Almost knock down a PRC cyclist...

flyboy

Was turning right into Eu Tong Seng Rd from Cantonment Rd, right turning light was in my favour....

Looking out for cars from the opposite traffic before slowly making the right turn from stationary.

Pedestrain crossing is already RED.

Out of nowhere, a Chinese cyclist was cycling across the road without stopping, cutting across my path.... jammed brake and avoided knocking into him. Raised his hand and 'apologized' and continued.

Managed to catch up with him and gave him a shelling!!! Can recognise from his reply he is a PRC.

Hypothetically speaking, if I had really knocked him... would I have a case? Would TP have the traffic light indications given the exact timing?

Seriously thinking of installing a in-car DVR....

Re: Almost knock down a PRC cyclist...

Just do it. These days, its so hard to defend oneself.

once a driver knock down anything sure got issue........right or wrong is another story all together............................( depends on your cam )

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Last check w a law adjuster. Even if they are at fault, car hitting pedestrian, car driver is always wrong.

Accurate as of March 2013 =)

fu3g0;980949 said:
Last check w a law adjuster. Even if they are at fault, car hitting pedestrian, car driver is always wrong.

Accurate as of March 2013 =)

Prima facie, yes. But the proportionate of the fault (and damages) will follow the amount of recklessness of the pedestrian or cyclist.

Meek;980950 said:
Prima facie, yes. But the proportionate of the fault (and damages) will follow the amount of recklessness of the pedestrian or cyclist.

Yup, same happened to me 2 years ago. Bangla dude on his bike zoomed across a crossing, knocked into my car. After investigations TP sent me a love letter with 6 demerits and $150 compound for "not keeping a proper lookout while driving" and as a post-script also noted that since cyclist was also in the wrong would be pursuing him as well.

Still didn't help my points / summons!

how can the law be so slanted and biased!?!?

so no point in investing in a DVR huh?

340driver;980969 said:
Yup, same happened to me 2 years ago. Bangla dude on his bike zoomed across a crossing, knocked into my car. After investigations TP sent me a love letter with 6 demerits and $150 compound for "not keeping a proper lookout while driving" and as a post-script also noted that since cyclist was also in the wrong would be pursuing him as well.

Still didn't help my points / summons!
It does not make common sense leh.

TP said Bangla is in the wrong for zooming across. How does a reasonable person keep a proper lookout?

Meek;980950 said:
You are right.

flyboy;980973 said:
how can the law be so slanted and biased!?!?

DVR will prove how "less wrong" you are...

Almost knock down a PRC cyclist...

I had many many instances of close shaves with cyclists. They dash across pedestrian crossings and sometimes with their headphones blasting away where they can't even hear me coming. If you knock into the cyclist and he is in the wrong, you will need witnesses to prove that. Unfortunately because the cyclist is more "vulnerable", he/she will always be viewed as the "victim" in an accident with a vehicle. Although not stated in the Road Traffic (Bicycles) Rules of the Road Traffic Act, the Singapore Police had advised that cyclists crossing pedestrian crossings should dismount and cross on foot (ST Forum, 15 Jul 2012). A car video offers the best evidence of any such accidents especially when it shows the negligence of cyclists. That's why I've invested in a car video camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

davidtch;980977 said:
It does not make common sense leh.

TP said Bangla is in the wrong for zooming across. How does a reasonable person keep a proper lookout?
We need one of the MIW to be caught in such an incident before the Rules/Laws will be adjusted accordingly, otherwise LPPL, fact of SG Life... they don't value their lives while dragging innocent drivers along.

Baby1M;981025 said:
We need one of the MIW to be caught in such an incident before the Rules/Laws will be adjusted accordingly, otherwise LPPL, fact of SG Life... they don't value their lives while dragging innocent drivers along.
The problem in this incident is that the person writing that love letter has no common sense. Since TP has acknowledged that Cyclist is in the wrong by zooming across, how does a reasonable person be able to keep a proper lookout?

davidtch;981029 said:
The problem in this incident is that the person writing that love letter has no common sense. Since TP has acknowledged that Cyclist is in the wrong by zooming across, how does a reasonable person be able to keep a proper lookout?

Maybe all drivers are expected to look out for every thing that moves and expect them to zoom out wrongly all the time?

davidtch;981029 said:
They are seldom permitted to practise common sense but 'just follow lor'... I meant law :p

flyboy;980944 said:
Seriously thinking of installing a in-car DVR....

flyboy;980973 said:

Why is it such a big decision?

Another real life ridiculous incident that happended to my colleague:

He was driving pass a zebra crossing which was clear of pedestrians...china lady on bicycle came after the first half of his car pass the crossing and knock onto the rear portion of his car...fell and make lots of noise saying she's injured...end up, my colleague got demerit and fined, he also has to compensate the lady for loss of her ability to work!

How fair is that?

For $150 .... no need common sense.

davidtch;981029 said:

Baby1M;981033 said:
They are seldom permitted to practise common sense but 'just follow lor'... I meant law :p

Red_Bean_Bun;981053 said:
For $150 .... no need common sense.

Meek;981031 said:
Maybe all drivers are expected to look out for every thing that moves and expect them to zoom out wrongly all the time?
In that case, would the POLICE/reasonable person be able to keep a proper lookout?

I think in Singapore, we could still use reasonable person as a yardstick, right??

They can't even lookout for a limping guy that jumped out a window and ran halfway across SG on foot ........

davidtch;981056 said:
In that case, would the POLICE/reasonable person be able to keep a proper lookout?

I think in Singapore, we could still use reasonable person as a yardstick, right??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bestsolicitors2112
Back